Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I Change The Name of Features and Sketches Usin Logic

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
1829 Views, 10 Replies

How Can I Change The Name of Features and Sketches Usin Logic

Hello Everyone,

I came across this great post about renaming features in a part using iLogic (code below is from the solution of this post.) I was hoping to take it a step further to include other features, iFeatures and sketches.  Adjusting the code to update other features is pretty straight forward but, I am running into issues when I try to get iFeatures and/or sketches to rename.  I think this is due to my limited knowledge of code. 

Here is the Code I'm working with;

oDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
oBodies = oDoc.ComponentDefinition.SurfaceBodies

'look at the bodies
For Each oBody In oBodies
	i = 1
	'look at all the features that make up the body
	For Each oFeature In oBody.AffectedByFeatures
		'look at only extrude features
		If oFeature.Type = ObjectTypeEnum.kExtrudeFeatureObject Then
			'rename feature using solid name
			'and pad the number with zero if under 10
			oFeature.Name = oBody.Name _
			& " - Ext. " &  If(i < 10, "0" + CStr(i), CStr(i))
			i = i + 1
		End If
	Next
Next

In the code above, I think I need to change "oFeature" and ObjectTypeEnum.kExtrudeFeatureObject.  However, I don't know what I need to change this to.

Any idea how I can make this work?

Thanks,

Paul

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
philip1009
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes, you do need to change the code to account for every kind of feature you'll come across in the model tree before you can rename it.  Typically you have to get down through the component definition, then the collection of features you want to look at, then the specific feature out of that collection, then you can get to the property that stores the name you see in the browser.

Are you only looking to rename specific features in the model tree?  Otherwise it'll take a while if you want to account for everything Inventor has to offer.

Right now that code is only looking at Surface Bodies, you'll have to do a loop for every kind of feature you want to rename.

Message 3 of 11
clutsa

You were close... try this out

oFeatures = oDoc.ComponentDefinition.Features
i = 1
For Each oFeature In oFeatures 'look at all the features that make up the body

'look at only extrude features
	If oFeature.Type = ObjectTypeEnum.kExtrudeFeatureObject Then
		'rename feature using solid name
		'and pad the number with zero if under 10
		oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name _
		& " - Ext. " & If(i < 10, "0" + CStr(i), CStr(i))
		i = i + 1
	End If

Next
If I've helped you, please help me by supporting this idea.
Mass Override for Each Model State
Message 4 of 11
philip1009
in reply to: philip1009

Scratch what I said earlier, I wasn't aware that you could go right to the name without going through specific feature collections.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: clutsa

Clusta, that looks great. Thank you.  What would this code look like to rename Holes, iFeatures and/or Sketches?

Message 6 of 11
clutsa

I got this far but I have to do may actual job now I guess.Smiley Tongue I'm close on the sketch part but not all sketches have dependents so you'll have to find a way around that (I'm sure a Try/Catch could do it)

oSketches = oDoc.ComponentDefinition.Sketches
ext = 1
iFeat = 1
'same pattern for other feature counts here

Select Case oFeature.Type
	Case = ObjectTypeEnum.kExtrudeFeatureObject
		oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & " - Ext. " & If (ext < 10, "0" + CStr(ext), CStr(ext))
		ext = ext + 1
	Case = ObjectTypeEnum.kiFeatureObject
		oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & " - Ext. " & If (iFeat < 10, "0" + CStr(iFeat), CStr(iFeat))
		iFeat = iFeat + 1
	'Case = ObjectTypeEnum.k...
		'same pattern as above
	End Select
Next

For Each oSketch In OSketches
	If oSketch.Type = ObjectTypeEnum.kPlanarSketchObject Then
		For Each Dependent In oSketch.Dependents
'			If Not Dependent.Definition Is Nothing Then
'				oSketch.Name = Dependent.Definition.Parent.Name & " - Sketch"
'			End If
		Next
	End If
Next
If I've helped you, please help me by supporting this idea.
Mass Override for Each Model State
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous

Thank you Clusta!  that works perfect.  from there I was able to make everything I needed.  Sketches would be nice but, know the variables, I figured it would be more work that it was worth.

I would recommend editing the code you have though.  Although iFeatures are renamed, they are renamed as Ext.

What you have

oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & " - Ext. " & If (iFeat < 10, "0" + CStr(iFeat), CStr(iFeat))

Should be

oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & " - iFeat. " & If (iFeat < 10, "0" + CStr(iFeat), CStr(iFeat))

Thanks again for your help

Message 8 of 11
ldellaversano

when I use this rule for the first time everything works perfectly if after I do other processing and I use the rule again it gives me the following error:

Errore alla riga 11 nella regola: Regola0, nel documento: PivotconSA.ipt

Errore non specificato. (Eccezione da HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL))

unspecified error
How can I fix?

Message 9 of 11
WCrihfield
in reply to: ldellaversano

Hi @ldellaversano.  It is very difficult to determine what may be going wrong just based on the information you provided.  If the error happens again, can you look at the 'More Info' tab of the error message that shows, and translate that to English for us.  If you just take a screenshot of the error message, it will still be in be in your native language, and some of us will not be able to read it or translate it.  Usually there is a line of text within the 'More Info' tab that indicates what it was trying to do when the error was encountered, and we can use that to determine where in your code the error occurred.  But even that may not help if we can not see your code.  I suspect, based on your description that this may be a simple matter of needing to update the document after making some edits before trying to change the feature names again, but it is very difficult to judge on so little information.  Please include as much information as possible.

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

(Not an Autodesk Employee)

Message 10 of 11
ldellaversano
in reply to: WCrihfield

This is the other info:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Errore non specificato. (Eccezione da HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL))
in Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.LateBinding.InternalLateSet(Object o, Type& objType, String name, Object[] args, String[] paramnames, Boolean OptimisticSet, CallType UseCallType)
in Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateSet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments, Boolean OptimisticSet, Boolean RValueBase, CallType CallType)
in Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.NewLateBinding.LateSet(Object Instance, Type Type, String MemberName, Object[] Arguments, String[] ArgumentNames, Type[] TypeArguments)
in ThisRule.Main() in regola: Regola0, nel documento PivotconSA.ipt:riga 11
in Autodesk.iLogic.Exec.AppDomExec.ExecRuleInAssembly(Assembly assem)
in iLogic.RuleEvalContainer.ExecRuleEval(String execRule)

This is my code:

ext = 1
iFeat = 1
'same pattern for other feature counts here

Case = ObjectTypeEnum.kExtrudeFeatureObject
oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & "_Es" & If (ext < 10, "0" + CStr(ext), CStr(ext))
ext = ext + 1
oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & "_Es" & If (iFeat < 10, "0" + CStr(iFeat), CStr(iFeat))
iFeat = iFeat + 1
'same pattern as above
End Select
Next

Case = ObjectTypeEnum.kRevolveFeatureObject
oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & "_Riv" & If (ext < 10, "0" + CStr(ext), CStr(ext))
ext = ext + 1
oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & "_Riv" & If (iFeat < 10, "0" + CStr(iFeat), CStr(iFeat))
iFeat = iFeat + 1
'same pattern as above
End Select
Next

Case = ObjectTypeEnum.kFilletFeatureObject
oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & "_Racc" & If (ext < 10, "0" + CStr(ext), CStr(ext))
ext = ext + 1
oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & "_Racc" & If (iFeat < 10, "0" + CStr(iFeat), CStr(iFeat))
iFeat = iFeat + 1
'same pattern as above
End Select
Next

Case = ObjectTypeEnum.kChamferFeatureObject
oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & "_Sm" & If (ext < 10, "0" + CStr(ext), CStr(ext))
ext = ext + 1
oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & "_Sm" & If (iFeat < 10, "0" + CStr(iFeat), CStr(iFeat))
iFeat = iFeat + 1
'same pattern as above
End Select
Next

Thanks thousand

Message 11 of 11
WCrihfield
in reply to: ldellaversano

Hi @ldellaversano.  Here is a modified version of your code that I just created for you, but have not tested yet.  It looked to me like the problem you were likely encountering is that the code was trying to name another feature exactly the same as an already existing feature, which I don't think Inventor allows in the same document.  It is very easy to do, so it is difficult to avoid with a rule like this.  And I still can not guarantee that you will not encounter the same issue while using this version, but this version is a bit shorter and easier to look at.

Dim oDoc As Inventor.Document = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
Dim oFeatures As Object = oDoc.ComponentDefinition.Features
'must be different counter for each different type of feature
Dim iExt As Integer = 1
Dim iRev As Integer = 1
Dim iFill As Integer = 1
Dim iCham As Integer = 1
Dim iFeat As Integer = 1

For Each oFeature As PartFeature In oFeatures
	Case ObjectTypeEnum.kExtrudeFeatureObject
		Try
			oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & "_Es" & If (iExt < 10, "0" + CStr(iExt), CStr(iExt))
		Catch
		End Try
		iExt = iExt + 1
	Case ObjectTypeEnum.kRevolveFeatureObject
		Try
			oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & "_Riv" & If (iRev < 10, "0" + CStr(iRev), CStr(iRev))
		Catch
		End Try
		iRev = iRev + 1
	Case ObjectTypeEnum.kFilletFeatureObject
		Try
			oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & "_Racc" & If (iFill < 10, "0" + CStr(iFill), CStr(iFill))
		Catch
		End Try
		iFill = iFill + 1
	Case ObjectTypeEnum.kChamferFeatureObject
		Try
			oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & "_Sm" & If (iCham < 10, "0" + CStr(iCham), CStr(iCham))
		Catch
		End Try
		iCham = iCham + 1
	Case ObjectTypeEnum.kiFeatureObject
		'an iFeature can contain multiple other types of features
		'Dim oIFeature As Inventor.iFeature = oFeature
		'Dim oIFeatDef As iFeatureDefinition = oIFeature.iFeatureDefinition
		Try
			oFeature.Name = oFeature.SurfaceBodies(1).Name & "_Other" & If (iFeat < 10, "0" + CStr(iFeat), CStr(iFeat))
		Catch
		End Try
		iFeat = iFeat + 1
	End Select
Next

Wesley Crihfield

EESignature

(Not an Autodesk Employee)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report