Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cone 3D Ops

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
tmodcustoms
708 Views, 6 Replies

Cone 3D Ops

I am making two cones, a "male " and "female" to fit into each other. I did the inversee, female already, took a long time, I did a roughing operation and a second "finishing " operation, because I need the surface to be pretty smooth. But I couldn't figure out rest machining so my second "cleanup " op was the same as the first, with a much smaller step down. It worked, but it spent ten of the eleven hours of machining time cutting air .  The 3D Adaptive operation I have attached below has an option for max roughing and fine roughing, according to the simulation it is hogging out most of the meat with a deeper step down then when it's touching the part it is using the fine step down and it appears to be doing exactly what I would like to accomplish with multiple operations: a roughing and a finishing operation, all in one. 

My question, is this the way you would go about getting this part done? I think if I did it in two separate operations I could do the finer, finishing pass at a lot higher feed rate and the total machining time would be cut by quite a bit. 

Additionally, I am wondering why the simulation shows red lines and tool paths, during the beginning of the operation, I can's see a crash or a reason, or a solution for that matter. I am also wondering why the stock appears to be square even tho I have the correct, cylindrical, shape setup in the setup .

Thanks, and happy fourth!

http://a360.co/29bK1IQ

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Steinwerks
in reply to: tmodcustoms

Adaptive is NOT a finishing operation. It is purely a roughing operation. Contour or Ramp would be good options for finishing operations on this part.
Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 3 of 7
tmodcustoms
in reply to: Steinwerks

I increased the fine step down on the adaptive op and added a ramp op. I'm assuming that I need to leave say 0.015 stock to leave, on the adaptive op in order for the ramping op to have leftover material to cut. Do I have to specify the amount of stock I left in adaptive op, in the ramp op, or will it figure that out by itself. If I don't select am amount of stock to leave in the adaptive op will the ramp op cut air, will it cut the difference in the stepover, making the finish smother in the final ramp op than it will be from the adaptive op?

here's the file

http://a360.co/29bK1IQ

Message 4 of 7
Steinwerks

Unless you turn on Rest Machining the 3D toolpath won't look at the previous operation.. In this case that's fine, because you know you've roughed it already. For 3D operations I would never set a roughing toolpath to leave zero material for finishing operations. How much to leave is going to depend heavily on your machine and its capabilities, the material being cut, coolant, etc. Lots of variables that mostly come with experience. In moldmaking it is common to have more than one finishing operation with one or more semi-finishing operations preceding them. Of course it is also common in those instances to have cycle times measurable in double-digit hours.

All that said, I've changed your 3D Adaptive a bit to be more in line with what I'd do given your stock definition and managed to simplify the toolpath quite a bit, as well as bring it way, way down in size. Check out Setup2 (Setup1 is unchanged so you can compare easily).

Hope this helps and lends some insights to programming in HSM.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 5 of 7
tmodcustoms

Thanks Buddy, that looks great! I'm gonna let her rip and see how it turns out. Seems to be quite a bit faster, a couple hours, 30% or so. Slot clearing was one of the things I wasn't sure about.  I'll post some pics of the final product. Thanks again! 

Message 6 of 7
Steinwerks

What's the machine and material? I suspect with some good feed and speed calculation the roughing could be dropped another 15-30%.
Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 7 of 7
tmodcustoms

It's aluminum, 6061,on a Tormach 1100. I'm using a new 5\8 ball EM so I'm not exactly sure ow hard I can push it yet. I used a different, new bit onthe last, opposing cone I did and I set the feed\speed a little high and played with the % throttle on the mill and I was able to run it up to about 75IPM , which was about 130% of my estimated F/S so it took quite a bit less time to complete. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report