Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble extruding a parametric curve

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
747 Views, 9 Replies

Trouble extruding a parametric curve

I am trying to extrude the shape which I have made a 2D Sketch of, as seen. The end goal is to create a ramp of sorts, however I think the curve is causing some issues. It is a curve created from a the parametric equation

x: t-sin(t)

y: 1-cos(t)

I have tried extruding, revolving, lofting, free forming, and sweeping but every time I try I get the error "the attempted operation did not produce a meaningful result" I have checked in the sketch doctor which finds no problems, so I am at a loss. Any help would be appreciated!sc3.png

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
jhackney1972
in reply to: Anonymous

Please attach your part to your question so others can help.  An equation curve will normally only create a single sketch entity.  Your screen capture seems to show a curve box of some type.  You can extrude a single sketch but it will be a surface only, not a solid.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jhackney1972

I have now attached the file with my part. If the curve can only be a surface, does that mean there is no way to create a ramp with that specific curvature? Thanks for your quick reply! 

Message 4 of 10
jhackney1972

Your equation curve is not planar.  If you look at the 'Transformation" values, you will see a slight rotation.  I point this out in the screencast.  The solution is quick, unless you want to try and figure out the correct equation curve, create a new plane above the sketch plane, and project all the geometry.  This removes the rotation value from the equation curve.

Take a look at the screencast and you will understand.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 5 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: jhackney1972

Hi John,

Many thanks for providing the alternative solution! I am surprised that the 2D curve is not planar. It should not be the case. I suspect there is a singularity on the equation driven curve prohibiting the profile to be created properly. Somehow, projecting it as a reference curve "fixes" it. I need to take a closer look. Something is wrong here.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! Indeed, this does not look right to me. It should work. Besides John's workflow, you could also use Boundary Patch command to create a patch surface. Then use Thicken command or project the surface loop and create an extrusion.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Awesome. Thank you all!
Message 8 of 10
Xun.Zhang

Share a quick update, it was tracked by ticket INVGEN-8828.

Xun
Message 9 of 10
BRUND
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Just wanted to say thanks for the post.  I find it pretty odd that your equation curve wasn't planer.  I did an involute curve equation and I would have expected a planer result too.  I would be interested in a more in depth answer.

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue
in reply to: BRUND

Hi! Any 2D sketch is planar. The reason why this particular case fails to extrude is due to some high curvature area on the curve that cannot form a profile properly. Unfortunately, the defect INVGEN-8828 was closed as a limitation. I don't see a simple fix to this case.

But, I am not sure if your case is the same as this one. If possible, please share the file here or send it to me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I can help take a look to see if the issue is the same and also if there...

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report