Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd DLL Behavior

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
larry.daubenspeck
426 Views, 8 Replies

Odd DLL Behavior

We have a home-grown Inventor addin (2017) that is executed within an assembly.  It creates a new part (a cable) and then places it, along with some cable clamps.  If executed a second time (let's say something changed slightly in the cable routing), it first searches for any existing cables and clamps and deletes them before doing its thing.  All works well for a dozen designers.  The problem is that for 3 designers, while the subsequent execution deletes the clamps, it does NOT delete the cable (and this causes problems later in the program).  Same software, same DLL, same workflow, different results.  Actually, this problem has dogged us for years, through several software upgrades, as well as hardware changes.  

In the course of troubleshooting, one recent thing we tried was to export the Application Settings from a "working" PC, then import them into a "non-working" PC, but to no avail.  At the same time, we can't help but think it's some setting we've overlooked somewhere.

Are there any gurus out there with similar experiences, and hopefully, a timely suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

Larry Daubenspeck
Software Programmer
Draper, Inc.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi,

Same service pack of inventor?

Same Framework installed.

Are you having systems that have different settings like:

• Hide extensions for known file types. use the same settings for all.
  • How did you deploy the add in, in the company?
  • do you need server request for your code? use IP address instead of server-name or share.

Are you willing to share the code.

You could do that also with a private message

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 3 of 9
Brett.G
in reply to: larry.daubenspeck

How are you searching for the cable and clamp for deletion?  Are you searching through the occurrences in the assembly for a Part Number or some other property?  Could whatever field you're searching for somehow be different for those 3 users?

Message 4 of 9

Thank you for your suggestions.  Yes, everything is the same, plus like I said, we've had the same issue through software and hardware upgrades.  The DLLs are stored on a server, and there is an executable which updates a users DLLs.  The DLLs are copied to a specific folder on each machine, so it's easy to check on the version being used.  The addin uses local files, so no access to servers is being utilized.

Larry Daubenspeck
Software Programmer
Draper, Inc.
Message 5 of 9
larry.daubenspeck
in reply to: Brett.G

Brett, it's iterating through the occurrences, looking for a specific name.  The name is created the first time the addin is run.  The problem only appears on subsequent attempts.

Larry Daubenspeck
Software Programmer
Draper, Inc.
Message 6 of 9

I would get the users whose machines misbehave to try and log into known-working machines to see if it's a (localised) user permissions issue when running the tool.
Message 7 of 9
Brett.G
in reply to: larry.daubenspeck

One thing you may try is debugging the addin on one of the bad computers and following the code where the search for the Occurrence is taking place.   Perhaps there is something different happening with the search on the bad computers or the name is being created differently somehow.  

Message 8 of 9

Are you sure the correct dll are loaded. I test this with a visible version number in my add in name.
There are different locations to store the dll. Maybe they don't load the correct one because the old one is also in a different location. You understand my idea or suggestion,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 9 of 9
larry.daubenspeck
in reply to: Brett.G

Thanks Brett.  We loaded MS VS onto a "problem" machine and traced the code to where it erred.  Sure enough, it was some obscure PC setting which was causing a False where there should've been a True.  The three "bad" PCs all had the Hide File Extensions checked.  This was causing a problem where the code was looking for the cable's file name.  Changing my code from using the Equals to Contains solved the problem.

Larry Daubenspeck
Software Programmer
Draper, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report