Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd Right Click Behavior

55 REPLIES 55
SOLVED
Message 1 of 56
rttechno
4981 Views, 55 Replies

Odd Right Click Behavior

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody else is experiencing an issue with right click context menus?  Sometimes, not all the time, when I right click on a part in the browser the menu comes up and the item the cursor is on gets a left click as the right mouse button lifts...  I'm not sure if I have a mouse issue or an Inventor issue.  I can't make the mouse do that in any other program but it's possible that's because other software pops the menu to the side of the cursor instead of under it.  I have undocked the browser and I use it in a second screen normally.  To record the screencast I dragged it back over the main Inventor window.  I got the right then left click action a couple times and then it acted like it was clicking in the graphics window instead of the browser.  Is undocking the browser a bit buggy?  I'll attach a screencast showing the issue and I'll quickly duck into Call of Duty to see if my gun fires when I raise the scope....

Thanks,

Randy Martens

RT Technologies

Inventor 2018.1.1

55 REPLIES 55
Message 2 of 56
rttechno
in reply to: rttechno

I tried some Call of Duty and got no unintended shots so it's an Inventor only issue.

Thanks,

Randy Martens

RT Technologies

Message 3 of 56
jtylerbc

I realize you've already tested it in another program, but try a different mouse (or if this is a laptop, try the buttons for the touchpad). 

I had a very similar experience a couple of weeks ago.  Was teaching a training course on a borrowed laptop (normally I work on a desktop).  I had to scavenge a mouse from an unoccupied desk, and the one I found started doing something very much like what you are describing.  Every time I right-clicked, it was as though I were immediately left clicking.  Swapping out the mouse fixed it.

Using COD to test this was a good thought, but there may be an issue that prevents it from quite being a valid test.  Never played COD in particular, but the games I've played in the past had an animated transition between normal and scope view, and I assume this is similar.  That may be long enough to have the game already busy while the misfiring mouse button goes off.  Probably more reliable to test it by just swapping out the hardware.

Message 4 of 56
rttechno
in reply to: jtylerbc

Hi John,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll try a different mouse but I think I know what's going on....  When you use the marking menu you right click, drag and lift right to select an item.  I think Inventor is using that behavior when you are not using the marking menu right mouse down loads menu, right mouse up selects.  I loaded a mouse macro recorder and I get no left click events when clicking around the Inventor window even though it behaves as though I clicked left.  

Long story short I think if I don't move my mouse at all between mouse down and mouse up I don't get a select but if it moves at all it goes to marking menu behaviour.  I saw another post about drawing lines around the screen on right clicks.  I think this is all the same issue just manifesting itself a bit differently.

Thanks,

Randy Martens

RT Technologies

Inventor 2018.1.1 

Message 5 of 56
jtylerbc

So are you saying that you have the Marking Menu turned off, and it is still using Marking Menu behavior with the "Classic" menu?  If so, that definitely sounds bug-ish.  I don't think I ever managed to duplicate that right-click scribbling issue, but I'm still spending most of my time in Inventor 2016, so it may not have that problem to begin with.

If you do have the Marking Menu turned on, then what you are describing is the way I would expect it to work (right click and drag activates an item in the menu).  If that is the case, maybe the mouse sensitivity is so high that the slightest nudge activates something.

Message 6 of 56
johnsonshiue

Hi! We did have some issues with right-click in 2018 RTM due to an updated common component used in UI. 2018.1 is supposed to address the issue. If there is still something flaky, we need to take a closer look. Would you be able to record a video or something to show the behavior?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 56
rttechno
in reply to: jtylerbc

Hi Tyler,

I have the marking menu on.  The issue is it's applying marking menu right click behaviour when I'm in the browser, not the graphics window.  This wasn't an issue in 16 or 17, it's new for me in 18.  I wonder if it's related to the fact that I have the browser undocked and on a second screen....

Undocked Menu.jpgThanks,

Randy Martens

Message 8 of 56
rttechno
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi Johnson,

Sorry I meant to post the video in my first post and forgot to hit insert.  Hard to see but I'm not left clicking here.

Message 9 of 56
The_Angry_Elf

It's the ghost of CAD releases past...

I gotta say, that is really a strange one there. I'm on 2018 w/latest update (one was released this week) and can't duplicate the issue.

Is this happening on any other machine? Is your machine up to date w/patches, etc?

What about Windows updates? I've seen my share of those causing all kinds of weird issues on CAD programs.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 10 of 56
rttechno
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

Hi Jim,

Windows and Inventor say they are up to date.  I haven't tried it on my laptop yet but I don't have multi monitor set up there.  I think this issue may have started after I installed the Nastran In CAD demo a couple days back.  Wonder if that is related somehow?  I'm headed to a site right away with the laptop so I'll try it there.  Laptop doesn't have Nastran yet so I'll try without and then install it and see if it does it.

Hardware wise the only non-standard bit is that I have dual GTX980ti's installed.

Thanks,

Randy Martens

Message 11 of 56
SBix26

I've only recently started using 2018 for production work, and I have seen some right click flakiness, specifically in the browser.  About half the time when I right click on an assembly component, or on a constraint, or a feature in a part file, the menu flicks on and back off; I just have to repeat until I get it to stick.  The same is true of right click in the graphics area, though not nearly as frequently, maybe 10% of the time.  I haven't changed any hardware, and I'm not seeing this in any other applications.

One other possibly related behavior: in the Appearance dialog, if I right click on an appearance and select Edit, the Edit Appearance dialog box pops up and immediately drops behind the main Appearance dialog.  All I have to do is click on the Edit dialog title bar (which I can still see), and all is well, but this happens absolutely every single time I use this.  2017 did not act this way.

I don't have any control of Windows updates, so I don't know how close I am to latest and greatest.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2018.1.1
Vault Workgroup 2018.0
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 12 of 56
johnsonshiue
in reply to: SBix26

Hi! The right-click flaky behaviors seem to be related to timing. These behaviors started in 2018 RTM when we upgraded a common UI component controlling Mini Toolbar and Context Menu. The right-click trailing issue has been fixed in 2018.1. But, it seems that there are still unsolved issues. I will work with the project team to understand the behaviors better. Something is not working right. As Inventor modernizes its UI, we need to make sure all these workflows behave rock solid.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 56

Hi,

I think I'm having the same issues as others on this thread; When I right click I get a right click with a left click following immediately. I can overcome the problem by holding the right click down for a second or so every time I need to use it, but it's cumbersome, so a fix is very much welcome!

Message 14 of 56
alexmende

Just want to echo @rttechno and say that me and my users are experiencing these phantom left clicks on release of the right-click in 2018.1.

@johnsonshiue

Thanks for posting!

Message 15 of 56
alexmende
in reply to: alexmende

Here's a screencast of what we are experiencing. @johnsonshiue

This first time I right-click, it functions correctly. The second time it makes the hardware adaptive when I did not physically click it.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/90c50692-dfee-4b54-abe2-0f922cc0ac6f

And actually in viewing the screencast, it looks like it recorded a double right-click but I promise that I only clicked once.

Thanks!

Message 16 of 56
The_Angry_Elf

Well I stand corrected.

Now that I've been working in 2018 more, I'm seeing this issue happening now.

I RMB on a part in an assembly tree and it fires up the last dialogue box I had open. It opened the "Open file dialogue" and then while typing this I opened the "About Inventor" dialogue box to get the build specs and now if I do a RMB on a part in the assembly tree, it opens that "about Inventor" box.

2018.1.1 Build 171 last updated 8-1-17

***UPDATE*** - I'm now seeing all kinds of odd items come up, one time it'll be making the parts adaptive, next it'll create a folder. It seems to be boiled down as far as I can tell to the speed at which you click. Click faster = Odd stuff, click slower = seems to work fine.

Must be that darn solar eclipse coming.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 17 of 56
johnsonshiue

Hi Guys,

It looks like the issue is not completely solved on 2018.1.1. I will work with project team to understand the behavior better and see what we can do.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 18 of 56
spencer

Hope this is resolved soon, this issue is driving me crazy and is affecting both machines in our office (Both similar Dell Precision workstations with Win10).

Sometimes it won't do it at all for a few minutes, and sometimes it does it dozens of times in a row with every right click. Holding the right mouse button down only works sometimes too, and how long it needs to be held varies wildly to the point of being useless.

Message 19 of 56
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: spencer

What I'm finding at least on my station is forcing myself to slow down on my RMB.

If I click like normal, I get the issues, if I click (with purpose) slowly and hold it down for a quick moment (think "bottom out" the button), it seems to work fine.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Message 20 of 56
spencer
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

I can sort of force it to work like that, most of the time it works if click down and just wait, but the time I have to wait seems to vary wildly, and on browser nodes it's always upwards of 10 seconds before I'm able to select any context menu options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report