Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extrude cut not cutting it!

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
5716 Views, 19 Replies

Extrude cut not cutting it!

I was trying to cut into this body but it doesn't seem to work.

I'm not sure what the issue is as I've done this same thing before and it did work.

I attached the fusion f3d file.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Phil.E
in reply to: Anonymous

Check the "objects to cut" list in the Extrude dialog. I don't see any issues with the file you attached, so perhaps in your workflow that body is not included in the cut list. I can't reproduce any problem here.

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Phil.E

Hmm, I actually looked at that section before and Body 5 (the body I was trying to cut into) was indeed checked yet it didn't work.

However it seems that it does work now. Maybe me restarting Fusion 360 had a hand in it.

It's very odd but it seems fixed for now.

Thanks for the help.

Edit: I tried doing the same thing on another side and it had the same issue. I saved and tried it again and then it worked so something weird is going on for sure.

Edit: Now saving didn't work either anymore. Hmmm

Message 4 of 20
g-andresen

Hi,

try it this way:

multiple cut.gif

Why > ?

günther

Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

I tried the way you're showing but also no success. I also checked the "Objects to cut" section but that seems to be all in order yet it's still not doing what it's supposed to. (Or at least I think so)

I'll include another screencast just to confirm.

Message 6 of 20
g-andresen

Hi,

just tested > extrude from backside

günther

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: g-andresen

I'm not sure what you mean.

Message 8 of 20
jeff_strater

I think there is a bug here.  I can reproduce it, but the results are variable.  When it fails, going into the parameters dialog and adding a "-" to the distance makes it work OK (though you cannot do this in the dialog).  So, the sketch seems to be confused about its extrude direction in some way.  I'll log a bug on this.  Here is a video of times when it works, and other times when it does not.  Some of the profile curves seem to be causing the issue...

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 9 of 20
davebYYPCU

Failed 1st time for me too.

Extrude with a drag on the blue handle an exaggerated distance or by selecting All,

both worked, here.

Message 10 of 20
jeff_strater
in reply to: jeff_strater

I found that this profile, in particular, is a problem:

2020-12-01_12-24-00.png

selecting that one always goes the wrong way.  Other profiles seem to be fine.  Bug.

[edit] the Fusion bug is FUS-75757

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff_strater

Thanks for tracking the issue down! @jeff_strater 

To give some context to everything (I don't know if this will help but maybe it will)

I used the Voronoi Sketch Generator to generate the sketches

My settings for the sketches generated are:
Curved
30 cells

10 iterations

140mm

140mm

75 % scale

Once generated I did have to move them into place by rotating and then moving them to the correct position.

From that point on I would do Extrude Cuts like shown.

Here's the link to the Generator:
https://apps.autodesk.com/FUSION/en/Detail/Index?id=1006119760063675415&appLang=en&os=Win64

For now I'll mark it as resolved.

Message 12 of 20
k.asmena

Its a display glitch. Make a cut, it will show as extra faces on body, but after restrting fusion it shows as cut.

Message 13 of 20
rampantwolf

3 months later, this problem still persists in the latest Fusion 360 release. My Fusion 360 is up to date and I have restarted my computer several times. I'm running into a similar glitch when doing a simple circle extrude cut out of a solid piece. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Pretty frustrating that one of the most basic 3D CAD parametric modeling functions doesn't work in a predictable AND EASY way. Hope this get's some urgent attention from the developers as this bug is rather crucial to the UX of Fusion 360. thx

Message 14 of 20
jeff_strater
in reply to: rampantwolf

can you supply some relevant supporting data?  I have not heard any other reports of Extrude Cut not working in any general sense.  Please share a design that shows a problem, along with info about what profile you are selecting, distances for extrude, etc.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 15 of 20
bpfouche

Hello,

I have a similar case that I have isolated in the attached file.

In sketch named "grooves" (second sketch), change d16 from 5.35 mm to 5.2mm. From that moment the cut operation into the picatinny/stanag rail doesn't work. More exactly, if after this change the file is exported as a STEP file in read into a 3D slicer (I use Bambu Lab Studio) then the file appears to be correct. It is a display glitch inside Fusion 360 but quite a painful one because it breaks the design flow.

Regards,

Bernard

Message 16 of 20
g-andresen
in reply to: bpfouche

Hi,

something wron g with Body 1

With a copy of the body it works.

günther

Message 17 of 20
samuel.templeUCPAE

Hello @bpfouche 
I am the QA working on the Extrude feature.
Would you be able to add a screen recording of the issue? I am not able to reproduce the issue on my machine as the cut appears to work correctly after changing the dimension.

Fusion 2.0.19725

Samuel Temple

Senior Software QA Engineer

(samuel.temple@autodesk.com)

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

As a Autodesk Fusion Insider, you will have early access to next official version of Autodesk Fusion, several weeks before it is released to the general public.

Message 18 of 20

Hi,

Yesterday I was able to confirm the described behavior and offer a workaround.

Today, however, the “error” no longer occurs when the original file is opened several times.

günther

Message 19 of 20
samuel.templeUCPAE

Hey @g-andresen 
Thank you for your response.
I did a lot of playing around with it today but i just couldnt reproduce the issue.
If anyone can reproduce the issue and record it, please so share it here as it will help me and the development team hopefully find the cause.

Samuel Temple

Senior Software QA Engineer

(samuel.temple@autodesk.com)

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

As a Autodesk Fusion Insider, you will have early access to next official version of Autodesk Fusion, several weeks before it is released to the general public.

Message 20 of 20

Hi,

Have a look at this thread with  my post 4 and in this one in the German forum

günther

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report