Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOMs, same part in different assemblies.

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
493 Views, 2 Replies

BOMs, same part in different assemblies.

My weak point (BOMs) strikes again!

I open 1 assembly that contains several parts, and set 1 part to reference.

Ceate drawing with parts list, all good.

Open another assembly that only contains 2 parts, both of which are also in the other assembly.

Create drawing, and discover that the one part is automatically set to reference on the BOM. It seems like the part cannot be reference in 1 assembly and standard in another? When I change the BOM structure in  one assembly it seems to automatically update in the other.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
-niels-
in reply to: Anonymous

Are you changing it to "reference" in the BOM itself?

There is a difference to setting it in the bom or using the "Bom structure > reference" from the right-click menu in an assembly.

Setting it in the bom is an overall change, like you noticed, but using the right click menu in an assembly should only change it for that assembly.

Niels van der Veer
Inventor professional user & 3DS Max enthusiast
Vault professional user/manager
The Netherlands

Message 3 of 3
SBix26
in reply to: Anonymous

Expanding a bit on Niels' reply: 

The BOM Structure of a component is set in the component (Document Settings > Bill of Materials tab), and that's what you are doing when accessing it through the BOM Manager.  Reference, though, can override that setting at the occurrence level in an assembly, so right clicking on a component gives you the choice of Default (whatever is specified by the Document Settings of that component) and Reference.  This can also be accessed through iProperties > Occurrence tab.

Sam B

Inventor Professional 2015 SP2
Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit, SP1
HP EliteBook 8770w; 8 GB RAM; Core™ i7-3720QM 2.60 GHz; Quadro K4000M

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report