Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Contour not touching one face

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
andetodd
756 Views, 6 Replies

3D Contour not touching one face

Wondering why the 3D contour doesn't hit this face now? My tool is the same size, haven't moved the model positions either. This problem is happening now that I'm trying to machine the two interior faces on the "main holder". Thanks for any input.

http://a360.co/29gZppk

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 7.45.21 AM.png

Tags (2)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: andetodd

If you have selected a limit contour for the operation, click on the small red arrow - this will select the other side of the contour. I believe you've got the wrong side of this contour selected by default, so the milling ends before the correct edge. Hope that helps. Cheers

Message 3 of 7
Steinwerks

What face? I can only guess unless you highlight something in your screenshot. There's nothing in the toolpath that suggests it's doing anything unexpected.

Also a tip: if you use Touch Faces, you'll want that Surface Clearance to be zero unless you WANT an offset.
Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 4 of 7
andetodd
in reply to: Steinwerks

The face I'd like to have surfaced is on the box in the middle. It is the face that is in view, without any cut lines going across it.

Thanks for pointing that out about the Surface Clearance.

Message 5 of 7
Steinwerks

If you add them to the Touch Faces geometry it works. I've never tried 3D Contour for prismatic parts though, I'd be tempted to run this almost all a 2D Operations.
Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 6 of 7
andetodd
in reply to: Steinwerks

Thanks, it works now. I reselected the bodies and faces and that fixed the problem. I wonder if it missed the face just because of the amount of processing needed? I have a 2015 macbook pro with 16gb ram, but it still takes about a minute for this one 3D Contour to process.
How should I approach this cut in 2D? Would I create multiple 2D Contours, one for each level of wood to shave off starting from the top and working down to the bottom?
Message 7 of 7
HughesTooling

Try these settings. You might want to turn off Machine shallow areas and select Order By Islands as well.

Clipboard01.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report