Community
Maya Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2018 fatal error, attempting to save in error

80 REPLIES 80
SOLVED
Message 1 of 81
Anonymous
76547 Views, 80 Replies

Maya 2018 fatal error, attempting to save in error

Im using Maya 2018 student version and whenever i try to load anything, blank scenes, full scenes and new scenes the program will simply not load and instead display a fatal error message in the output box. i have tried numerous methods to solve this including performing a clean uninstall/reinstall, altering the system environment, adding it to my nvidia control panel and finally attempting to install new drivers. None of them worked and now im at a loss, any help would be appreciated. the attached image is a screencap of the error.

80 REPLIES 80
Message 2 of 81
sean.heasley
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous and welcome to the community!

This looks like it may be an issue with your gpu driver.

When you get a chance, can you please let me know what GPU you are using as well as the rest of your pc's hardware specs?

Steps to find your pc specs can be found here!

Its possible loading your GPU back to an older driver will fix this but I'd like to see which gpu you have before we go further!

Let me know if anything changes!

Message 3 of 81
Anonymous
in reply to: sean.heasley

i am using a geforce gtx 950m 

the rest of my pc specs are as follows

intel core I7-6500U cpu @ 2.50GHZ

8GB RAM

Windows 10

64bit OS 

hope this helps!

Message 4 of 81
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Thanks for posting your specs!

While the gtx 950m isn't on our certified hardware list, let's see if we can try something with the drivers.

First off, Can you check what driver version your GTX 950m is?

To do so follow these steps:

1. Open your Start Menu and type Device Manager

2. Under the 'Display Adapters' tab right click your gpu and select 'Properties'

3. Under the Details tab you will see Driver Version.

If you don't have the most recent version, you will want to try updating to the most recent version.

Steps to update your drivers can be found here!

Note: Often times it's possible that while you have updated your GPU drivers in the past, the old ones may still be hanging around causing this issue. So I'd recommend (as do Nvidia) uninstalling the old drivers before installing any new ones.

Nvidia have an article with steps on how to do so and can be found here.

Message 5 of 81
Anonymous

my driver version is  Geforce game ready driver 388.31. also my gpu has worked with maya before and i have been running maya for about a month and ive been running 3ds max for 2 years now.

Message 6 of 81
sean.heasley

Hmm okay.

When you get a chance, can you expand your output window and show the rest of the error?

The image you attached cuts off at "dxgi.dll!CompatString"

I'd just like to see the rest of the errors to see if there's anything else that might help us figure out whats causing the issue!

Message 7 of 81
Anonymous

here it is

Message 8 of 81
sean.heasley

Thanks for posting the full output!

I did some digging and the dxgi.dll errors seem to happen across a variety of programs aside from Maya.

Do you know if you have DirextX installed? If not, you can install it here!

Also, when you uninstalled and reinstalled Maya, did you perform a clean uninstall/reinstall of Maya? This will completely remove all the dll files that may be causing the issue so this can be a last resort step if the DirectX download does not work!

Message 9 of 81
Anonymous

i have the latest directx, directx12 and i performed a clean uninstall and install but the problem still persists

Message 10 of 81
sean.heasley

Hmm ok.

The issue is lying somewhere with directx and/or your gpu drivers.

When you get a chance, could you try uninstalling your current driver and installing an older version like 385.69 for example?

If Maya was working for you fine up until recently its possible that one of the recent driver updates may be causing the issue.

Let me know if this works for you!

Message 11 of 81
Anonymous

unistalled drivers and it reset me back to version 385.41. still doesn't work i have no idea what is causing this  

Message 12 of 81
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

Yeah this is pretty confusing Smiley Frustrated

Kind of a shot in the dark, but can you make sure that Maya isn't being blocked by your firewall or antivirus?

Steps to do so can be found here!

Also, have there been any major software updates or Windows updates recently that could be causing this?

Message 13 of 81
Anonymous

i did recently have a windows update which might of caused this actually. would there be anyway to reverse this?

Message 14 of 81
sean.heasley

Yup! You can find steps to do so here!

Since you're unloading an update, you may want to be safe and back up any important files or data before doing so!

Let me know how this goes for you!

Message 15 of 81
Anonymous

i just uninstalled the latest update and still nothing.

Message 16 of 81
sean.heasley

Hi @Anonymous

I forgot to ask earlier, you mentioned this happens when you open scenes with things in them as well as empty scenes but does this issue occur even if you just launch Maya normally and leave it with the blank default scene or does it happen as soon as you launch Maya?

Message 17 of 81
Anonymous

it happens when i launch maya as well with just a blank scene and i havent touched anything

Message 18 of 81
sean.heasley

Ok thanks for confirming that!

Another step you could try is deleting your settings/preferences

If this doesn't work you, you could also try setting up Maya so it launches with Legacy Viewport at launch. 

To do this:

1. Navigate to Documents\maya\2018

2. If there isn't one already, create a file called Maya.env

3. Open the Maya.env file with Notepad

4. Type 'MAYA_ENABLE_LEGACY_VIEWPORT=1'

5. Save the file

6. Run Maya

Here's a video as well on how to activate Legacy Viewport

Please let me know if this helps or if you need any more assistance!

If one or more of these posts helped answer your question, please click Accept as Solution on the posts that helped you so others in the community can find them easily.

Kudos are greatly appreciated. Everyone likes a thumbs up!

Message 19 of 81
Anonymous

once again both fixes didn't work and its still saying fatal error message

Message 20 of 81
sean.heasley

Hmmm ok.

Is your 2018 version of Maya on Update 1? If not could you please update to Update 1 and see if that works?

Also, by chance would you happen to have 2017 installed and if so, does that run normally?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report