Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale sketch in one axis only

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
3210 Views, 4 Replies

Scale sketch in one axis only

Is it possible to scale a sketch in one direction only?  The sketch is attached.  I would like the base of the sketch to remain in place and scale the rest of the sketch along the Y-axis without changing the X dimensions.  I found a post on this topic from a few years ago but was not able to replicate the solution.

I am using Inventor 2015 Professional on a Windows 10 machine.  Any tips here would be appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @akrefting,

It is a bit difficult in Inventor 2015, but it's easier in Inventor 2016 or above version. Create a new part with a new sketch, import the sketch and make an extrusion, make direct edit and scale the body, after that, create a new sketch and project the line, the result is what you want.

Refer more from video - 

http://autode.sk/2oUGasE

Hope it helps!

Xun
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Xun.Zhang,

Thank you for the response.  This sounds like a great solution - but I believe the direct edit scale feature was added in 2016.  Another post HERE shows the feature was added that year.

I tried the workaround suggested in that post with no luck either.

Message 4 of 5
kelly.young
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous can't think of a good way to do it in 2015. If you can't upgrade there might be a difficult but feasible way.

If you can get your dwg/image into a photo editor, skew vertically, and then bring back over as vector/dxf/dwg.

Cannot extrude DWG imported into inventor sketch - made in CorelDraw

Convert Image to DWG and Extrude in Inventor

How to create a solid from a binary image?

It is an interesting idea, might be more cumbersome that just redrawing, but could help depending on how attached you are to the shape!

Please select the Accept as Solution button if a post solves your issue or answers your question.

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: kelly.young

kelly.young,

Thanks for following up with another idea.  I ended up downloading a trial version of Inventor Professional 2018, then used the method proposed above.  It's easy when you have the right tools!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report