Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Documents on the Home Screen - No Updates?

42 REPLIES 42
SOLVED
Message 1 of 43
tdswanson
2404 Views, 42 Replies

Recent Documents on the Home Screen - No Updates?

Is anyone else finding that the "Recent Documents" section is not updating the files that you've been working on?  I'm on IV 2022.1.

Labels (1)
42 REPLIES 42
Message 21 of 43
Frederick_Law
in reply to: sundars

@sundars wrote:

Any steps to reproduce? If you hit the Home icon in the QAT, does it get fixed?

Thanks

-shiva

It happend again.  No Home icon on QAT.

Message 22 of 43
sundars
in reply to: Frederick_Law

Hi @Frederick_Law 

Can you try logging out of vault (if you are logged in) and using a non-vault project? OR even better unload your vault addin?

It sounds like something went terribly wrong - having a blank screen indicates that the page did not render at all or get loaded. I will keep an eye out and see if we can repro this on our side - so far we haven't seen this but I will certainly keep the team in the loop.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 23 of 43
Frederick_Law
in reply to: tdswanson

It took about 5 minutes working on a model (editing Frame Gen today) for it to disappear.

Vault addin still running.

One assembly in Vault opened, ModelState.

One assembly with FG editing, not in Vault.

Message 24 of 43
sundars

Thank you for the update. Can you reproduce it without the vault addin running? I want to completely eliminate all calls to vault to rule it out. 

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 25 of 43
Frederick_Law

Vault Addin disabled and after 10 minutes, Home still working.

I just updated Vault Client to 2023.3 today.

Installed IV2023.3 and all licensing update last Friday.

Any log I can get for you?

Message 26 of 43
sundars

Can you tell me what columns you have displayed on your recents? Are you displaying any property columns? If so,

Can you please try one more experiment

1. Enable vault addin

2. Do not display any vault property columns

We use vault to

1. Update vault file status

2. Display vault properties (see column chooser)

I suspect that the vault api we are calling to update information is throwing an exception. We have wrapped up all vault calls with exception handlers so I am surprised that this still happens.

-shiva

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 27 of 43
sundars

@Frederick_Law Would you mind posting a screen shot of your Inventor About Box. I want to see what build of Inventor you are running. Inventor 2023.3 Build 359?

FYI....We did have an issue with vault api throwing exceptions in Inventor 2023.2 and was fixed in Inventor 2023.3.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 28 of 43
Frederick_Law

I had it opened for over 30 mins and it still working.

IV Build: 359, 2023.3

I had Grid View in Home.  Sort by: Last Opened

Colums:

Name,Status, Location, Date Modified, Last Opened, Pinned

Message 29 of 43
sundars

That's good to know. It doesn't look like there are any special vault properties displayed other than "status". AFAIK, all those api's have been covered and protected to not throw. I will forward it to our test engineers to see if they can reproduce it.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 30 of 43
Frederick_Law

Just started IV with Vault Addin.

Vault columns removed but Grid View still show Vault Status.

Message 31 of 43
sundars

Yes. Thats expected. Status is always shown. 

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 32 of 43
Frederick_Law

List View and Grid View both lasted over ten minutes without going blank.

Message 33 of 43
Frederick_Law

Turned Vault Status back on.

Both List and Grid View didn't go blank for over 5 minutes.

Message 34 of 43
Frederick_Law

@sundars 

Still getting blank Home view after using IV for a while.

Don't know when it happened.

Message 35 of 43
sundars

@Frederick_Law Sorry to hear that. Sounds like a failure to re-render the page - not even seeing the spilt coffee cup?! Honestly, I am not sure what could potentially cause that as we have never seen it before. Any steps to reproduce? 

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 36 of 43
Frederick_Law
in reply to: sundars

@sundars wrote:

Any steps to reproduce? 

Just keep working in IV LOL

Working with Model States, part and assembly.

Edit Model State table in execl.

Open files in Vault and File Explorer.

Some drawings.

Message 37 of 43
sundars

LOL. I hear you. We will investigate. Thank you.

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 38 of 43
Frederick_Law

Definitely will keep an eye on it.

@sundars 

Since you said in another post, Home use MS Edge.

Would Fiddler be able to catch something?

Message 39 of 43
sundars

@Frederick_Law Quite possible. I think if we could somehow capture the error state at the time of the blank screen that would help. A blank screen suggests a completely failure to render anything! I spoke to our QA and they have not been able to reproduce this - they have been trying really hard whole of last week.

We will continue to keep our eyes open for this issue. Thanks and if you have more info, please let us know.

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 40 of 43
Hunteil
in reply to: Scott.Hawkins

@Scott.Hawkins wrote:

Hi,
You are correct that if you crash that you won't see any Recent Documents that were added during that run.
Inventor tracks them as you open or save new documents and displays them in Home, but it does not actually save them until you shutdown Inventor without crashing.

I'm sorry that it does not actually solve anything, but hopefully it clears up the mystery a little.

Anyway you guys can update Inventor to make periodical saves so we retain something from the recent files? (using Inventor 2022.4.1 until I get clearance to upgrade) I use Vault as well. But with my R&D work, I find myself having a lot of files open that I created and making a lot of parts with the same purpose as options and when it crashes, it's a total lose of my own mental memory for what I had open at the time. My assemblies become large and complain a lot (or long loading) when I close them and reopen them. i.e. idw wants to update ifamily models in views for things that haven't changed if I close both the master and the idw. So I just keep them open throughout the day to keep it happy until I can release. I don't check in to Vault until near the end too due to not wanting to upload too many prototype or trash test files.

Model States is not a replacement for iParts / iAssemblies. It does not have all the same features yet and does not communicate well with our large currently in use libraries. 😞 https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/model-state-support-tabulated-parts-list/idc-p/11360616

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report