Community
Maya Animation and Rigging
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya animation topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rigging a closing tripod legs with hinges?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
280706JENED9
434 Views, 4 Replies

Rigging a closing tripod legs with hinges?

I'm trying to rig a camera tripod with connecting hinges. As you go to close the tripod, I would like the legs to move towards the center and their hinges to rotate. I am currently using point and aim constraints but cannot seem to find the right combination to get it working (see attached gif).

1 Tripod Hinge.gif

I've also attached the working file to help make it easier to understand my parenting structure.

Tags (2)
Labels (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcw0
in reply to: 280706JENED9

This is a straight trig issue.  You know the hypotenuse (length of the leg).  As you raise the leg along the central shaft, the angle = acosd(height on shaft/hypotenuse).

Message 3 of 5
280706JENED9
in reply to: mcw0

Thank you for the reply @mcw0! While I am following the idea, I am unsure of how to apply it into the rigging system. Could you please elaborate more?

Message 4 of 5
mcw0

Measure the length of the leg geometry from rotation pivot to end of leg.  Grab the node that rotates the leg geometry and determine the rotation axis that you want to control.  Create an expression on the rotation channel.  For example, if it's rotateX...

rotateX = acosd(nodeThatLiftsLeg.translateY / lengthOfLeg);

Message 5 of 5
dinofiguera

Create one skeleton joint at each moving pivot position (3 joints) 

connect the joints like a leg, create an IK handle between them.
parent constraint the IK handle to the Up and down control
parent the geometry to the bones and the bones to your main control and you don't need anything else.

Remember to properly orient the joint axes before applying the IK handle...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report