Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck on using either contour or Lofted flange

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
terryHCEB7
216 Views, 5 Replies

Stuck on using either contour or Lofted flange

I have a small project that requires me to create a box enclosure with a rectangular donut to inset into a cabinet opening.

The donut is 11.5" T x 8.5 W with a .75" inset from the outer profile

From this I need to create a 'box' on the back face of the donut with only the top and bottom flanges created.

The back of the box is to be offset from the backside of the donut by 6.0" and is to be 8.5" T x 4.0" W

The top flange of the box is to be 90deg to the top inside edge of the donut.

The bottom flange of the box is to be angled to meet the bottom inside edge of the donut.

The sides of the box body will be separate to be welded on later.

See attached image for more detail.

Thanks in advance

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

@terryHCEB7 wrote:

See attached image for more detail.

@terryHCEB7 

Can you File>Export your *.f3d file of your attempt to your local drive and then Attach it here to a Reply?

(It doesn't have to be correct or finished.  You can use the standard tools rather than sheet metal for the mock-up example.)

Message 3 of 6
terryHCEB7
in reply to: terryHCEB7

I'll do my best to work something up as soon as possible.

People waiting on me for parts.

Gotta go thanks.

I began modeling up in Fusion, ended up laying it out manually to keep moving forward on the project.

Here's the model, the part I'm having challenges with is getting a flat pattern from the body enclosure.

I think I know why it's not allowing me generate a flat pattern, just not how to fix it so it will play nice with me.

I'm thinking its not recognizing the flanges as true 'flanges' and the edges are not perpendicular to the faces, resulting in slightly angled edged from the shell operation.

Message 4 of 6

@terryHCEB7 wrote:

I'm thinking its not recognizing the flanges as true 'flanges' and the edges are not perpendicular to the faces, resulting in slightly angled edged from the shell operation.

I didn't fix the other issues resulting from elimination of Shell feature - but I think you can figure it out from here.

You were very close to solution.

Make the ENCLOSURE the active component...

TheCADWhisperer_0-1660077846240.png

If your brake tooling will permit it and the Design Intent, the sides could have been in the same Flat Pattern sheet reducing the amount of welding required.

Thicken of Surface always results in perpendicular edges to the flat while Shell only works in limited cases.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAa6J0Pigp0&list=PLp5izJt_zvN29W2cEFHAK949eImc9xFOT&index=1

Message 5 of 6
Warmingup1953
in reply to: terryHCEB7

As a quick workaround I deleted all but the inner surface faces then thickened and converted to Sheet Metal Body then Flat Patterned.  flat.jpg

Message 6 of 6

Screenshot 2022-08-10 074113.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report