Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Tangent Plane on a cone.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
jsibre
201 Views, 13 Replies

Problem with Tangent Plane on a cone.

Hi,

I'm having a problem with Tangent Planes on a cone. 

I'm new to Fusion, so it's quite possible I just don't know what I'm doing.  I don't understand what the Reference Plane option does (I've played with it a bit, and haven't figured out what it's doing, and the docs here are not expansive on that detail: https://help.autodesk.com/view/fusion360/ENU/?guid=SLD-CONSTRUCT-TANGENT-PLANE).

In my actual project (as opposed to the test case project I've created), I'm working on something that resembles a colander (images on Google).  A flat bottom bowl that is perforated with a zillion holes.  The part that causes trouble is putting holes in the more vertical part of the bowl (I guess it's a conic frustum, with the narrow end 'down').  To put the holes there:

1. I'm attaching a tangent plane to a cone. 

2. I create a sketch on that plane, and draw a rect/circle a few mm up from the origin of that plane (landing the hole-to-be in the wall).

3. I then extrude that rect/circle to make a hole.

4. I then use Rectangular Pattern and Circular Pattern to copy that hole up the side to the top of the wall, and then copy it about the Z axis about 90 times (every 4º) to cover most of the surface.

I could be done at this point, but I want alternating holes to make it more 'diamond shaped' than grid shaped.

5. I create a second Tangent Plane in the same quadrant of the cone (I notice you can do it in each of four locations, 90º apart from one another), and use the angle to shift it by 2º (half of the 4º spacing I achieved by putting 90 around the circular pattern)

6. I create a sketch on that second Tangent Plane (TP), similar to the first, except that I make the hole a bit higher than the hole I made on TP1's sketch.  Now, this hole is a bit above and to the right of the first one.

You can stop there.  I went ahead and rect/circle patterned before I eventually noticed the problem, but if you know the problem is coming, and you look for it, you can see it at this point. 

The hole created on TP2 is too far to the left.  It *should* be perfectly between (but above) the first hole in TP1 and it's sibling to it's right, but it's not.  Also, if you *do* perform the rect pattern step, you'll notice that line of holes is *not quite* parallel to the first rect pattern done on TP1.

So, I've done a lot of messing with this problem, and created a test case for sharing (I'll try to attach it here), but I want to pause in case this is enough for someone to tell me that I'm doing it wrong, and I should do "xyz" instead.

I will mention though that it appears that when I rotate the TP, Fusion rotates it as if it were on a cylinder that was coincident with the line where the initially created TP touches the cone.  That is, pretend there's a cylinder there, instead of a cone.  If you do that, the rotation makes sense.  I feel like this is a bug, but again, I'm probably just doing something wrong. 

I found this post, and feel this may be somehow related.

So.  Test case.

I've spend a lot of time on this (an embarrassing amount - over 12 hours, probably).  I've built a simplified test case that demonstrates this with the cone, the two TPs, a greatly reduced number of holes, and 90º steps instead of 4º.  Why 90º?  Because then I can create a third TP in the next quadrant, and sketch a hole on it that *should* correspond to the hole on TP2.  and then you can see the wonky mismatch and angle deviation.

But again - I'm probably just doing it wrong.  Shoulda asked for help sooner. 🙂

Here's a screenshot of my test case.

TP1 is the first Tangent Plane, created in "quadrant 1" (arbitrary label).

TP2 is the TP created in the same quadrant, but rotated 90º.

TP3 is my extra (for test case only) TP created in the next quadrant over, and not rotated.  What i see there is what I expect TP2 to look like. Of course, this only works out this way because my test case uses 90º instead of the actual 4º I want to use in the real project.  The 90º is because it greatly exagerates the effect, making it super-obvious, and it also aligns with the next location I can create a TP at, which will look correct.

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 9.29.49 PM.png

Here's one more screenshot where I've rotated to look straight at the right face.  You can see how the construction lines on TP1 & 2 are parallel, as if the rotation was around a cylinder, not a cone.  Odd that the angle between those construction lines and the imaginary line connecting the two origins is not 90º. 

Screenshot 2024-09-09 at 9.37.54 PM.png

I feel like something is wonky here.

I hope this makes sense - it took a long time to figure out, and I'm afraid that it's too complicated to explain without a video.  (But also that a video will take another embarrassing amount of time!)

Thanks,

Jason

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong? 

Labels (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
davebYYPCU
in reply to: jsibre

Before we dig any more rabbit holes.  Can check the file tomorrow.

Same size holes?

Bottom row will look squashed, compared to top row.

There appears to be some thickness in the bucket walls.

Similar problem are the holes straight, as if drilled, or conic tapered to centre line of bucket?

Presume it is to be Extrude Cut and not a Hole Tool hole.

How did you make the bucket? Revolve, Taper Extrude, Sweep or Loft?

Let me know.

Message 3 of 14
jsibre
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Hi,

Yes, the holes are all the same size (2mm x 2mm square in the test case, but at one point I had been using circles that were 2.5mm in diameter.)

Yes, top row will have more lateral spacing than the bottom row.  I'm starting at the bottom row, so it's defined to be acceptable, and lateral distance between the holes increases as the rows get higher.  Vertical distance remains the same.

The walls are approx 2.5mm thick - the dimension is set on the XY plane, so the actual thickness is a bit less since the walls are not perpendicular to the XY plane.  (If they were, it would just be a cylinder, not a cone.)

The holes are straight, not conic.  Yes, the hole is done with the Extrude feature vs the Hole feature.

The bottom of the bucket is just a circle on the XY that I extruded.  The walls were created by drawing a sketch of the wall's profile on the XZ, which I then Revolved about the top plane of the bottom part.

Thanks

Jason

Edit: fixed typo where I said XY when I meant XZ

Message 4 of 14
jsibre

Interesting... I thought I'd had a brainwave after reading this post: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-design-validate-document/how-to-create-a-plane-tangent-to-cone...

Based on that, I thought, "I should be able to define the plane I need by using Plane Tangent to Face at Point!"

Nope.  Well, yes, but it does the same wrong thing.  It's a bit baffling because in that context it really looks buggy.

Message 5 of 14
davebYYPCU

Umm, 

We have a problem creating a diamond pattern with the current info.  2.5mm squares and 4 degree offset, are not compatible.  the 4-degree turn is too tight in my opinion.  What was your intended vertical spacing?

rh1db.PNG

Demo - mock up to show what is a likely result without changes.

As to bug? in Tangent planes, cannot speak to that as I have always found ways to avoid them.

Might help...

Message 6 of 14
jsibre

You're right - the test case didn't have the same dimensions as the original (I realized that after uploading). In the test case, the holes would ultimately overlap, but that isn't the issue. The problem is that the Tangent Plane, when rotated about the cone, does not maintain its orientation on the cone. Instead, it acts as if it's being rotated around a cylinder.

As to "found ways to avoid them", I'm curious: Is that because you've had trouble with them, too? Or you've just found other solutions that seemed less complex?

I've spent a few minutes pondering the fact that surely I can set up a plane with the desired orientation without using Tangent Plane or Plane Tangent to Face at Point, (i.e., three points, two lines, plane at angle, etc) but I haven't sat down at Fusion and tried to work it out yet. If you have a suggestion, I'm open to it.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 14
davebYYPCU

Tangent plane on a face at a point, is difficult to create with stability.

Plane on Angle, on the Revolve profile line is so easy, no need to consider alternates.

rh1db2.PNG

The problem is that the Tangent Plane, when rotated about the cone, does not maintain its orientation on the cone

Construction planes are not geometry, so have very limited use when trying to duplicate them.  (Can be done but too complicated when simple alternates exist)

Your file has no rotated planes - these 2 are aligned.

rh1db4.PNG

Sketching on body faces is more stable and duplicating in patterns bodies or faces is very simple.

rh1db3.PNG

Back to the design, 

Start with two cutter bodies that are lower cutters for row 1 and row 2, in correct spacing orientation, pattern them up the wall, and follow with circular pattern.  (Max fit is 6 degrees)

rh1db5.PNG

Might help...

Message 8 of 14
jsibre

Thanks for the suggestion - I haven't tried it yet, but will.  I didn't know I could create a Plane at Angle on a circle (I think that's a paraphrase of "Plane on Angle, on the Revolve profile" - if not, then I didn't quite understand what you meant).  That would be more simple that what I DID try an hour or so ago.

What I tried was laying out some construction lines on the top surface of the bottom plate that gave me some lines I could use as the basis of a pair of "Planes at Angles". Actually, I guess it may be what you were describing above, but I added a couple of lines that were tangent to the circle.  Perhaps they were implied/assumed. 

jsibre_1-1726025868281.png

That appeared to ultimately yield perfect results on the bottom row, but I did notice things "got weird" if I adjusted the angle (circled in image) after creating the planes.

By "got weird", I mean I started seeing evidence of the plane ... rotating.  Not rotating about the line it was defined on, but rotating on its own Normal (local Z, I suppose).  However, I got what appeared perfect after I created it in the correct spot, and didn't mess with it:

jsibre_0-1726025623269.png

I haven't put the second hole through the pattern process yet, and it's at the same height as the first row to make the alignment easier to eyeball.  I measured with the measurement tool, and saw the spacing was only off by .001 mm.  I'm hoping that's just some odd rounding error.  I'd have expected it to be correct to a finer degree.

Finally, the reason I say "appeared" to yield perfect results is because I didn't complete the tiling.  You did, and on the bottom row it looks good..., but I don't know if you noticed, but at the top row in your image, you can see the holes have biased to the right (or perhaps left).  Suggesting the second column of holes was drawn on a plane slightly rotated:

jsibre_2-1726026105192.png

Ok, after writing the above, I spent a few more minutes revising, and was able to put this together, based on the layout line approach:

jsibre_4-1726027475055.png

Took a few measurements, and it seems correct. 

Just for grins, I've changed the angle in the layout to 15º (performing no other adjustments) and got this:

jsibre_6-1726027727189.png

Now, obviously, the placement of the holes is wrong; ignore that.  Focus on the change in spacing from bottom to top.  The holes no longer go straight up the side!  This is what I was talking about when I mentioned things could still get weird.

I feel like that's a violation of the parametric nature of the product.  I should be able to go back and edit that angle (did I type 5º?  that isn't right; make it 6º), and it should 'play through'.  But it doesn't. Not perfectly.  It has side effects that are different from creating it that way in the first place.  But perhaps I'm not understanding something. I will cheerfully acknowledge I'm new to this product, and that it's view of a plane is actually more complex than "just a plane" - it includes a local origin, and a local definition of the orientation of the X, Y and Z axis. So far, I haven't figured a way to affect how those are defined, and I'm assuming that it's "just set" at creation time to something that seems sensible, based on the info used to create it.  Again, a blind spot in my understanding.

At any rate, I feel like I have a workable solution here, and perhaps I can just "get on with it." (Though I love to pick and tease at something that doesn't look quite right...)

Thanks for your help in learning a few more ways to look at a design challenge such as this!

Message 9 of 14
davebYYPCU

Did your changes break my file? -I'll presume it's another version of one of yours - that I can't review.

"Plane on Angle, on the Revolve profile" leaving the most important word off - was 

"Plane on Angle, on the Revolve profile line" - the black line in my first picture.

However, my file did not use a Plane on Angle, or Tangent plane.  (Too complicated)

Your top hole bias pic green circles- yes that is my mockup coming back to bite me. 

Has to do with the widening spacing that I warned about earlier.  (I forgot)  

I Rectangular Patterned both "Holes" and I should have 2 rectangular Patterns.  One for each column of holes.

Which is directly related to the 15 degrees testing, the holes will have to be adjusted to being half of any angle change you want, which also relative to the circular pattern count.  My file is 6 degrees offset, pattern is 12 degrees for 2 columns, and pattern count is 30 for circular pattern.  (360 / 12)

Your numbers will be 7.5, 15, count 24.

Might help....

Message 10 of 14
jsibre

I'm not sure what you mean about my changes breaking your file... I don't think it could, assuming the files aren't linked in the cloud (maybe they are?  I assume the .f3d file is self contained, and not some link to a version of the file in the cloud).

By the way, I neglected to share the .f3d of what I used to produce that latest batch.  Here it is, if you're interested.  I don't think you need to look at it - I'm only offering it in case you want to see what I was writing about 'first hand'.

There are some extraneous bits; the salient bits are the sketches named "Lines to help define planes", "Hole on PaA1" and "Hole on PaA2", and the Constructions named "Plane at Angle 1" and "Plane at Angle 2"

Thanks for your help.

By the way, I do still think this points to a bug or two.  The Tangent Plane doesn't work correctly when used on a Cone (IMHO), and the "weird" re-orienting behavior observed with both the Tangent Plane and the Plane at an Angle when the orientation is changed  doesn't seem right.  I think it the orientation of the axis on a plane can be changed, then that should be exposed in the UI in some obvious way. This "it works if you create it right the first time, but not if you have to make changes" doesn't seem like the intent. Both seem to prevent the parametric intent of the product. I'll see if I can't figure out how to submit the bug ticket.

Message 11 of 14
davebYYPCU

I have not found a bug with the Plane on Angle in your new file version, they are set at 100 degrees, as expected, aligns to the 100 degree wall angle.  Did what you needed.

Let me know how to "Move" any Plane. 

You can parametrically change / select inputs.

Might help...

Message 12 of 14
jsibre

Hi, the part that I think is a bug is that if I change the other angle (5º, 15º, the angle that has been used to move the plane a few degrees around the cone), it does not create the same end result as it would have if I created the plane AFTER that angle had been set. 

This bug can be reproduced for Tangent Plane, Plane at Angle, and Plane Tangent to Face at Point.  It may be present in other features; those are the only three I've used while on this little adventure.

I can send you samples 'proving' that, but I'd rather not.  It'll take more time.  The conversation above demonstrates it on Tangent Plane and Plane at Angle.  I saw it on Plane Tangent to Face at Point as well, but I don't think I provided any screenshots of that. 

Message 13 of 14
davebYYPCU

Tangent Plane - can not speak to.

Plane on Angle - requires selection of a line, set the angle.  If the line is edited to a new position, the Plane updates.  Edit the set angle, the plane updates.  How would that be a buggy process?

Might help….

Message 14 of 14
jeff_strater

@jsibre wrote:

Hi, the part that I think is a bug is that if I change the other angle (5º, 15º, the angle that has been used to move the plane a few degrees around the cone), it does not create the same end result as it would have if I created the plane AFTER that angle had been set. 

This bug can be reproduced for Tangent Plane, Plane at Angle, and Plane Tangent to Face at Point.  It may be present in other features; those are the only three I've used while on this little adventure.

I can send you samples 'proving' that, but I'd rather not.  It'll take more time.  The conversation above demonstrates it on Tangent Plane and Plane at Angle.  I saw it on Plane Tangent to Face at Point as well, but I don't think I provided any screenshots of that. 

I would like to see one of those samples.  I looked at your design a bit, but I don't really understand what the problem is in that design.  If you can demonstrate, on a simple design (preferably just a cone and a tangent plane) a case where the behavior does not seem right to you, please do share it.  Yes, it will take more time, but if there is a bug there, I'd like to see it get fixed, and that time will be appreciated.

Are you using a reference plane in creating your tangent plane?  If not, Fusion will use the pick point on the cone (which is not a stable entity, and almost impossible to re-create) as the point of reference.  You will get a much more predictable result using a reference plane.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report