Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chamfers on Drawings

23 REPLIES 23
SOLVED
Message 1 of 24
Anonymous
5641 Views, 23 Replies

Chamfers on Drawings

I am currently doing a drawing for a part where I have a 0.25mm chamfer on 2 edges. However, one of those edges is on a diagonal face, so the 0.25mm chamfer is being shown as 0.33 (see below). Is this the correct notation for the chamfer? I understand why Inventor is displaying 0.33, as the slanted face extends the chamfer slightly, but the chamfer used on the model was 0.25mm.

alextyler_0-1595943809559.png

Do I leave the notation as it is, or do I need to manually change it to C0.25?

23 REPLIES 23
Message 21 of 24
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Alex,

Many thanks for sharing the files! Indeed, the chamfer is a bit tricky to dimension. For this case, you need to measure from the original chamfer edge (see green dimension in the attached drawing). I don't think the Chamfer Note accommdate such geometry easily. Basically, the chamfer is going 0.25mm from the selected edge on the planar face. Then, use a 45-degree cone face to cut.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi, I don't understand what you mean. I click the same reference face as I used on the chamfer feature editor and this does not work.

Message 23 of 24
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Alex,

Are you talking about the ability to select Intersection point (virtual sharp)? If yes, please make sure the following option is unchecked.

Tools -> App Options -> Drawing -> uncheck "Enable ordinate dimension geometry selection."

Then you will be able to select the virtual sharp.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 24 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

EDIT: I've worked it out and this was the dimension I've needed! Unfortunately the Intersection doesn't work with the Chamfer detection, so I've done as someone else suggested and written "2 X" in front of the other chamfer, then added the intersection measurement separately. Thank you!

Hi, thanks for teaching me something new, but I can't get this to work. I select the first edge, right click the second edge, select "Intersect", then select the second edge, but nothing happens. I can't seem to select the virtual point itself. However having done a quick sketch, that is the measurement I need!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report