Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feature folders in Part model tree

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
Anonymous
8116 Views, 22 Replies

Feature folders in Part model tree

Hi

I've seen a lot of old posts but no new ones addressing this problem, how am I supposed to create folders to place features in.

I would like to place support features (planes etc in one folder), location features (UCS with matching planes, material directions etc) in one folder so that the receiver of the model wont have to scroll through the tree to find the features for locating the part in an assembly.

Even though the current work task is rather quick and dirty it is important for the receiver to be able to locate important information easily.

How do I do, or is it still not possible to do this in the model tree of a part?

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
mdavis22569
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous   

What version of Inventor

Is this what you're looking for ...or are you looking for it in the part level? 

like this.PNG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

No unfortunately not, as mentioned in the subject I'm looking for folders within the PART model tree, not the assembly 😕

Message 4 of 23
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Browser folders only existing in assembly mode.

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 5 of 23
mdavis22569

Unfortunately that's not possible at this time ...

What about putting it on the idea's station? 

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/idb-p/v1232/tab/most-recent

Here is a post about getting more votes:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/autodesk-inventor-idea-s-needing-support-thread/td-p/7...

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 23
jtylerbc
in reply to: mdavis22569

The idea already exists on the Idea Station.  Some of the comments are a little confusing (contain links to "Duplicate Ideas" that are actually the same idea, probably a result of merging).  It's listed with a "Future Consideration" status.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/browser-folders-in-part-environment/idi-p/3780620

Message 7 of 23
SBix26

The quick and easy answer is that this would be totally illogical in a parametric history-based modeler.  Features are built on each other in the exact order shown in the browser, so how would rearranging them into folders work without messing up your model?

But I could imagine a different browser view that showed features grouped in some way meaningful to the user.  But making changes in such a view would be dangerous because you couldn't see where the feature is in the history of the part, so you won't know what kinds of collateral damage you would be inflicting.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2018.1
Vault Workgroup 2018.0
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
Inventor Certified Professional

Message 8 of 23
johnsonshiue

Hi! It is true that folder is still not available in Part browser. There isn't an easy way to organize feature browser nodes besides reordering. Inventor is revamping its UI. This is an area the project team is actively investigating and tweaking. If you are interested, please sign up Inventor Beta (https://bit.ly/InventorBeta). You will be able to interact with the project team, try out the latest build, and give your feedback.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

That's something that I would also be interested.

Any news?

Message 10 of 23
johnsonshiue

Hi Tiago,

Yes, we are aware of this requirement. It is on our radar. We are revamping the user interface, as you can see in the Browser search in 2018,  Measure tool in 2018, and Hole properties panel in 2019. We are making the workflows more usable and powerful. But, it is not complete yet.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous

Are you targeting any specific release for this?
Message 12 of 23
0x3FA5

Just wandering are there folders already available in the part environment?

Message 13 of 23
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: 0x3FA5

@0x3FA5 

No this feature (sorry folders Smiley LOL) do not exist at the part level.

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 14 of 23
0x3FA5
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

How in general experienced Inventor users keep the feature tree under control? I mean even the Hole feature has only "Hole1.." in the description, having 5 types of holes under the very descriptive name "Hole", as opposed to SW:

Capture.PNG

Message 15 of 23
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: 0x3FA5

@0x3FA5 

You can do the same thing in Inventor..     Now this image is based on Inventor 2020 but same type of steps for other versions of Inventor

2019-06-11_15-29-38.jpg

Now my model had 3 holes the same so I changed one to show the browser difference

2019-06-11_15-32-12.jpg

Mark Lancaster

Message 16 of 23
0x3FA5

Awesome!

Thank you, had no idea.

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous

No this doesn't help one little bit. It is abundantly clear for many years now that numerous people have repeatably requested for FOLDERS to be created in PART model. That is PART model, NOT ASSEMBLY model, read the request before telling us how to do it in Assembly model !!!!! This is a simple function that is available in many professional CAD systems, why ever not is it available in Inventor, pretty poor.

Message 18 of 23
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

No this doesn't help one little bit. It is abundantly clear for many years now that numerous people have repeatably requested for FOLDERS to be created in PART model. That is PART model, NOT ASSEMBLY model, read the request before telling us how to do it in Assembly model !!!!! This is a simple function that is available in many professional CAD systems, why ever not is it available in Inventor, pretty poor.

@Anonymous  Your post indicates you were responding to @Mark.Lancaster 

The posts in this thread from him are statements that only assembly folders are supported as well as a detailed response showing another user how to turn on "extended names" next to features at the part level per 0x3FA5's questions above in message 14. I'm sure that was helpful to them.. 

While we all get frustrated at times you might want to leave out your comments like "read the request before... blah blah.. " in the future. It just wasn't necessary.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 19 of 23
torbjorn

Folders in the part browser are supported by the API, and a limited version of this functionality can be implemented by if programming. However, the order of features must remain, and EOP cannot be pulled inside a feature folder.

Haven't found any such apps or macros online, so unfortunately you will have to do the programming yourself if you want this  functionality. 

Torbjørn

Message 20 of 23
drew_bell

Hi @johnsonshiue , any update on folders in part feature trees? 

I agree with a few other posts that being able to group part features into folders is basic functionality that is missing, especially coming from SolidWorks. I have a model tree that I took over that's well over a hundred features and very unwieldy to work with. If I could group those features into folders, i.e. OldestFeatures, OldFeatures, NewFeatures, that would be a huge help. 

As far as moving folders as some discussed, that's not a critical first feature in my mind. The logical solution would be "if all features in folder can move above/below the folder or feature the user is dragging it past, then allow it", but I understand if that's more difficult under the hood than typing it out 🙂 

It seems like there have been plenty of feature requests on this idea for years, so hopefully it's in the feature roadmap. 

On a positive note, big props for getting geometry-based sketch selection in Inventor 2020, solving one of the biggest pains for me in Inventor 2019. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report