Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to build a leash rig on dog to walk?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
stevenfila7
1597 Views, 9 Replies

how to build a leash rig on dog to walk?

Good day all,

So, I am new to rigging/parenting/dynamics/etc.   I have heard of many ways to do this and just looking for a simple one that will not slow down my anim or playblast time.

I have a biped character walking a dog with leash.  I want to to put character's hand holding leash in IK for parenting purposes.  The dog will be walking next to char.

Is there a simple set up to make a leash and parent it to dog's neck and then IK hand?  If so, are there any videos / tutorials or screen shots that explain this since I am new to this?

Thank you,

Steve

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

@stevenfila7 

Thanks for posting! What version of Maya are you using? Maya 2019 offers cached playback which could help speed up your animation workflow.

I found this handy tutorial that could be helpful for creating the dog leash: Maya 3D Basics - Animating a Swinging Chain

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 3 of 10

Good day Faline,

I am currently using 2018.5.  The video is pretty cool.  However, it doesn't really go into detail about attaching one end of the leash/object to a character and the other end of the leash to another character.

If you know any ideas or suggestions by all means I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank you,

Steve

Message 4 of 10

@stevenfila7 

I would suggest a simple parent constraint to hold the leash to each side. Check out this page: Animate and constrain an object

This will be keyable so you can animate picking up and releasing the leash for example.

Faline Custodio Da Silva

Message 5 of 10

Good day,

Thanks for getting back.  Greatly appreciated.  So, when I follow the video how would I set up simple controllers on the joints for easy access when selecting dog leash?  From there I would need to create null groups, locators for offset?

The parenting stuff I can relate to but it is the building of the leash is what I struggle with.

Please advise and best,

Steve

Message 6 of 10
sean.heasley
in reply to: stevenfila7

Hi @stevenfila7 

I'd recommend following along with something like this:

Once you get this to a steady point you could parent it to a dog model and go from there.

Message 7 of 10
stevenfila7
in reply to: sean.heasley

Hey Sean,

I will give it a whirl.  I have yet to find something where there is a rig set up for a dog leash.  Not sure if this will work when constraining to a character's hand?

Please advise and regards,

Steve

Message 8 of 10
sean.heasley

Hi @stevenfila7 

If you get the core of the leash rig working it should just be a matter of parenting and hierarchy order of the rigs for it to stay attached to the hand and follow its motions etc but please let me know how it goes!

Message 9 of 10
stevenfila7
in reply to: sean.heasley

Thanks Sean!

If I cook something up, I will let you know:)

best,

steve

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

Have you cooked some thing. Thanks to this post because of this i am able to learn to create dog's leash . That's fantastic.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report