Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open Inventor Windows error

21 REPLIES 21
SOLVED
Message 1 of 22
procenitelj
2620 Views, 21 Replies

Cannot open Inventor Windows error

Hello everyone,

I had no problems with Inventor until few days ago when all Inventor files stoped opening. Windows just pops up this messege:22.JPG

I have Win10.

I tried with uninstall and reinstall but there were no effects.

Any suggestions?

21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22
johnsonshiue
in reply to: procenitelj

Hi! The error means the Inventor has been uninstalled and the executable cannot be found. You will need to re-install Inventor.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 22
procenitelj
in reply to: johnsonshiue

As I said at my post, I've reinstalled Inventor again and the error remains.
Message 4 of 22
johnsonshiue

Could you go to the folder and see if Inventor.exe exists?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 22
procenitelj

It exists.

33.JPG

It doesn't either open documents, ipt, dwg, nothing. It always says that it cannot find the programe.

Message 6 of 22
asiteur

Have you tried launching Inventor from the executable in the Program Files folder?

It sounds somehow as if there is some sort of antivirus process that interferes and denies error to the path.

Alexander Siteur
Project Engineer at MARIN | NL
LinkedIn

Message 7 of 22
procenitelj
in reply to: asiteur

I have tried, the error remains.

Message 8 of 22

Use the following steps to re-register Autodesk Inventor with your operating system:

1.  Exit Inventor if still running

2a.  Win 8/8.1/10: Select the Windows start button and type CMD (but do not hit an enter)

2b.  Win 7:  Select the Windows start button and type CMD in the search field (but do not hit an enter)

3.  When CMD or command prompt appears in the list, right mouse click and select run as admin

2017-10-12_8-33-26.jpg

4.  When the command prompt appears, navigate using dos commands to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor <version>\Bin or where your Inventor.exe is located if you changed the default install location of Inventor.

In this example I'm navigated to my Inventor 2018 (exe) location.

2017-10-12_8-17-44.jpg

6.  Type Inventor.exe /install.  

2017-10-12_8-30-40.jpg

Wait a few mins and restart Inventor.   At this time you will not see anything occurring.  Don't panic.  Smiley Very Happy  However if you launch Windows task manager you can watch the Inventor.exe process (and see when it ends).

Does that resolve the issue?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 9 of 22

It still cannot find the path:

334.JPG

Message 10 of 22
johnsonshiue

Hi! Please open File Explorer and go to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2015\Bin\. Take a screenshot showing Inventor.exe does exist there.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 22
procenitelj

Here it is:

11.JPG

Message 12 of 22
johnsonshiue

Hi! What is the OS? Is it 32-bit or 64-bit? Inventor 2015 does have two different flavors (32-bit and 64-bit). You can only install 32-bit Inventor on 32-bit Windows and likewise 64-bit Inventor on 64-bit Windows.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 22
procenitelj

It is Win10 64 bit. I had no problems with Inventor 2 years and then suddenly it stoped working.

Message 14 of 22
johnsonshiue

Hi! It is still a mystery to me why Inventor.exe is present but it cannot be run. It points to environmental or install related issues. Could you take a look at the following thread and see if it applies to you? The thread is for 2018 but I think it should work similarly to 2015 also.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/discussion/t5/Installa...

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 22

In the screenshot of the application folder I can see inventor twice with no extension and one with extension. Please change your explorer options to hide known extensions to no. Than make a new screenshot. Maybe something wrong there....

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Message 16 of 22
procenitelj

I've just tried that solution and the error remains.

Message 17 of 22

Here it is:

12.PNG

Message 18 of 22
kelly.young

@procenitelj there have been some very good suggestions that aren't panning out.

Just a thought to investigate:

Random startup crash on systems with NVidia Quadro graphics cards

This seems to be an install launch file location issue, but wanted to check.

When you do a full uninstall do you go into the program files and delete any remnants before reinstalling?

Is there sufficient space on the hard drive available or is it maxed out?

Seems to be a difficult issue to pin down.

Message 19 of 22
procenitelj
in reply to: kelly.young

When I do a full uninstall I go into the program files and delete any remnants before reinstalling.

I've done a clean uninstal as said in: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/customer-service/download-install/remove-products/clean-uninstall

There is sufficient space on the hard drive available.

Message 20 of 22

Hi,

Try this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfJW_NYiilE

Regards,

Arthur Knoors

Autodesk Affiliations:

Autodesk Software:Inventor Professional 2024 | Vault Professional 2022 | Autocad Mechanical 2022
Programming Skills:Vba | Vb.net (Add ins Vault / Inventor, Applications) | I-logic
Programming Examples:Drawing List!|Toggle Drawing Sheet!|Workplane Resize!|Drawing View Locker!|Multi Sheet to Mono Sheet!|Drawing Weld Symbols!|Drawing View Label Align!|Open From Balloon!|Model State Lock!
Posts and Ideas:Dimension Component!|Partlist Export!|Derive I-properties!|Vault Prompts Via API!|Vault Handbook/Manual!|Drawing Toggle Sheets!|Vault Defer Update!

! For administrative reasons, please mark a "Solution as solved" when the issue is solved !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report