Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I derive a Sketch, some constructed lines became normal

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
jasolluWPT6D
730 Views, 8 Replies

When I derive a Sketch, some constructed lines became normal

I have a part named Layout where I have some sketchs I want to use in other parts design. The problem is that, in some of those sketchs, some construction lines become normal. I can resolve it manually but I want to know if there is any problem that could be the reason for that behaviour or how to avoid it

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: jasolluWPT6D

Hi! The way I understood how it should work is like this. When you first derive the sketch, the line types are carried over from the source sketch to the derived sketch. However, if you edit the derived sketch and change the line type, the change will not be overridden on update.

I assume the derived sketch you have was created as such. If you notice a behavior not following what I mentioned here, there could be a bug. Please share an example so forum experts can take a look and comment further.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 9

Hi @johnsonshiue ,

This is the behavior I see, with a construction lines and a spline.

Cons.png

The Master Part is made by:

• Rectangle with Construction Lines
  • A spline with Construction Lines

The Derived Part is created with:

• Rectangle with Construction Lines
  • A spline with Normal Lines

Why is this the case, is this a bug?

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 4 of 9

Hi Arthur,

This has been discussed before. Indeed, the behavior is a limitation for now. We are unblocking it. The latest Alpha build actually allows you to drive the linetype from the source sketch to the derive sketch. If you are interested, please sign up Inventor Feedback Community (https://autode.sk/InventorBeta) to try it on an install-free, browser-based environment.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 9

Hi @johnsonshiue 

This means that it has been solved within the new Release of Inventor 2022?

Regards,

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 6 of 9

Hi Arthur,

I cannot comment on exact release. All I can say is that it has been fixed in our latest internal build targeting the future release.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 9

Unfortunately it has still not been implemented even in Inventor 2023. 😞 

Message 8 of 9

Hi Peter,

It is available on 2023. Please go to Tools -> App Options -> Part -> Make/Derive/Shrinkwrap default -> check or uncheck "Link sketch formatting from source component."

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9

That works, thanks!

Good to see at least one of these quality-of-life improvements actually making it in to an update. 🙂

My feeling is that it should be the default behaviour, as I can't really think of a situation where you'd put construction lines in a skeleton sketch and want them to show up in a derived part as normal lines, since they break up profiles and make extrusion selection take longer. But... at least it's here now.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report