Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running Fusion with Rosetta 2 on Apple ARM-based M1 Chipsets

443 REPLIES 443
SOLVED
Message 1 of 444
keqingsong
196541 Views, 443 Replies

Running Fusion with Rosetta 2 on Apple ARM-based M1 Chipsets

July 5, 2023 Update 

Hello all, the current Insider Build of Fusion now has native Apple Silicon support, and as you read some of the latest comments in this thread, the results are looking great. Our goal is make it available to everyone by our next product update, which should be happening towards the end of the month. If you want to try it now, you can sign up to join our Insider Program, and get access to the Insider Build. Keep in mind that once you become a member, you are under NDA and cannot sharing information publicly, with the exception of this particular project since it is already public knowledge. 

Click this link to sign-up and join: https://www.autodesk.com/campaigns/fusion-360/insider-program

Thank you to those you have who've expressed interested and have been testing it! Please continue to let us know about your experiences. 
___

November 23, 2022 Update

As you know we have been working closely with Apple on native support for Fusion on Apple Silicon Chipsets (i.e. M1 & M2). We are pleased to announce that we expect to achieve full native support by Summer of 2023.

As we have explained in this thread, the delay is a result of the need to ensure 100% compatibility between components from over 100 3rd party vendors including Autodesk.

If you want to access this functionality as soon as possible, please consider joining the Insider Program. If you have any questions on the topic please contact @Rajkumar.ilanchelian.

October 28, 2021 Update

Hey all, thanks again for the passionate discussion here. Even though we haven't chimed into this thread as much as we wanted, we are reading every single response and are actively working on getting Fusion to be natively supported on the new Apple chipset. Here's what I know from talking to the development teams: 
We are actively working on getting native support. This is still going to take some time because Fusion uses a multitude of services to work the way it does (Autodesk-owned as well as 3rd party) many of which are also not natively supported on M1 chipsets yet. We are collaborating closely with those teams to taking the necessary steps to ensure that the services we use are also natively supported. There is a lot of passion internally to get this done as well, so we definitely feel you. Again, I can't not say when this will happen, but as soon as we have something more concrete to share, we'll be sure to update you all. 

April 29, 2021 Update

We've been actively working on resolving the issues mentioned below and are glad to report that these issues no longer exist when running Fusion on the M1 chipset. We are also working closely with Apple and are in the process of certifying Fusion as 100% compatible running on M1 chipsets via Rosetta 2. 

In terms of running Fusion natively on the M1 chipset without Rosetta 2, we are still working towards this goal but is going to take some time to reach. We are confident to say that running Fusion on the M1 chipset via Rosetta 2 should be indistinguishable from running it on an Intel-based chipset, if not faster. 

If there are specific issues you've experience and are not mentioned below (strike-through items), please chime in and respond to this thread so we are aware and can look into it ASAP. Thank you for your continued support! 

___

Apple's original press release 

We are delighted to see Fusion being featured in the most recent Apple ARM-based M1 Macbook Pro announcement. Although Fusion isn’t natively compatible on Apple’s new M1 chipset architecture yet, Rosetta 2 should enable you to run Fusion*. We will be sure to keep you posted on our progress towards support of Apple’s new line of chipsets.   

* While much of Fusion 360 works as expected under Rosetta 2, we discovered that some Fusion 360 components were not yet compatible. If you run Fusion 360 using Rosetta 2, you may experience issues in these areas:  

·         Switching Team Hubs in the Data Panel  

·         Insert from McMaster-Carr  

·         Explore Generative Design and Electronics Cooling Simulation results  

·         ECAD Tool Libraries and Content Manager  

·         Local Simulation Solves utilizing NASTRAN  

If you rely on the impacted areas for your work, we recommend you to stay on Intel-based Macs until we have these issues sorted out.   

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Tags (2)
443 REPLIES 443
Message 361 of 444
P.IM
in reply to: bmxjeff

@bmxjeff... *Do* you follow the forum? There's a healthy handful of "real" issues reported here. I personally reported more than one.
Message 362 of 444
P.IM
in reply to: r.moss

This is my experience every day with Fusion. It's horrendous. Like, HORRIBLE. Unusable. Except for the 10% of the time where it almost works flawlessly. It's literally like a different application every time I open it.
Message 363 of 444
TrippyLighting
in reply to: P.IM

A Report should  include a model in native .f3d format, screenshots, a description of a workflow, and perhaps a screen cast. In case of crashes, log files also help. I see indeed very little of that here in this thread.

EESignature

Message 364 of 444
jodom4
in reply to: keqingsong

Hey everyone,

As you know we have been working closely with Apple on native support for Fusion 360 on Apple Silicon Chipsets (i.e. M1 & M2). We are pleased to announce that we expect to achieve full native support by Summer of 2023.

As we have explained in this thread, the delay is a result of the need to to ensure 100% compatibility between components from over 100 3rd party vendors including Autodesk.

If you want to access this functionality as soon as possible, please consider joining the Insider Program. If you have any questions on the topic please contact @RajkumarIlanchelian.

Jonathan Odom
Community Manager + Content Creator
Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 365 of 444
hijazh
in reply to: jodom4

This is fantastic news. Thank you for confirming this and I'm sure this will be greatly received by many users. Onwards and upwards!
Message 366 of 444
rileyaT95SP

This is excellent news. Thankyou for confirming rough timescales.

Message 367 of 444
stevemR7QS6

Brilliant news re having a time-frame and commitment 🙂

Message 368 of 444
qkarmark

fantastic news.... thanks for sharing!

Unless a new thread is being created in order to facilitate this renewed achievement schedule, it might be a good idea to include it as an update to the opening message, like the other two April/October updates - perhaps with some expected milestones, considering it is a really long thread already!

Message 369 of 444
P.IM
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Hmm... Could that maybe be because this isn't an issue thread? Maybe because this is a discussion about a future release of software? Hmm? Maybe little bit?
Message 370 of 444
maruska

Thank you for the update on future plans! 

Message 371 of 444
leefarley

Summer of 2023--are you trying to lose customers?  Apple silicon has been out for 2 years and now another 6 months.  I can tell you Fusion 360 on an M1 Max with 32gb of ram runs poorly.  Really expected more from Autodesk.  

Message 372 of 444
rylindsley

When this update for Apple Silicon occurs, can we please have it finally install in the normal /Applications folder like every other app? 

Message 373 of 444
brandonXNQ6E
in reply to: rylindsley

Thank you for the update.  Glad to hear that there is light at the end of the tunnel!

I agree with @rylindsley, please have this install in the /Applications folder.  Thank you.

Message 374 of 444
younger2X23Q

Wow! this is a dream coming true finally!
Message 375 of 444

Am so looking forward to this release. Am not expecting it to be perfect given the complexity of the product and the amount of details/tests that have to be performed as part of the software port. With that said, it is good to know that this is finally getting sorted out, it is why I paid for the subscription (am a hobbyist woodworker so it was out of my own pocket), that way the development team gets paid to do this work.

Message 376 of 444

I have an M1 with Rosetta 2 installed running Ventura. Fusion 360 won't launch, am I missing something?

Message 377 of 444

Error: Autodesk Fusion 360 quit unexpectedly. I have a ticket open with support.

Message 378 of 444
jgpaul16
in reply to: Pamela.Chimombe

Where are you running it from?

/Applications

or 

/Users/<username>/Applications

You have to run from /Users/<username>/Applications

Regards,

James

Message 379 of 444
fredericGTBCM

Hi there, I've just got a brand new M2 pro lap top, it works perfectly with other 3D software like Keyshot. But with Fusion some parts are terribly slow. For exemple updating feature flange on a metal sheet takes 5 minuts each time i edit, and it's on a average size project, not so big.... It's a real nightmare to work on a project like this. I would like to know when will @2 will be fully supported ? it's now urgent

Message 380 of 444

Apple announced its plan to switch Mac computers from Intel processors to
Apple Silicon at WWDC 2020 on June 22, 2020. At that time they also
offered Apple Silicon computers to developers, so they could start work of
moving their apps to the new platform. We have to assume that every
competent developer placed an order for one of these computers on that day
or shortly after. That was almost three years ago.

Autodesk made an announcement that they would have something available to
see by summer. But on the other hand, it has been almost three years since
Apple announced the switch to Apple Silicone and Autodesk has not been able
to even show a feature-restricted demo in all that time. I have to
seriously question the technical competence of their engineers. Having
nothing at all to show still at this point, while claiming to be "done" in
only a few months, stretches credibility. You would THINK that Autodesk
would be talking about the new software that is only months away. But
they did say it will be here in summer. We will have to wait and see.

As users, our best plan is to have our eyes on the exit sign and test
alternative software. Look at FreeCAD and OnShape. Both are very good and
will run on your Mac. Give Autodesk some more time, but also you should
explore options if they don't deliver or if they deliver a buggy product.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report