Installation & Licensing
Welcome to Autodesk’s Installation and Licensing Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Download, Installation, and Licensing topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Genuine Service - How to uninstall it? (I moved to a different machine)

119 REPLIES 119
SOLVED
Message 1 of 120
EricsUsername
348679 Views, 119 Replies

Genuine Service - How to uninstall it? (I moved to a different machine)

HOW TO UNINSTALL The ADSK Genuine Service ?

• I moved 3dsMax to a new computer.
• 3dsMax is no longer installed on that previously used computer.

• I want to remove the Genuine Service from the previously used system.

To whoever or whomever saves the say here.. I PRE-THANK YOU
IMO:  The "ADSK Genuine Service" should be smart enough to allow uninstall of itself when there's no longer any ADSK programs on the system.

119 REPLIES 119
Message 41 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: walkermacy

You installed the program under automation 🙂 Why would you not chose automation to remove it does the job and does it great!

Message 42 of 120

because to automate the uninstall, we had to get the secret steps that allow us to uninstall the Genuine Service, which as we've seen is not simple or normally even possible. The MS tool doesn't handle every situation, including this specific one. In any event, this is Autodesk's problem they foisted on us for no reason that doesn't come across as bad. This doesn't improve anything for the customer. 

Message 43 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: natasha.l

Dear  @natasha.l and Support 

no autodesk products are installed on my laptop since half year

and i still can not remove your autodesk "genuine service" 

what now?

Thanks in advance

Lew

Message 44 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: engineeringapps

but it works for me and totally removed their software?

Message 45 of 120
a.pettis

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Guarantee I'm not the only one either.

@a.pettis - this post has been edited due to Community Rules & Etiquette violation.

Message 46 of 120
Anonymous

Up to to weeks, are you kidding? With no option to manualy remove it from a personal system?
That is compulsion imo. I´ll never use a product from you ever again.

Message 47 of 120
Anonymous

So I uninstalled Maya and all it's pieces a month ago and I still have 3 copied of the Genuine Service that I cannot uninstall. Trying to uninstall it just brings up a screen saying what it is. Is there another way to remove it? 

Message 48 of 120
walkermacy
in reply to: EricsUsername

You have to read back through this thread and find the posts from either me or one other person that specify which files need to be deleted from the 'C:\ProgramData' and your user profile 'AppData' folders. If those files (there are two) are not deleted, the uninstaller will never go past the screen you are seeing.

Message 49 of 120
rooshina.nair09
in reply to: Anonymous

You're a genius! This legit helped! Thanks a bunch!
Message 50 of 120
Anonymous
in reply to: hexnand

thanks a lot! 🙂 that worked.
Message 51 of 120
Anonymous

Wow. Congratulations Autodesk. You really know, how not(!) to deal with future clients of yours.
Thankful I came across this thread before buying crap software that you can't delete without taking further steps.

What a joke.

Message 52 of 120
Anonymous

I fully understand that I am REALLY late to be talking about this, but I feel this needs to be mentioned, since I am seeing replies in the thread relating to disregarding or criticizing the TOS (Terms of Service). FULL DISCALIMER: I do not work at Autodesk, nor am I affiliated to them in any way. I am not calling anyone out; I am simply clarifying an issue that seems to be prevalent especially in this thread. This message is for everyone's own good.

1. The company that makes and licenses its software (in this case, Autodesk) has full right to put whatever it wants in the TOS/EULA. This allows the software to make changes to the user's computer in a way that the software will work best (preventing piracy, collecting data, installing special modules, etc).

2. If a user wants to use the software, they MUST agree to the TOS and everything (yes, everything) contained within it. Pressing the big Agree button assumes that the user has completely read the TOS, therefore the software has FULL right to everything that the user has "agreed" to. This is the biggest danger to NOT FULLY READING WHAT YOU'RE AGREEING TO, because if you're name's on the contract, the company isn't responsible. Please, for your own sake, READ IT BEFORE AGREEING.

3. In Autodesk's defense, it is a highly reputable company for developing useful and efficient software, and therefore its risk of piracy is a lot greater than most. The Genuine Service which its software will install is merely a way to protect and ensure legality in several aspects:

-First, it protects YOU from potentially infected versions you may have come across and downloaded (perhaps through piracy).

-Second, it protects you from being held responsible for piracy (Piracy is a pretty big deal, legality-wise. When one pirates software, they are essentially stealing what others have worked hard on and deserve payment for. Piracy is also not a victimless crime, so if you are caught downloading pirated software, you CAN be held responsible for being associated.).

-Lastly, bringing everything together, you basically agreed to have the Genuine Service installed on your system, and it is only trying to do its job. Maybe a few bugs prevent it from being uninstalled, but it's not useless, or infringing on your rights. The way to get around these bugs was mentioned previously in this thread, but it's probably not Autodesk's fault if it won't correctly uninstall.

TL:DR Don't criticize the TOS if you hit the Agree button on it.

Message 53 of 120
Anonymous

"TL:DR Don't criticize the TOS if you hit the Agree button on it."

Well, no, sir. We still have laws and rights, so I have to strongly disagree with you.

A company can not "put whatever it wants in the TOS/EULA". It's actually their obligation

to notify potential customers and inform them about any deviations from "typical"

terms and conditions.

It's not their place to decide, when I can fully erase parts of their software, when I

am not using any of their products anymore. Hate to break it to you, but that's not

how it works.

Also, I have to admit, I'm quite concerned that you feel that it should be in their

legal rights to decide how you handle your personal(!) computer. Kind of a weird

understanding of laws and rights, to be honest.

Message 54 of 120
Anonymous

We are complaining that their software isn't easy to remove. It doesn't remove itself when you uninstall all of their products, you cannot uninstall it via "Add or Remove Programs", and you have to go in and manually delete folders (which many basic computer users may be uncomfortable with).  It's fine to have it when we are using the software, but Autodesk needs to pick up it's trash on the way out the door. 

Message 55 of 120
bloniarz

Even assuming that your suspect legal analysis is correct, I can tell you this much for certain:  After pulling a stunt like this, which feels like malware behavior to me, I will not ever buy any product from AutoDesk.

I *was* a potential customer who was trying to uninstall a trial version of NetFabb premium before it expired.  I had decided that this product wasn't what I was looking for, but was still considering other AutoDesk products.  However, when I came across this I instantly decided that I will not be purchasing *any* AutoDesk products -- ever.

Instead of protecting me and their own interests, as you would put it, they drove a potential customer away.  If the common sentiment in this thread is any indicator, I'm not the only one.

Message 56 of 120
Anonymous

worked perfect for me, Thank you
Message 57 of 120
Anonymous

Works perfectly. Thanks you

Message 58 of 120
Anonymous

F*CK U, AUTODESK!!!

Message 59 of 120
Anonymous

2 weeks my ass, I havent had anything Auto desk installed for 1 full year and it is still installed on my computer. In fact, I have 2 instances. Please make this uninstallable. I am in need of this space for other programs. 

Message 60 of 120

A genuine F you to Autodesk for making this genuine malware.

Worst curses!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report