Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model State

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
corym
609 Views, 10 Replies

Model State

Hello,

We are using 2022.2.2.

We are evaluating ways that we can incorporate Model States into our current workflows.

Is the Model State title exposed as a property (I can't seem to find it anywhere). We have different model states for an assembly represented by a single part number (they are just assembled in a different order). I was hoping to just use a leader linked to a model state property to differentiate on our drawing. I suspect it was not made available.

Cory McConnell
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: corym

Hi Cory,

Active Model State for a given instance is available as a BOM property, not as an iProperty. It is accessible in BOM, PartsList, and Balloon.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 11
corym
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks Johnson. That is what I was afraid of. I will create an idea.

Cory
Cory McConnell
Message 4 of 11
corym

I would not call that a solution. LOL

Cory McConnell
Message 5 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi Cory,

I agree with you. I don't think this is a solution. I did not mark it as such. I just explained how it worked at the moment. To get the Model State name on iProperties, there are actually a few ways to do that implicitly in the meantime. For example, you may add a custom iProperty named MS in your template or any file with pre-existing Model States. Then create an iLogic rule to populate the name to iProperty on a per member basis. Or, edit the Model States table in Excel and link the Model State name to the custom iProperty column.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 11
corym
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Yes - I assumed it was not you that marked it as a solution. 😊
I have a custom property setup – unfortunately, text and leaders do not allow you to choose properties from a subassembly in a drawing. ☹ I found the related idea and voted on it as well.
It looks like a special balloon style is the only way (without a bunch of custom code etc) to get it done today.
Cory
Cory McConnell
Message 7 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi Cory,

Regarding the ability to select component (sub or individual part) in a leader text, it is on our radar. You may want to sign in to Inventor Feedback Community to try it on the latest internal build.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 11
sundars

Hi @corym 

Long time no see. How are you doing? I didnt recognize you from your profile picture :).

Its interesting and quite a pity that we dont expose any model representation name in a drawing. In fact we never did this for view-reps or lods either. With model states, the need has become a lot more visible. We discussed adding model state name to atleast the view label in a drawing so that one could see on the sheet what the view represented. I think we just couldn't get to it given the other priorities and there always seems to be some workaround (see the browser or edit the view). 

I think you can achieve the same thing with custom iproperties but its painful like you said and probably not scalable and besides leader text doesnt allow custom iprops (i am still scratching my head over this one).

I am sure you may have tried it already, but if you have not, I created a vba program to collect model states information and add them to custom iprops. If you already have, others can still take a look at it.

The program traverses an assembly and sub-assembly and parts and gets the model state names and adds them to the custom properties for that document. Trust me, it was not as simple as I thought (maybe because vba is not my native language 😞 )

In this example, I have

Top.iam

+ Sub.iam

+ Part.iam

Each file contains 3 model states each.

I then created a drawing with 3 views - each view of a different model state. Then, I ran my vba program which traverses the assembly, collects all model state names and automatically creates custom iproperties for each document. Then, I modifed the view label to include the model state name.

To run this program:

1. Open Top.iam

2. VBA Macros/Editor

3. Run CustomIProps

4. Open Top.idw

See the view label showing the model state name.

If you edit the view label, you will see that I have inserted the model state name using custom iprops. Still, i could not expose sub-assy/part custom props in the view label.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 9 of 11
corym
in reply to: sundars

Thanks Shiva – I am getting too old to be bugging you guys all the time. 😊
I will take a look at your VBA and see if it gets me any closer.
Cory McConnell
Message 10 of 11
sundars

@corym I do miss that actually!! Your large assy model is still king!

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 11 of 11
corym
in reply to: sundars

Excellent! I am glad I do not have to work on that one anymore. 😊
Cory McConnell

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report