Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sweep a part in two directions but maintain specific feature

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
MileyCyrax
404 Views, 6 Replies

Sweep a part in two directions but maintain specific feature

Hi everyone. I am trying to create a model that is straight in the middle and curves forward as it reaches each end. I want the curve to be the same direction on each of the ends, and I want each end to be flat on the long edges, with a radius of 16.5mm on the ends. Please see attached images and F3D file. In both images, the right side is the way I want it, and the left side I can't figure out how to get the same. I used a workaround with filleting the left side to get it round but it's the wrong radius and it isn't flat on the edges, and the end isn't rounded off. I'm not sure if this makes sense. One thing I tried is flipping the arc I used as the path for the sweep but that causes the curvature  to be mirrored which is not what I want. Does anyone know how I can accomplish this? Thank you!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
hamid.sh.
in reply to: MileyCyrax

Something like this?

Sweep.png

I just mirrored your path and used it for the second Sweep.

By the way your sketches are not fully defined. I hope you're planning to do that after this test.

Hamid
Message 3 of 7
MileyCyrax
in reply to: hamid.sh.

Hi Hamid, thanks for the response. That is actually what I meant when I said I tried flipping the arc I used as the sweep path, but the curvature is mirrored rather than the same direction as the good side. See images for a better visual of what I mean. I want it to be flat on the long edges like yours, but with the curve going in the other direction. Does that make sense?

Message 4 of 7
davebYYPCU

Extrude > Cut the end off.

Fillet will provide a weird result because it goes down the outside profile.

cteodb.PNG

Might help.....

Message 5 of 7
MileyCyrax
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. That gets close, but I need the ends of those top and bottom edges to have the same circular 2.5mm radius, like in the image Hamid posted, but with the side curvature in the correct direction, like in yours. I've spent almost two weeks trying to figure it out and I'm really stumped.

Message 6 of 7
davebYYPCU

I did say that using fillet will give the odd result.  The odd result comes from the given geometry, however, what you’re looking for will be a Loft, 

ltcbd.PNG

Check the accuracy of Sketch 2 and 3, (guessing) conforms with your intent, if so, fully define all the sketches.

Might help.....

Message 7 of 7
MileyCyrax
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Looks like this is as close as I'm going to get it. I didn't think to use a surface loft to get the edge ready for that half circle loft. I tried messing with lofts in my testing but didn't come up with that. Good trick. Thanks for taking the time to help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report