Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to make a parametric cd holder. Help needed

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
JuanDAyalde
584 Views, 6 Replies

Trying to make a parametric cd holder. Help needed

The cd holer I am making is the center part that holds the CD by the middle hole. Imagine a PS1 or a Discman from back in the 2000's. It is a small piece that consists of a flat cylinder 2 mm tall, which will support the CD, and another one on top 4 mm tall with a 2mm chamfer. On the periphery of the chamfered cylinder there have to be some spherecal "bumbps". These "bumps" allow the CD to stay in place when insterted and the have to leave enough room for the CD's thickness which is 1.2 mm. Since this is a 3D printed part I need to make many adjustments which are mostly on the middle 4 mm tall cylinder's diameter. My question is how can I make the spheres dependent on the 4mm tall cylinder's dimensions so that the bumps are always on the face of the cylinder allowing me to not having to move them every iteration I make. I attach images that may help understand. Thanks for the help.

JuanDAyalde_0-1690501692986.png

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jhackney1972
in reply to: JuanDAyalde

You need to attach your model for the Forum users to help.  If you do not know how to attach your Fusion 360 model follow these easy steps. Open the model in Fusion 360, select the File menu, then Export and save as a F3D or F3Z file to your hard drive. Then use the Attachments section, of a forum post, to attach it.

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Beyond the Drafting Board

Message 3 of 7
JuanDAyalde
in reply to: jhackney1972

Done!

Message 4 of 7
jhackney1972

All you are asking for is to keep the 4 balls located, by their center, on the edger of the spindle diameter as you change this diameter.  This model will do that.  You have one Parameter in the Parameter table to change to make it work.  Model is attached.

By the way, avoid using Primitives (spheres in your case), as they cannot be used in dynamic parameter work.

Spindle Dia.jpg

"If you find my answer solved your question, please select the Accept Solution icon"

John Hackney
Retired

Message 5 of 7
JuanDAyalde

That is just what I needed John, thanks. May I ask how you did it? I am checking the file and I can see that you have a plane which I am assuming was used for the making of the sphere, using an arc and then a revolve...? How did you make the sphere be on the edge of the 4mm tall cylinder? Thanks in advance

Message 6 of 7
jhackney1972

After creating the Construction plane on the top edge of the spindle hub, I created a sketch on that plane.  Into this sketch I projected the hub diameter.  This sketch is linked to the hub diameter so it moves with the parameter change.  On the same sketch I added a circle bisected with a line which creates an accurate half arc profile which is then used to create a sphere using the Revolve command.  Last I patterned the spheres.

Since the center of the circles, for the spheres, is constrained to the projected circle, they move with the circle as the hub diameter changes.

If this fully answers you question, please select Accept Solution on my posts.  If you need further help please ask.

John Hackney
Retired

Message 7 of 7
JuanDAyalde
in reply to: jhackney1972

Thanks a lot John, you have been very helpful, and I have learned several things. First, that I can make a plane to make a sketch on it and also that I can project stuff on said plane to use as base for other sketches, in this case the 14 mm diameter projection/spheres. Cheers!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report