Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local files with unsaved edits problem with check in to Vault.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1510 Views, 8 Replies

Local files with unsaved edits problem with check in to Vault.

Hi,

We are using Vault Profesional Build 21.1.4.0 Update 1

With Inventor 2016 SP2 Update 1

The problem comes in many forms but the easiest whay it emerges is in Tube and Pipe.

We use a lot of content center parts. These parts are released.

When i create an assembly somehow inventor edits parts that are in some assemblies.

local modified.JPG

You can tell by the * that inventor finds that this file is locally modified. I did no such thing. I dit not update, rebuild or anything. When i try to check in this assembly Inventor wants to save the locked file wich it can't. So i have to save it as best as i can. close the file and than open the model

When i try to check in the assembly i get this window.

Must be saved.JPG

I click Yes and i get this window.

can not save.JPG

It tells me it can not save but it needs to but it can't so i'm in a loop.

Only option now is to close the asembly and re-open before i can check in.

In this example it's simple but the same goes for released (decent) sub assemblies. Somtimes inventor modifies these files for not reasen that i can see.

Please can someone figure out what couses this so whe can uncheck some button??

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have made a screencast as well that demonstrates the problem occuring.

Message 3 of 9
-niels-

Welcome to Vault... Smiley Sad

I run across similar unwanted updates, probably most Inventor/Vault users do.
What often works for me is to let inventor save the assembly and offending part.
("yes" to the part during save dialog even if it's "not checked out from vault")
Then when it's saved (with the (+) sign) i do a "get revision" and let it overwrite it with the latest Vault version.

I still close the assembly and reopen before checking it in to make sure the update doesn't repeat itself, but that might be just me.
In most cases this helps though.

(i think Vault has given me a form of OCD Smiley LOL)

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: -niels-

Yes, this is what i do as well in case of sub-asseblies that have rebuild.

In this case it's a released content center part that is locked. I can not save it and get it.

There must be a setting or it is a bug.

Message 5 of 9
-niels-

Hmmm... yeah those can be difficult.
As i also have administrator rights for our Vault i'm usually able to circumvent those restrictions.
For protected folders it does require me to move the offending part to an editable location in order to save/check out.

If you're curious about why the file is dirty; if you go the the "about" screen (dropdown next to the ? in the top right corner) and hit CTRL-D with the offending part open, you'll get some diagnostics.
They aren't overly helpful, but sometimes give a little more insight in why you're getting dirty files.

Inventor does things to flag files as dirty that don't make sense from a user perspective, which is pretty frustrating at times.

Another possible workaround, though not a great one, is to delete or replace the part with something else and then add it again or change it back to the correct version.
This has helped me on some occasions as well...

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: -niels-

Hallo Niels,

Ik krijg deze diagnose. Zegt jou dit zo wat?

Diagnostics.jpg

Message 7 of 9
-niels-

Hey Bram,

Probeer het Engels te houden zodat anderen het ook kunnen volgen. Smiley Wink

I can't say that i've seen that particular one...

It does indicate that there is some edit done to the file, not sure if the "attribute" part is for parameters or properties or something else entirely.

Have you tried deleting the local copy and placing the content center part again, so it gets "rebuilt" as a new file?

Maybe there were edits to the CC table that haven't been updated?

@johnsonshiue, i know this is not a tool many know about and that it's mainly for internal troubleshooting but maybe you can shed some light on possible reasons for this particular "dirty" flag?

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Hi

We also still need to use the "workaround" to close the assembly, re-open it and the be able to check in to Vault. Specially if you have opened a part in the assembly in a separate window without do any changes. Just closed the window again. Not possible to check in even without any changes...

Br

steinar

Message 9 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! The behavior does not make sense to me. Could you take a snapshot of Tools -> Application Options -> Save?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report