Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chamfers on Drawings

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
5091 Views, 23 Replies

Chamfers on Drawings

I am currently doing a drawing for a part where I have a 0.25mm chamfer on 2 edges. However, one of those edges is on a diagonal face, so the 0.25mm chamfer is being shown as 0.33 (see below). Is this the correct notation for the chamfer? I understand why Inventor is displaying 0.33, as the slanted face extends the chamfer slightly, but the chamfer used on the model was 0.25mm.

alextyler_0-1595943809559.png

Do I leave the notation as it is, or do I need to manually change it to C0.25?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
andrewiv
in reply to: Anonymous

Personally, I hate manually overriding dimensions on drawings, this is not AutoCAD.  But you cannot simply leave it with an incorrect value either.  I would create a view that shows the chamfer correctly.

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 24
Cadmanto

My suggestion (this is what I do when confronted with a similar instance) would be to delete the .33 chamfer and place a "2X" in front of the .25 chamfer callout.

EE LOGO.png
Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2021

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

Might look into this, quite like that idea. My only issue with that is it doesn't denote where the second chamfer is. Can I add multiple arrows to one measurement?

Message 5 of 24
CGBenner

Was the Chamfer created with the chamfer tool?  And, was the dimension placed using the Chamfer dimension tool?  Using the chamfer dimension tool, as long as you choose the right references, I believe, it should reflect the values you entered when creating the feature.

CGBenner_0-1595947133132.png

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: CGBenner

I did use the chamfer tool. Please see my chamfer settings below:

alextyler_0-1595947462117.png

Message 7 of 24
Cadmanto

2X is a commonly used practice as per ASME spec.

Yes, you can add a second leader to point to the second chamfer.  This would eliminate the confusion of where it is.

CHAMFER.jpg

EE LOGO.png
Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2021

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 8 of 24
andrewiv

Try selecting a different reference edge when creating your chamfer note on the drawing.

In the pic below I created a 0.25 chamfer in the model.  The bottom note is using a vertical line as the reference edge and the top note is using a horizontal line as the reference edge.

Chamfer.PNG

Andrew In’t Veld
Designer

Message 9 of 24
CGBenner

@Anonymous 

Playing with this a little bit, you can get different dimension results depending on the references you choose.  In my poorly drawn image below, the dimensions were placed using the same color references.  The red dimension is the correct value based on the feature settings.  You may have to simply change the dimension references using the Chamfer dimension.

CGBenner_0-1595948273400.png

Chris Benner

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Message 10 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadmanto

I can't get this feature to work. I click Add Vertex / Leader, and no matter what I click I can't get another Leader to appear. Any advice?

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: andrewiv

I just tried this. By selecting a horizontal reference, I can get C0.24. Seems like that should be right, I'm just not sure why it's not reading 0.25.

Message 12 of 24
CGBenner

@Anonymous wrote:

I just tried this. By selecting a horizontal reference, I can get C0.24. Seems like that should be right, I'm just not sure why it's not reading 0.25.

What is the actual dimension of your feature?  It may be just a precision issue with the dimension itself?  The decimal precision can be set globally in your Dimension styles, but can also be overridden by double clicking on the dimension and selecting Precision and Tolerance.

Chris Benner

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: CGBenner

The x is 0.238 and y is 0.325, so that's why they're displaying wrong. Not 100% sure why the x value is not 0.25, as I would've thought this would be the reference dimension for the chamfer?

Message 14 of 24
Cadmanto

I can get it to work.  When you select the note and select what I said in my previous posting, then select the second chamfer and run leader back to the original chamfer note to merge the two.

CHAMFER1.jpg

EE LOGO.png

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2021

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden

Message 15 of 24
CGBenner

@Anonymous 

That is interesting.  Can you share the part file here so I can have a look?

Chris Benner

Message 16 of 24
johnsonshiue

Hi! Please take a look at the following thread. It may apply to your case.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/chamfer-distance-x-angle-problem/m-p/9547292

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 17 of 24
IgorMir
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I knew I had replied to a similar post before! 🙂

@johnsonshiue wrote:

Hi! Please take a look at the following thread. It may apply to your case.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/chamfer-distance-x-angle-problem/m-p/9547292

Many thanks!

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous

Hi, following on from what this article said, I tried manually inputting distances and using a distance and an angle, but for some reason that didn't work either. It's a work project, not personal, so I can't share the files (IPR reasons), but I'll provide you some more screenshots (below):

alextyler_0-1596007928243.png

alextyler_1-1596008003393.png

The scenario has changed slightly. If I select an x or a y reference, the chamfer value given is 0.37, whereas it used to display different values. That's confusing me even more, as to me that means it is completely ignoring the 0.25 rule?

Message 19 of 24
johnsonshiue

Hi Alex,

If possible, please share the part here. There should be a logical reason to explain it. The images do not help me understand the issue better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 20 of 24
Anonymous

Please see the attached part file.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report