Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IV2017 Issue - Derived Sketch geometry not "remembering" normal / construction

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
RobSinglehurst
488 Views, 7 Replies

IV2017 Issue - Derived Sketch geometry not "remembering" normal / construction

Just trying a test install of IV2017 Hotfix 1 on my home pc and used the Task Scheduler to migrate all of my files. I am having a major issue with derived sketches that had construction geometry. In the child I have changed the linetype of some of the geometry in the derived sketch to normal to select a particular profile in the derived part. This is now not happening and IV2017 has "forgotten" which geometry was normal / construction and it is being derived in as it would have originally before I changed the geometry over.

Some of these parts have been around for several versions (since IV2008) and have been migrated with no issue - this is new regressive behaviour.

Below are a couple of screenshots showing how one of these derived parts appear in IV2017, before updating and after updating. In the after updating the sketch geometry is showing exactly how it would have when I first derived the sketch into the part. At that point though I would have then edited the sketch and changed it all to construction geometry and then changed the profile shape into normal geometry.

When I open this same part into IV2016 it is not asking to be updated.

BeforeUpdate.jpg

AfterUpdate.jpg

Has anyone else had this happen when migrating parts to IV2017?

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

I know there are some issues with Deriving Sketches..

While it isn't what you are exactly doing ...it's related

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

I have a feeling these are in SP1 ..

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

Trying to find the Autodesk post /reply on here. I know one of the Links is for 15/16.

I'll be back after I look some more

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 4 of 8

Thank-you Michael,

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
Message 5 of 8
ian
Explorer
in reply to: RobSinglehurst

I am having the exact same issue and it is driving me absolutely f*&king insane. for YEARS I have been using skeletal modeling with derived sketches... no problems. Now with 2017 every time I update the sketch in the master, the slave loses its altered construction line settings and reverts to be the same as the master. EXTREMELY frustrating. not only with updating/migrating old models. but new stuff too... Autodesk need to 'turn the switch back on' to remember what the derived parts construction settings are.

Message 6 of 8
RobSinglehurst
in reply to: ian

Hi Ian,

Autodesk have fixed this issue in SP1 or R2 (if you are on subscription). With one of those installed it works exactly as it used to.

Cheers,
--Rob
Inventor 2024.2
Message 7 of 8

Hi,

This is still an issue in inventor 2018:

See this post:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/when-i-derive-a-sketch-some-constructed-lines-became-n...

Is this a bug?

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 8 of 8

Hi Arthur,

The issue has been resolved in our internal build. Please take a look at my reply to the other thread.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/when-i-derive-a-sketch-some-constructed-lines-became-n...

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report