Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spline not staying in 2D plane

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
thuffam
300 Views, 6 Replies

Spline not staying in 2D plane

I have a sketch with a simple rectangle and a spline replacing one end (so a rounded end to the rectangle).

When I try to extrude it, Fusion would not allow me to select the plane. After 2 days of googling all I can assume is that some of it is off plane and now 3D. 

When I delete and recreate the spline, when I adjust the end point things to adjust the curve, when I finish the sketch, it draws completely differently...and when I revolve the drawing I can see that it has gone somewhere in 3D.

I have the option "3D Sketch" turned off (unchecked) and the preference "Design - Allow 3D sketching of lines and splines" also turned off.

Is this a bug with Fusion?  It means I cannot use it to create a simple spline and extrude it.  

My sketch does have some elements from another sketch projected onto it.

I have tried recreating a sketch with the similar items - a projection and spline - but it seems to work.   So why is it not working for my other sketch?  It seems to be ignoring the options and preferences.  I have tried closing and reopening the sketch and Fusion.

Labels (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jeff_strater
in reply to: thuffam

Please do not double post.  See:  how-to-constrain-a-sketch-fit-point-spline-to-a-2d-plane-so-it 

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 7
g-andresen

Hi,

Please follow up on your request in this post, as the "duplicate post" -  @jeff_strater  -   mentioned, referred to mesh bodies.
However, since you have said that you are not referring to such, please provide a file for inspection.

günther

Message 4 of 7
thuffam
in reply to: jeff_strater

@jeff_strater I am sorry for what might seem like a double post - but on re-reading the prior post, I had asked a question on someone else's post - but I had subsequently realised they were doing something quite different to me - they were trying to trace a mesh -where I am not using a mesh, nor tracing at all.    Seeing as there is no ability to remove posts I have just deleted the text of my other question - apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Back to the issue at hand.... I simply have some sketches and extrusions.  So at a loss as to why the spline in a sketch keeps wandering off into 3D.   

I simply have a 

Message 5 of 7
thuffam
in reply to: g-andresen

Correct - not using meshes - that was wrong of me to add my question to that post - I have done my best to remove it. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Please find file attached.  The offending sketch is called "Sketch9_2PartFrontLarge"   it was used for the subsequent extrusion in the time line.

Much appreciated and thank you very much in advance for any assistance.

Message 6 of 7
jeff_strater

Thanks for sharing the design.  Because sketch has no "history" there is no way to tell how your sketch got in that state, but I do have a theory - there are purple "included/projected" sketch points that are not on the plane.  If you ever had 3D sketch enabled, you probably snapped to those points.  The video below explains how I found and fixed those.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 7
thuffam

Hi Jeff. Thank you so much for taking the time to look at this.

Yes I suspect I turned the 3D settings off after creating the sketch.

I have tried your solution and while it moves the sketch onto a plane... it is not where it needs to be - which is where it was originally. And it has messed up the rest of my model (this sketch was about 1/2 way along the time line).

What is interesting.. is move-to-sketch-plane.... showed me that my sketch wasnt on the plane I thought it was - I thought I had created an offset plane from the centre... and that that was the sketch plane... obviously not.

I think I need to do some more Fusion tutorials.. I've already invested many weeks into this model and several days with this particular issue.... so will stop digging. 

The fact I could so easily paint myself into a corner is a concern... suspect my approach is fundamentally flawed.  

Will start again.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report