Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2018 for Linux

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
8487 Views, 14 Replies

Maya 2018 for Linux

My name is Kristoffer and Im a concept art student from Sweden. I switched to Linux but I cant seem to find Maya 2018 installation package for the operating system. The req. of Maya states clearly that Linux is compatible. But when I surf over to Student version you can only choose MacOS and Windows.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

• Microsoft® Windows® 7 (SP1) and Windows® 10 Professional operating system
  • Apple® Mac OS® X 10.11.x, 10.12.x operating system
  • Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 6.5  & 7.2 WS operating system
  • CentOS 6.5  & 7.2 Linux operating system

Message 3 of 15
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

It's strange it's not appearing but have you checked under your account settings?

To do so, please go to manage.autodesk.com

Once here, you can sign in with your account and filter to Linux OS and you should see the option to download Maya 2018.

If this doesn't work, feel free to let me know and we can troubleshoot some more!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 4 of 15
sean.heasley
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I'm just checking in again to see if you need more help with this. Were you able to find the download for the Linux version of Maya with the links I provided above?

If so, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

Hi Sean! Thank you so much for your help. It worked, I found it under my account but not at the download directly from Eduucational website. There is only windows and macOS to choose. This is supergood news. Now Im happy. 

Message 6 of 15
sean.heasley

Great! I'm glad it worked for you!

Message 7 of 15
vazquez_barz

Is the student version ready? I don't see it yet for Linux :B

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous

The student version is accessible from your account. It’s better to get it from there anyways as the Education site will only give you the base release, not the updates.

I think the Linux Download option was removed from the Education site because, if I’m being honest, we are far and few between. Institution administrators know where to be getting the builds.

Just go through the motions of picking Maya 2018 so that it gives you a license/product key and it should show up in your account relatively soon afterwards.

Cheers,
Mike
Message 9 of 15
vazquez_barz

Yes, I got the way to installed with a Winbugs license.

Do not surrender on good O.S. if you let it die, it would be a mistake. Students have no option to get a private a expensive System as a Mac or PC, because in most parts of the world what is left behind is an original product. Endorse education.

I understand that poeple try to make things easy, Linux is not hard, is sorrounded by myths.

Many students in the world don't have an original Microsoft Windows license. Windows is promoting Piracy, because students can't afford it.

I say, never surrender on good things, even if you can, promote Linux. That teached me to be the most legal that I can. In the future, when I am able to be am entrepreneur, I will purchase Maya over max, because it runs in a free, secure and lightweight environment, Linux.
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: vazquez_barz

I wish they would at least include install instructions or support for other distributions besides CentOS.

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 15
vazquez_barz

It should not be that difficult, here is a hint. All Linux distros share almost all same Libraries. For some strange reason every distribution change the name of some, that's why it makes a little bit difficult, but installing the missing and linking to the name of the lib that you have on your Linux Flavor, Maya will recognize it and it will work.

An RPM distro has less work to do because packages are almost the same. I had no troubles in the past with Fedora, Open Suse installing Maya. It was a big show when trying on Debian distros like Ubuntu and Elementary, but if you like the distro that you have, then, do a little bit of effort and it will work. I was close to install Maya on Arch Linux, but time was killing me and I needed to deliver a project. I think I will try again in the future.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous

Hey. Thank you for your tip. I dont run Maya anymore, I´m using Houdini now on WIndows 10. It is interesting that they share the sa3me libraries, just change the names. Probably if I dig I would have found a solution. Good luck!! Great tip!

Message 13 of 15
vazquez_barz

There is Haudini for Linux, Windows 10 for me is not a real OS due to the fact that has a lot of resources that are used in vain. Even if you don't use Maya, I recommend to keep using Linux. Having a Desktop Environment such as Openbox it lets you use way more resources. 
I stick to Maya on Linux because I like it for many reasons, haha. Give a chance to Maya on Linux and you will see what I mean.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Yep. Its just that Im a gamer as well, fortunate to be part of the work I want to do, and installing Linux will kill all my Steam games, also Origin and Uplay. I love these services, and yes I´ve tried to dig around a bit on how Linux is handling those, and it is a disaster from start to finish. I would gladly do it, but I feel like giving up to much for the reward. Don´t get me wrong, Linux is in my heart, its just that it doesn´t support those services. Now, perhaps I could run a dual boot, but that is really not an option. Its either or............Maya is awesome, I´ve used it for some time, I really like it, but Houdini is fraction of the price, and more versatile than Maya. And if Maya is used in the pipeline there is Houdini Engine plug for it so you can export anything you want with variables, parameters from H. and so on....

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Hi!

Well, Houdini is an up and coming tool like Maya that can handle alot of things. Most known for its FX capabilities, it is really versatile and can compete with any 3D program within the range. You have amazing fur, crowd simulation, pyro, fluids, animation, modeling and it speaks well with Maya through Houdini Engine. The indie version for one year is 270 dollars. I can´t say that it is better than Maya, but it has all these features out of the box, no need for plugs. It uses a renderer called Mantra, but you can also use 3rd party ones like Redshift, Octane etc. It is entirely node based, besides the direct interaction capabilities. It is a sleeping giant. Here is the link. Hope it helps. You can download Houdini Apprentice, which is free, and look for yourself. This version is watermarked on renders. It is also used more frequently in game asset creation, rigging etc. I feel sort of strange to post this here, since its Autodesk site, and I feel like I´m stepping on their toes, but everyone is entitled to choose for themselves. Good luck!

https://www.sidefx.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report