Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to access print settings?

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
1171 Views, 14 Replies

How to access print settings?

I can't find settings for printing such as scale anywhere, even though I have seen it referenced online. I just get a generic and minimal print dialogue when I click print.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
-niels-
in reply to: Anonymous

That looks like the print dialog you get when you print from within an .ipt, .iam or .ipn.
The dialog with the scale options is when you print an .idw or .dwg.
Can you verify which one you are trying to print?

If you are trying to print an .idw or .dwg and you get that dialog then there is something weird going on which i'm not sure what could cause that.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: -niels-

Thanks, I didn't know that. Can you also tell me how to select which side to print? It always prints the front even if I rotate it.

Message 4 of 15
-niels-

Can you give a bit more detail?
I'm a bit unsure what you mean by "front" and how you're rotating it?
Are you printing an .idw or a part?

In an .idw you have "sides" if you have more then 1 sheet, the print dialog should give you an option of which sheet to print.
Orientation should be handled by a combination of the scale options and/or the printer's Landscape/Portrait setting.
In a part (.ipt, .iam) the orientation is handled by the printer setting for Landscape/Portrait.
(hit the "properties" button next to the printer name to get to those settings)

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

I'm trying to print a .dwg

In the inventor program obviously the model can be rotated to show different sides: top, right, bottom etc. It always prints the one labeled front. I changed which side is the front on my .ipt file and then re-expoted to .dwg format, but it didn't update it for the .dwg file. In the print dialogue there's no option to choose a different face, and I can't change which face is "front" while viewing the .dwg in inventor. 

Message 6 of 15
-niels-

Ok, that sounds like a completely different issue...
If you're trying to change the orientation of the views on your drawing then that should be possible by right-clicking on the view you want to change, selecting "edit view" and then using the view cube in the corner of the view to change which side is displayed.
Is that what you are looking for?

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous

I'm trying to choose which side to print. It always prints the front and there's no option to change which view is labeled front with a .dwg file.

Message 8 of 15
A.Acheson

@Anonymous 

Can you please provide a screenshot of what your looking to achieve?

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 9 of 15
-niels-

@Anonymous Indeed, can you clarify with a screenshot?

What i meant in my previous post was that you can choose the orientation of your model when editing a view by using the viewcube. The label on the viewcube stating "front", "top", etc. it nice, but isn't important for actually showing the view you need.

afbeelding.png

On the print dialog you can only choose how your drawing gets printed on paper, you can change the scale, orientation and which sheets get printed from the main dialog and you can go to your printer's options (properties) to change the printer settings like paper-size, color, double-sided, etc.

afbeelding.png

As a extra note: you can even define a custom view by selecting that option from the viewcube:

afbeelding.png

If you choose that option you'll open a new screen where you can orient your model however you like and that is how it will be displayed on your drawing.

This is about as detailed an answer i can give without knowing what you're trying to do, hope it helps.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 10 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks for the replies. Screenshots are attached. I just can't find an option to print (on paper) my design from a different side besides "front". I don't have the same options in the printing dialogue as you nor on the view cube.

Message 11 of 15
-niels-

@Anonymous Your first image seems fine to me, it's a different printer so the options you get are different. this is normal and doesn't have anything to do with your actual issue.

The 2nd image though, is this in a part/assembly?

The black background is confusing me a bit as well, could be the dark theme or maybe, just maybe, you have opened an AutoCAD dwg directly?

The radial menu i see seems to suggest that you've right-clicked on the viewcube and the menu shown is what you get when in a part/assembly.

If it is a part/assembly, then try starting a new .idw (or .dwg if that's what you use) and create a base view and some projected views of this part file.

If it's a .dwg you are opening, then i'm not sure how to achieve what you want.

If it's 2D data then you'll have to redraw it in Inventor, if it's 3D then there might be other options but i don't usually deal with AutoCAD files so i'm unsure.

If you can share the file here, that might help to understand the issue better as well.

Niels van der Veer
The Netherlands

Message 12 of 15
SBix26

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying to print a .dwg

In the inventor program obviously the model can be rotated to show different sides: top, right, bottom etc. It always prints the one labeled front. I changed which side is the front on my .ipt file and then re-exported to .dwg format, but it didn't update it for the .dwg file. In the print dialogue there's no option to choose a different face, and I can't change which face is "front" while viewing the .dwg in inventor. 

Does this mean that you are trying to print a view of your model in AutoCAD?  If I am reading correctly, you are exporting your model to .dwg format (via Save As...), and then trying to print a particular orientation from AutoCAD, but only getting a Front view every time.

Am I reading this right?

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

YES. I exported to dwg because I thought that's what one of the earlier answers suggested. I have an .ipt file. I want to print it on paper (1:1 scale) and choose which face I want to print.

Message 14 of 15
SBix26

OK, I don't know which version of Inventor you're using, but try this:

• Orient the model the way you want it to be printed
  • Right click on its name at the top of the model browser and select Create Drawing View
  • In the dialog box select the drawing template you wish to use (.idw or .dwg)
  • The new drawing opens with your view placed but in the view editing dialog
  • Choose options (including scale) as you desire
  • Print the drawing 1:1 

Depending on your printer, you may need to change Inventor sheet size, remove border and title block, move the view to the center of the sheet, etc.  But the drawing environment is the only one in which you can control the scale.  Unfortunately, you cannot control rendering in a shaded drawing view, so it is still the case that Inventor (at least through version 2021) cannot print a scale rendered view.  But if I understand correctly, that's not what you need... ?

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: SBix26

Thank you. This is what I wanted. Sorry if I wasn't as clear as I could have been in my earlier posts.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report