Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about downloaded version and trouble with moving vertices

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
391 Views, 6 Replies

Question about downloaded version and trouble with moving vertices

I noticed I'm having issues with my version of Maya compared to a 2017 tutorial by the Gnomon workshop, and the download I have said it was for Windows 64.  I saw something that said 64 bit, but my Windows version is 10, so I'm not sure what the deal here is.  Forgive me if this seems elementary.  Also, I am trying to move around some vertices like I see in the tutorial, but my version is behaving different than the tutorial's.  Here's a picture of what I'm trying to do.  

Capture 6.PNG

and here is my version, mine moves the whole object even though I have messed around with component and object mode and neither are working....i've selected vertices with the right click button and it still doesn't move the vertices the way i want.  

Capture 7.PNG

Mine is acting ridiculous and selecting the whole object even though im in component mode....this is really getting on my nerves

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
mspeer
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi!

Soft Selection (Hotkey "B").

Please read the Maya Online Help / Documentation for more details.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

No, there is an issue with my version and I'm not able to follow along with the tutorial.  I don't understand why Maya is so widely used for games and character art if there's issues like this??? The UI is very similar from 2017 till my 2018 version, but when I go to do certain things, it doesn't work.  Now I can't see face normals when I press display>polygons>face normals.  I'm over it... Is there a way to become a character artist for a game studio and not use this program?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

I figured out the problem!!!!!!!! I had to delete the pref files to get rid of some messed up changes I made to Maya, and now I'm able to follow along just fine for now.... sorry for the confusion everyone!

Message 5 of 7
mspeer

Hi!

@Anonymous to make this clear.

The problem with the moving vertices was caused by having Soft Selection enabled, so just disabling this features would have solved the problem.

A reset of preferences does the same but this resets all other settings too.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: mspeer

I tried enabling and disabling the soft selection by pressing b, and it didn't solve my problem.  The way I was trying to move two vertices in conjunction wasn't working like it was supposed to according to the tutorial, and deleting the pref docs did the trick.  I guess the way I'll move forward is to delete the pref docs when I can't figure something out and see if that fixes my issues.  Thanks though you all for the support, I'm a newb so it helps.  

Message 7 of 7
mspeer

Hi!

@Anonymous. There may have been some other settings too that i can't see from your screenshot (like the yellow highlight for soft selection) that also prevented you from getting the desired result.

If you are not sure what causes the problem, resetting the preferences is of course the most time saving solution.

"I guess the way I'll move forward is to delete the pref docs when I can't figure something out and see if that fixes my issues."

That's totally OK.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report