Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Documents on the Home Screen - No Updates?

42 REPLIES 42
SOLVED
Message 1 of 43
tdswanson
2291 Views, 42 Replies

Recent Documents on the Home Screen - No Updates?

Is anyone else finding that the "Recent Documents" section is not updating the files that you've been working on?  I'm on IV 2022.1.

Labels (1)
42 REPLIES 42
Message 2 of 43
SharkDesign
in reply to: tdswanson

Do you have any that are broken? Like the icon is white and shows like a torn image?

Click the trash can to delete that thumbnail and the rest should update. 

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 3 of 43
mcgyvr

@tdswanson  Any filters set? Maybe try resetting the filters and ensure its on "All Recent Docs"

mcgyvr_0-1628601521276.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 43
tdswanson

Have tried resetting the filters, didn't have much effect.  Also "pruned" and deleted the ones with the broken icon.  Also didn't bring any others back.

What I think is affecting this is crashes.  If I open Inventor first thing in the morning and use it all day, it'll be updating as I go along with my day.  But if it crashes in the middle of the afternoon, it seems like all those file links get wiped out.  When I restart Inventor, sometimes there will be NO files in the recent area even though I've been using it all day.

Message 5 of 43
SharkDesign

If I have a crash, I lose all thumbnails since the last time I successfully
closed inventor.
I'm on 2020 if that makes any difference.

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 6 of 43
tdswanson
in reply to: SharkDesign

Yeah, this is what I was thinking of.  However, there's definitely something broken.

I just opened a file, made some edits to an assembly.  Closed the file.  The file was then showing in the recent documents section.  I closed Inventor, waited a couple of minutes and restarted Inventor.  No documents in the recent section of the home screen.

Message 7 of 43
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me. Let me work with the project team and see if this is a known issue.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 43
Scott.Hawkins

Hi,
You are correct that if you crash that you won't see any Recent Documents that were added during that run.
Inventor tracks them as you open or save new documents and displays them in Home, but it does not actually save them until you shutdown Inventor without crashing.

I'm sorry that it does not actually solve anything, but hopefully it clears up the mystery a little.

Scott Hawkins

Inventor Software Developer
Message 9 of 43
Scott.Hawkins

I can't explain why when you opened a document and then closed Inventor that the document did not show up when you started Inventor again.  The recent documents are stored in the registry when Inventor shuts down cleanly.  There could be a defect in how that work flow was handled or it might also be possible that Inventor did not shut down cleanly. 

Is this something persistent or something you can repeat?

Scott Hawkins

Inventor Software Developer
Message 10 of 43
whamlin

2023 - Recents list (not found?) - Inventor-Home screen - gets replaced with a spilt-coffee graphic. That's kind of fun.

Message 11 of 43
sundars
in reply to: whamlin

Hi @whamlin 

Hmm, that can happen when either something goes wrong or the home page did not find some info.

1. Are you able to see Home page and its contents properly?

2. Can you please check to make sure you have all the latest updates

3. Do you have any recent files to list? i.e. can you try opening some file and closing it

4. Do you have any search string in the search bar and it's not able to find any hits.

If you can share some steps to reproduce we can certainly take a look at it.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 12 of 43
whamlin

It was just an observation. It does not have an adverse effect on me. I open my documents through Vault. 

I think t is because I cleaned out my temporary folders to free up disk space. I hope that helps.

I really did think it was fun.

Message 13 of 43
sundars

Home page does allow you to open vault files :). We have decent integration with vault including displaying file status, vault properties, open from vault etc. You should check it out if you haven't already done so. Would love to get your feedback on things which still have gaps. 

Nice to hear the new Home being referred to as "fun". Spilt coffee cup is probably much better than the usual error 404 🙂

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 14 of 43
yahyayaksiz

i have same issues on latest inventor. Still noone find fix this issue. İ was tried delete recent menu items too much times but not worked.

Message 15 of 43
sundars
in reply to: yahyayaksiz

Hello @yahyayaksiz 

If you have any steps to reproduce it, please let us know. If it's still not working, then you might want to try repairing your installation. 

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 16 of 43
tdswanson
in reply to: sundars

I'm the OP on this thread from Aug 2021. I was originally having issues on the old home screen not updating. Now it's been replaced by something that's way more frustrating and less useful. I would love to have my old home screen back even with the issues noted above. I'm in 2023.2.1 and would love to see a reverse update back to the old configuration.
Message 17 of 43
sundars

Hi @tdswanson 

Thank you for your comments. Unfortunately, that won't happen. We had to replace the old Home page for several reasons. While it was definitely functional, it had several flaws - e.g. it was built with old technology, difficult to maintain, too many issues, security flaws. The new Home page is built with the latest tech and we are striving to bring it to parity and make it better. You may already see better integration with vault, easier to access properties etc. As with any new tech, there are growing pains, but we will address them as we go.

I am happy to take your inputs back to the team or help resolve any issues you may have. We also have an ideas forum where you can post home page requests.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/2023-home-screen/idi-p/11077211/page/2#comments

Thank you

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 18 of 43
Frederick_Law

After I read this post, I got this:

Home-01.jpg

IV2023.3

Message 19 of 43
sundars

@Frederick_Law 

Any steps to reproduce? If you hit the Home icon in the QAT, does it get fixed?

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 20 of 43
Frederick_Law

Don't know how it got there.  Closed IV and it's ok.

The usual open multiple models.  Switch between Microsoft Team, Excel, Outlook, Chrome.

Saw the post about home problem.  Check mine and it's blank.

🤣

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report