Community
Fusion Support
Report issues, bugs, and or unexpected behaviors you’re seeing. Share Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) issues here and get support from the community as well as the Fusion team.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot cut into body without a large distance

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
zghan2005
288 Views, 9 Replies

Cannot cut into body without a large distance

Why am I unable to cut into this body unless i use a large distance?

At -10mm it seems to cut directly through the body

image.png

But at -1mm it tries to create a new body. And yes I've tried manually changing the operation to "Cut" and it said there's no body that intersects to cut.
image2.png

I'm 99% sure that the sketch is made directly on the surface of the body. Or maybe I'm wrong, what should I do here? I've attached my project file.

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
davebYYPCU
in reply to: zghan2005

There is no rectangular profile in that file.

The triangle works as expected.

Might help...

Message 3 of 10
zghan2005
in reply to: davebYYPCU

If you try to put a rectangle anywhere on the surface in the "Texts" sketch or create a new sketch directly on it, you should see the same issue.
Message 4 of 10
g-andresen

Hi,

If you create a body with “Boundary Fill” you can also add the desired extrusion.
Perhaps    @Phil.E  could explain why this is the case.

günther

Message 5 of 10
zghan2005
in reply to: g-andresen

Sorry I don't follow, will creating a body with boundary fill somehow allow me to cut into this body? How would I do that?

My ultimate goal is to put a bunch of text around the circle, by cutting into the body and then extruding it again to embed it into the disc, allowing me to assign a different color in my 3d printing software.

So will this solution work for text too?

Message 6 of 10
davebYYPCU

I can make the cut, only if I push it past 4mm

Short of 4mm the operation finds no body to cut.

Suspect it is the converted mesh body.  Quicker to make it from scratch.

@Phil.E one for the bucket. (OP file)

wfm,db.PNG

davebYYPCU_0-1721869689828.png

Might help...

Message 7 of 10
zghan2005
in reply to: davebYYPCU

I'm not sure how to make this from scratch, I need it to have the same exact dimensions and ridges on the inside since this is one part of a larger build.
Message 8 of 10
g-andresen

Hi,

@zghan2005 wrote:

Sorry I don't follow, will creating a body with boundary fill somehow allow me to cut into this body? How would I do that?

My ultimate goal is to put a bunch of text around the circle, by cutting into the body and then extruding it again to embed it into the disc, allowing me to assign a different color in my 3d printing software.

So will this solution work for text too?  > Yes!!

In the screencast I have limited the process to a section in order to shorten the computing time.

günther

Message 9 of 10
Phil.E
in reply to: g-andresen

This is a strange one. It only fails when the cut starts on the converted mesh body, and only the body. If a sketch shape is partially on the body, and partially in space, it behaves as expected entirely. Once the extrude passes into space at 4mm depth it computes correctly.

This appears to be a problem with the converted mesh body because it doesn't do this with scratch built solids. (report FUS-163892)

Phil Eichmiller
Software Engineer
Quality Assurance
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 10
CGBenner

@zghan2005 Did the information provided answer your question? If so, please use Accept Solution so that others may find this in the future. Thank you very much!

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report