Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion browser overlays other applications in Mac iOS

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
rlenicheck
1627 Views, 27 Replies

Fusion browser overlays other applications in Mac iOS

In Mac iOS BigSur 11.4: When I have Fusion loaded and running in the background the Fusion browser keeps overlaying itself on top of other applications running simultaneously. It can be cleared by clicking on the original app but this is a real pain and should not be happening.

Others having this problem?

Labels (2)
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28

Hello @rlenicheck ,

Sorry for the trouble, this is a known issue and out team is already working on this issue.

Thanks!

Mohammed Adam Ali
Sr. SW Eng. Test
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 28
maxxxw
in reply to: rlenicheck

@mohammed.aliTDPXK @jodom4 is there any update on this issue after all this time?

This bug has been present for well over 1 year. And there's many reports:
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/fusion-mac-issue-with-browser-displaying-over-othe...

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/browser-does-not-disappear/m-p/11236248

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-support/browser-rendering-on-mac/m-p/11406261

If you search the forums there's actually many bug related to the browser on Mac. I think I've experienced them all at one time or another 😅

Message 4 of 28
mohammed.aliTDPXK
in reply to: maxxxw

Hello @maxxxw ,

I have checked with the team and these are hard to reproduce consistently, our team is aware of these items.

I will get back to you on this when I get something from the team.

Thanks!

Mohammed Adam Ali
Sr. SW Eng. Test
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 28
lance.carocci

This is a bug that we cannot reliably reproduce. When tested internally, 9 times out of 10, the browser disappears as expected. That last 1 time, it happens doing the exact same thing we did the other 9 times.

If you are able to pin down any steps which can reproduce reliably, please let us know. I speculate that the order or way in which the Fusion app window is interacted with relative to other apps may be a factor - possibly monitor layout, too. Timing may also be a factor. If you are able to include a recording showing what you were doing leading up to the bug reproducing, that may also be helpful.

Thank you for your patience while we track down this annoying browser quirk.

Lance Carocci
Fusion QA for UI Framework/Cloud Workflows, and fervent cat enthusiast
Message 6 of 28
maxxxw

@lance.carocci 

If you are able to pin down any steps which can reproduce reliably, please let us know.

I can reproduce it reliably.

In my setup the key thing is to have the external screens woken up by the mac, then the mac unlocked, then the issue is there every time. If the external screens don't go to sleep (black screen) and then get woken up again, for example if I lock my mac and unlock it before the screens go to sleep, the issue is not present.

My setup:

• M1 Mac pro
  • 2x displays via USB-C (2560 x 1440 @ 60.00Hz)

So this is how I can reproduce it:

1. Put Fusion 360 on external screen
  2. Minimise Fusion 360 to the dock
  3. Lock macOS
  4. Wait until external screens go to sleep or just turn them off
  5. Wake up mac (but don't unlock)
  6. Wait for screens to wake up or turn them on. They should show your wallpaper.
  7. Unlock Mac
  8. The issue is there (see my attachment)
Message 7 of 28
tiktuk

I wish this would get fixed. So annoying to have the browser on top of the rest of my applications..

Message 8 of 28
bentwookie

@lance.carocci 

The Mac's window server has a mechanism for grouping windows so the OS takes care of ordering and moving them together. It's there to prevent these exact kind of race conditions. Is the component browser setup as a child of the canvas window? 

Message 9 of 28
lance.carocci
in reply to: bentwookie

@bentwookie no, actually we make use of the Qt::Tool flag for most of Fusion's floating palette windows. This worked great historically, but has slowly broken down since about 10.14 Mojave, especially with Spaces and app window switching. MacOS really likes to treat these Tool flags as individual app windows now, much to our chagrin.

There is an ongoing effort to refactor away from this flag and let macOS do the work for us, but it's been a tricky process that risks introducing new regressions in the process of solving others.

Lance Carocci
Fusion QA for UI Framework/Cloud Workflows, and fervent cat enthusiast
Message 10 of 28
tiktuk
in reply to: lance.carocci

Nice to hear that you're working on it 🙂 .
Message 11 of 28

This affect happens for me 100% of the time, even on a brand new MacBook Pro with no other software installed.  Just install a fresh Ventura 13.1 and then install Fusion360.  I have two physical monitors and use virtual windows.

It's super annoying since Fusion is using two virtual windows, one with the main application and the other with just the nested list of bodies, components, etc. overlayed on another app.  Every time anything happens in Fusion it switches the virtual window to the overlay and I have to switch back.   This happens hundreds of times a day, and has been happening for years 😞

Message 12 of 28
tiktuk

This is a good example (just happened to me):

I'm trying to develop an add-in for Fusion 360 and Fusion's ui is obstructing the debugger so I can't see the add-in.

And the usual "fix" of cmd-tabbing back and forth to Fusion does not work because Fusion is busy being debugged..

Screenshot 2023-03-11 at 15.29.43.png

Message 13 of 28
patrick8SF3E
in reply to: tiktuk

Over 2 years and this is still a known issue...  

Message 14 of 28
maxxxw

And easily reproducible...

Message 15 of 28
PhDEdd

Any updates on this? Happens when waking Macbook Air (Apple silicon, latest OS) from sleep. Happened with previous Intel MBP.

It's been a consistent problem for at least 3 years now. It happens 100% of the time when waking from sleep, so it's completely reproducible.

Message 16 of 28

This is also reliably happening to me with the latest Fusion 360 and Mac OS 12.6.5 - it's also been happening for the last few years, consistently, with every recent version of Mac OS and Fusion 360.  It reliably happens after waking from sleep, but also pretty often after just starting Fusion 360 and using any other open window.

Message 17 of 28

also checking to see if there is an update. Still happening 5/19/23 and it is really—really annoying. 

Message 18 of 28
tw7P6VA

Any updates on this? Why does the browser overlay have to be free floating in the first place? Is that a feature people even use? Probably a lot of people would appreciate if this get fixed, instead of having the ability to have the panel free floating... right now it is a constant reminder that Fusion on Mac isn't really fully supported.

Message 19 of 28
wildcardfox
in reply to: tw7P6VA

I’ve just gotten into the habit of minimizing the fusion browser because despite new updates, this problem persists.
Message 20 of 28
PhDEdd
in reply to: tw7P6VA

They claim they can't replicate it, which is interesting, because it's happened consistently for several years on multiple Mac laptops through several versions of Mac OS and Fusion 360.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report