Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improve parameter editor behavior when "Unable to parse equation" error results

Improve parameter editor behavior when "Unable to parse equation" error results

Community and Inventor Developers,

An improvement I request would be to change the parameter editor behavior after getting an "Unable to parse equation" error.

For example, while editing an equation you may inadvertently press ENTER. The "Edit Dimension Value" dialog box appears reporting the "Unable to parse equation" error. After pressing the Cancel button, your changes are lost and you must type the equation again.

Of course, some of you may know to use the Copy button in the dialog box to capture what you typed.

2021-11-18_15-56-12.png

Now you can Paste the text to restore the equation you tried to type. Yes, you must delete the "Unable to ..." text, but that is easy compared to typing a complicated equation again.

This restored editing state would require Inventor to skip calculation updates and to immediately go back to equation editing. I hope it is possible.

Would others find it beneficial if Inventor would restore the parameter editing state and recall the text that you had typed before pressing ENTER? This could eliminate the copy, paste, and delete steps. Perhaps add an "Edit" button to tell Inventor you want to continue editing the previous typed text.

I welcome your feedback and your vote.

Regards,

Jerry

7 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I get so tired of retyping those things. Good idea @JBerns!

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Many thanks for you posting this idea, and tracked as [INVGEN-56220]

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Future Consideration

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Accepted

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk

@JBerns @Anonymous 

we are investigating on this idea, and some progress is made. You can access the feedback community page to see what we have done

You could access the page below to understand how to join the Beta at https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/inventor-feedback-beta-project-how-do-i-get-access/td-...

Thanks,

River

Yijiang.Cai
Autodesk
Status changed to: Implemented

This idea has been implemented within Autodesk Inventor 2023.1. Please review the Inventor 2023.1 What's New article here. For more information regarding how you may leverage the feature, and please review this page. Special thanks to everyone who cast a vote for it.

JBerns
Advisor

That is great news! Thanks, @Yijiang.Cai .

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report