Community
Inventor Programming - iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice
Inventor iLogic, Macros, AddIns & Apprentice Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics related to programming, creating add-ins, macros, working with the API or creating iLogic tools.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleting derived parameters that are not used.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Jef_E
850 Views, 8 Replies

Deleting derived parameters that are not used.

Hi,

I am trying to delete all unused derived parameters. I feel like they might slow me down and give unnecessary updates.

I tried to do this by code but I get a error.. Any Ideas what could be wrong? The error is thrown by the oDerivedParameter.Delete method.

For Each oDerivedParameter As DerivedParameter In DerivedParameterTable.DerivedParameters
        If Not oDerivedParameter.InUse Then oDerivedParameter.Delete()
    Next

An unhandled exception of type 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException' occurred in mscorlib.dll
Additional information: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Please kudo if this post was helpfull
Please accept as solution if your problem was solved

Inventor 2014 SP2
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Jef_E

Hi Jef,

This is a blog I did on that very topic a few years ago. Its old iLogic code, and haven't tested it in several years, but it used to work fine 🙂

http://classic.cadlinecommunity.co.uk/Blogs/Blog.aspx?ScoId=352228f8-6b7a-447f-a6bd-5b94590d3175&ret...

Thanks,
Luke

Message 3 of 9
DRoam

The problem has to do with which methods are available for "DerivedParameter" objects (which are part of the

Document.ComponentDefinition.Parameters.DerivedParameterTables(i).DerivedParameters

collection) as opposed to "DerivedPartEntity" objects (which are part of the

Document.ComponentDefinition.ReferenceComponents.DerivedPartComponents(i).Definition.Parameters

collection) -- both of which are different ways of accessing derived parameters.

The "InUse" method is only available for "DerivedParameter" and regular old "Parameter" objects, while the "IncludeEntity" method is only available for "DerivedPartEntity" objects.

You need to iterate through all "DerivedPartEntitity" parameter objects, check if a parameter of the same name is "InUse", and if it's not then use the "IncludeEntity" method on the "DerivedPartEntity" to remove it.

Another thing I've found is that for some reason you have to set the derived part component definition back to itself in order for the "IncludeEntity" method to take effect.

The following code should work for you (bear in mind there is no error handling):

Dim oDoc As PartDocument = ThisDoc.Document

For Each oDerivedPartComponent As Inventor.DerivedPartComponent In oDoc.ComponentDefinition.ReferenceComponents.DerivedPartComponents
	Dim oDerivedPartDefinition As Inventor.DerivedPartDefinition = oDerivedPartComponent.Definition

For Each oParameterEntity As Inventor.DerivedPartEntity In oDerivedPartDefinition.Parameters
		If Not Parameter.Param(oParameterEntity.ReferencedEntity.Name).InUse Then
			oParameterEntity.IncludeEntity = False
		End If
	Next 'Derived parameter
	oDerivedPartComponent.Definition = oDerivedPartDefinition
Next 'Derived part component

@Anonymous's code essentially does the same thing but with much more extensive proper checks, error handling, and user-friendly messages. However, one interesting thing I noticed about his code is it does not in any way check if a derived parameter is used before trying to delete it. The code simply tries to delete every derived parameter, and somehow Inventor is smart enough to not error out, and keep the parameter anyway, if it's used, which is pretty neat.

So the if-statement to check if the parameter is "InUse" really isn't necessary, and the code above could simply be:

Dim oDoc As PartDocument = ThisDoc.Document

For Each oDerivedPartComponent As Inventor.DerivedPartComponent In oDoc.ComponentDefinition.ReferenceComponents.DerivedPartComponents
	Dim oDerivedPartDefinition As Inventor.DerivedPartDefinition = oDerivedPartComponent.Definition

For Each oParameterEntity As Inventor.DerivedPartEntity In oDerivedPartDefinition.Parameters
		oParameterEntity.IncludeEntity = False
	Next 'Derived parameter
	oDerivedPartComponent.Definition = oDerivedPartDefinition
Next 'Derived part component
Message 4 of 9
DRoam

Oh and as for the ".delete" method, I'm not sure why that doesn't work but I'm assuming it's intended for normal User parameters, and it's for some reason "available" for use on Derived parameters, but doesn't work due to the fact that you can't really "delete" a derived parameter, you can only un-include it from the Derive operation. Hence the need to access the parameter via the DerivedPartDefinition object and use the IncludeEntity method.

Message 5 of 9
dgreatice
in reply to: DRoam

Hi,

I'm using VBA, try this :

Public Sub RemoveUnusedDeriveParam()
    Dim oApp As Application
    Dim oPD As PartDocument
    Dim oPCD As PartComponentDefinition
    Dim oDPC As DerivedPartComponent
    Dim oPs As Parameters
    Dim oMPs As ModelParameters
    Dim oMP As ModelParameter
    Dim oUPS As UserParameters
    Dim oUP As UserParameter
    Dim oDeriveParam As Parameter
    Dim NewDPCDef As DerivedPartDefinition
    Dim oBjCol As ObjectCollection

Set oApp = ThisApplication
    Set oPD = oApp.ActiveDocument
    Set oPCD = oPD.ComponentDefinition
    Set oPs = oPCD.Parameters
    Set oMPs = oPs.ModelParameters
    Set oUPS = oPs.UserParameters
    Set oDPC = oPCD.ReferenceComponents.DerivedPartComponents.Item(1)
    Set NewDPCDef = oDPC.Definition
    Set oBjCol = oApp.TransientObjects.CreateObjectCollection

For Each oDeriveParam In oDPC.Parameters
        If oDeriveParam.InUse = True Then
              Call oBjCol.Add(oDeriveParam)
        End If
    Next

For Each Item In oBjCol
        i = 0
        For Each oDeriveParam In oDPC.Parameters
            i = i + 1
            If Item.Name = oDeriveParam.Name Then
                NewDPCDef.Parameters.Item(i).IncludeEntity = True
            Else
                NewDPCDef.Parameters.Item(i).IncludeEntity = False
            End If
        Next
    Next
    oDPC.Definition = NewDPCDef
End Sub

Please use the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or KUDOS button if my Idea helped you to solve the problem.

Autodesk Inventor Professional Certified 2014
Message 6 of 9

Great. I also like your naming convention.

Message 7 of 9
DonStauffer99
in reply to: DRoam

I was getting no results until I tried setting the definition to itself after the change. It worked, but crashed with some kind of badly-described error. So I put it in a Try Catch block, and that got it through - changing ONE parameter only. After that, any attempt to access the objects causes another exception right away, including changing another parameter's IncludeEntity. So I can only change one parameter this way! Not sure why it's necessary to set the definition to itself anyhow. But if you have any ideas for me, I'm all ears.

Dim baseName As String = "C:\Users\Don\Documents\Inventor\Speaker Measurement Platform\Base Part.ipt"

Dim docDer As Document = ThisDoc.Document
	Dim docBase As Document = GetDoc(baseName)

'	Get information from derived document

Dim cdDerived As PartComponentDefinition = docDer.ComponentDefinition

'	Find base documents

Dim rcsDerived As ReferenceComponents = cdDerived.ReferenceComponents
	Dim dpcs As DerivedPartComponents = rcsDerived.DerivedPartComponents

'	Iterate base documents

Dim dpcBase As DerivedPartComponent
	Dim descBase As DocumentDescriptor

For Each dpcBase In dpcs

descBase = dpcBase.ReferencedDocumentDescriptor

Logger.Debug("  " & descBase.FullDocumentName)
		If descBase.FullDocumentName = baseName Then Exit For

Next dpcBase

If descBase.FullDocumentName <> baseName Then
		Logger.Debug(baseName & " not found.")
		Exit Sub
	End If

' Got an error doing docDer.Update too.
	'	This is the line that causes update to error:
	Dim dpd As DerivedPartDefinition = dpcBase.Definition

If dpd Is Nothing Then
		Logger.Debug("dpd Is Nothing")
	End If

'	Didn't work either:
	'dpd.IncludeAllParameters = True
	'exit sub

'	Works, but is system unstable after? Could it do two params?
	Dim dpes As DerivedPartEntities = dpd.Parameters
	Dim dpe As DerivedPartEntity

For Each dpe In dpes

Try

If dpe.ReferencedEntity.Name = "ParamToPass" Or _
			dpe.ReferencedEntity.Name = "PassThisToo" Then
			'Logger.Debug(" Found! Val was " & dpe.IncludeEntity)
			dpe.IncludeEntity = True
			dpcBase.Definition = dpd
			Logger.Debug(" Changed! Val is " & dpe.IncludeEntity)

' Exit For End If Catch End Try Next dpe End Sub
Message 8 of 9

I did find a workaround: duplicating all the code from the line:

Dim dpd As DerivedPartDefinition = dpcBase.Definition

to the end of the subroutine, just changing the parameter name. It derived both parameters. Obviously I can do that in a loop, so it's not too bad. But not sure why I'm having these errors.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80004005): Unspecified error (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80004005 (E_FAIL))
at System.RuntimeType.ForwardCallToInvokeMember(String memberName, BindingFlags flags, Object target, Int32[] aWrapperTypes, MessageData& msgData)
at Inventor.DerivedPartEntity.get_IncludeEntity()
at ThisRule.Main()
at Autodesk.iLogic.Exec.AppDomExec.ExecRuleInAssembly(Assembly assem)
at iLogic.RuleEvalContainer.ExecRuleEval(String execRule)

Message 9 of 9

Try this:

Public Sub x()

Dim oderivedparameter As DerivedParameter

Dim DerivedParameterTable As DerivedParameterTable
'DerivedParameterTable = ThisDocument.ComponentDefinition.Parameters.ParameterTables
For Each oderivedparameter In ThisDocument.ComponentDefinition.Parameters.ParameterTables

If oderivedparameter.InUse = False Then
        oderivedparameter.Delete

Next
End Sub

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report