Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Property Update without checking out file

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
f_calebh
671 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor Property Update without checking out file

I wasn't sure if this was an Inventor or a Vault question, but is there a way to update Vault properties in an Inventor file without checking out the file?

Here's my situation:

We record the states on our Drawings per https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/vault-products/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/A...

While I have the file open (not checked out) in Inventor, I can change the state. If I change to a new state I can refresh the file, but the state doesn't update on the drawing unless I update properties.  I can close out of Inventor and re-open the file and it's updated, but I can't do it and keep the file open.

Update Properties will update it with the file open, but that forces a checkout and if the state I transition to is locked, I can't use that method.

If I open iproperties after refresh, I get this: 

f_calebh_0-1624898636566.png

Though, this doesn't update the text on the drawing that references the property so it's absolutely pointless.  I would actually need to edit a property for the print to update which is pretty odd.  Of course I can't do that if the state is locked.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
sgwilliams
in reply to: f_calebh

When a file is checked-out it changes the file properties to read-only and only the person who has it open can make changes. The only way to change any attribute of a file with the vault is to check-out the file 1st. The whole point behind the check-out and check-in is so that nobody can modify the file while it is checked-out and being modified. This stops the scenario of two people working on the same file at the same time . Say Sam and Bob have the same file open at he same time and Bob finishes 1st and hits save his changes will be lost once Sam saves his file because he overwrote the changes that Bob had just made. With a Check-In and Check-Out system this never happens. As Sam could open the file but only in read-only mode. Once Bob checks in his file, his changes are saved. The next person who opens the file will have to get the latest version of the file before its opened and is modifiable.

So in short no there is no way to modify any iProperty or attribute of a file unless it is checked-out. The way we get around this is to write custom code in the VBA interface to check if the file is checked-out if so it will check out the file for you and then check it back in when your done. This takes some coding skill and some finesse to make it work properly.

Work Station : Custom built, Liquid Cooled, Asus Pro WS X570-ACE Motherboard; AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor; ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 V2 OC Edition Video Card; 32 GB CORSAIR Dominator Platinum DDR4-2132 Memory ; Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Drive.
Message 3 of 8
f_calebh
in reply to: sgwilliams

Thank you for your response. I understand the check-in, check-out situation with locking the files down and why it's important. This isn't really my problem. I think I could have titled this better. I'm not actually updating the vault properties, I want to refresh the drawing to show the updates that took place with the job processor. The properties were updated by changing the state in the inventor Vault browser. The system property that I'm referencing in the file has changed in Vault with the state change (along with sync properties). I'd like to "refresh file" (this doesn't even work if the file is locked) or "update properties"... or "update sheets", and have my file that's already open; update with the changes from the JP.
I literally need to close out of the file from Inventor and re-open it for the properties to update and have them reflected appropriately on the drawing. That's the runaround I'm trying to avoid by using the Inventor Vault browser in the first place.
Ultimately, I'd like to be able to change the state in the Inventor vault browser and then refresh that file after the sync and export the file
Does that help explain things a little better?
Message 4 of 8
SharkDesign

Refresh is the way to do this. You say it won't work so other options to try are: 

You can also try 'get revision' or 'revert to latest'

Using Get from Vault, even with the overwrite option on won't replace the file as you have them open in Inventor. 

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 5 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi Folks,

I think this is about a workflow that could be confusing to Vault (PDM system). Normally, an Inventor file has to be checked out to be edited in Inventor. However, Inventor does support a workflow allowing a file to be edited outside of Inventor (or Vault). It is called Property Edit.

Any iProperty (except physical) can be edited outside of Inventor by right-clicking on the file in File Explorer -> iProperties. The trouble with this workflow is that such edit may propagate to assembly BOM -> Drawing. However, the propagation has to happen within Inventor. The related files need to be opened and updated (manually or automatically). Without doing that, the files will be out-of-date.

I personally think you may enforce some data processing policy. 1) Avoid this type of out-of-context edit. 2) Set up a system task to update the related files on a regular basis.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 8

You will need to use synch properties from the menu from Vault.

This will synch the workspace with the Vault!

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 7 of 8
f_calebh
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I'm not using anything other than Vault to update that property. It's not being updated outside of the standard workflow.  The property is the Lifecycle state system property that I'm linking to Inventor files. We have our state changes set up to sync properties after the state change so that the drawing file reference to the property updates. It does that just fine.  I can open the file from vault after the sync and my property shows up fine in the text field.  My problem is that I would like to change the state through Inventor and be able to update the file without having to close out of the file. It appears that can't be done. I need to switch back and forth between the Inventor and Vault Apps. 😞   

Maybe this is something for the idea board.  Thanks everyone.

Message 8 of 8

@f_calebh wrote:

I'm not using anything other than Vault to update that property. It's not being updated outside of the standard workflow.  The property is the Lifecycle state system property that I'm linking to Inventor files. We have our state changes set up to sync properties after the state change so that the drawing file reference to the property updates. It does that just fine.  I can open the file from vault after the sync and my property shows up fine in the text field.  My problem is that I would like to change the state through Inventor and be able to update the file without having to close out of the file. It appears that can't be done. I need to switch back and forth between the Inventor and Vault Apps. 😞   

Maybe this is something for the idea board.  Thanks everyone.

Have you taken a look at the datacard in Vault Add-in in Inventor.

There are a lot of possibilities too!

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report