Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note Leaders - Center text over a vertical extension line

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
2518 Views, 13 Replies

Note Leaders - Center text over a vertical extension line

I am wondering if there is a way to center leader text over a vertical extension line.

So the text will read horizontally and the leader and extension will extend out from the bottom of the center of the text.

I have attached an example of what I am looking for (this was done using a workaround of a multileader without text and a textbox superimposed above it.

Thanks in advance!

-Matt

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: Anonymous

If I'm not mistaken, what you are showing is not to any drafting standard such as ASME, etc. thus the reason it's not a default style in the software.

I'd say it would be best to create this type of a label as a custom Sketch Symbol and thus insert it as needed under that annotation command.

Capture.PNG

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Owner - Celtic Design Services, LLC - cdscad.com - An Autodesk Service Partner
We are available for hire. Please DM me or visit our website
Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 3 of 14
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi matthew.cassera,

What version of Inventor are you using? There have been some changes to this in Inventor 2017 I think.

In any case, try this:

Create the Leader and text.

Leader Centered 1.JPG

Then select the leader landing line and drag it vertically.

Leader Centered 2.JPG

Then add another leader.

Leader Centered 3.JPG

And make sure the style has the option to justify the text is off (unchecked).

Leader Centered 4.JPG

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

I am working with Inventor Professional 2016. As such, this method does not seem to work in this version.

As I drag the extension line to the vertical position the text rotates with it. Thanks, anyway. I will continue with a workaround.

-Matt

Message 5 of 14
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi matthew.cassera,

You're correct, this was modified in 2016 as discussed here:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/2017-leader-text-orientation/m-p/6590362#M615009

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 6 of 14

Is there an IdeaStation post for "Change it back!"?

[Is the "Jerks!" implied or do we need to type out "Change it back, jerks!"?]

Or at least to give us the option to do both?

If I have to start one, please help me out with suggestion on how to best word it: "Leader text vertical tail" "Leader text orientation options" "Leader text tail control" etc. ??

Message 7 of 14
dan_inv09
in reply to: dan_inv09

I found one

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/leader-text-automatically-aligns-with-leader-not-alway...

And this one looks like the cause of the problem

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/align-leaders/idi-p/3785385

It appears to have only taken 15 votes to get implemented, as of right now the one above is at 14 ... so if anybody still watching this thread hasn't voted for "Leader text automatically aligns with leader - Not always useful" please do so now. Thank you.

Message 8 of 14

Hi dan_inv09,

Here's a link to the Idea forum. Please add to the comments if I did not capture it completely.

Add option for centered leader text (restore behavior from Inv 2015 & previous)

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/add-option-for-centered-leader-text-restore-behavior-f...

Edit:

Oooops! I was creating a new one as you posted. Smiley Embarassed

I'll request that mine be marked as a duplicate.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 9 of 14

I'm thinking they decided to finally follow ANSI/ASME standards on this one?

"... They should be brief and should be carefully worded so as to be capable of only one interpretation. Notes should always be lettered horizontally on the sheet...  The leader should be attached at the front of the first word of a note, or just after the last word, and not at any intermediate place."

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional * Autodesk Certified Instructor * Autodesk Expert Elite * AU Speaker 2015 through 2022 * AU Speaker Mentor
"Mr. O'Flaherty, never go into small computers. There's no future in them" - Dr. C.S. Choi circa 1984
Message 10 of 14
dan_inv09
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

But what about, "should always be lettered horizontally on the sheet"?

Message 11 of 14
The_Angry_Elf
in reply to: dan_inv09

Seems pretty clear to me....;)

If I recall (and don't really quote me on this) ANSI/ASME states text to be such. I know other industry standards like ISO allow text and dims to be vertical or at an angle but I'm pretty sure ANSI/ASME does not.

Give me a few and I'll look into it and touch base with someone I know is a ANSI wonk.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Message 12 of 14

OK, based on everything I'm finding (other than the specific verse ***UPDATE*** ASME section 1.7.5.2), all examples I'm seeing in my ANSI Y14.5 publishings and my ANSI wonk, all dimensional and notational text on an engineering drawing are to be horizontal only. Must be readable looking at the drawing straight on.

The only possible exception could be for ISO views, but that's one I'm not sure of.

Same deal goes for all text must be capitalized, text in lower case are explanatory only and should not appear of official drawings.

Cheers,

Jim O'Flaherty

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
NigelHay
in reply to: The_Angry_Elf

My drawing standard is set to ISO but the leader text still rotates with the leader line even though, as you say, the ISO standard allows horizontal text with a vertical leader. This worked really well in 2016 until AutoDesk 'fixed' it.

Message 14 of 14
dan_inv09
in reply to: NigelHay

They have a history of of taking two or three people saying, "Could we have the option of doing it another way." and believing, "Everybody absolutely hates the way it was working, let's make it so they can't do it that way ever again!!!!"

[It's got to be like just a bunch of Pointy Haired Bosses with a couple of Wallys at meetings there.]

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report