Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STL file import for sculpting edit?

173 REPLIES 173
SOLVED
Message 1 of 174
Anonymous
11182 Views, 173 Replies

STL file import for sculpting edit?

i have built a model in another design program and exported as stl, now i import stl into fusion,can i edit it using the sculpting workspace?

Capture.JPG

173 REPLIES 173
Message 61 of 174
PhilProcarioJr
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey Frank just thought I would share some possibilities of melding the Poly world with CAD. I'm not going to do anything else with this file as all my tests are done...time to delete but it was fun. The best part is all the CAD models will perfectly conform to the polygon model...oh well it was interesting. These renders are straight out of Fusion 360 by the way.

IMTest v5.png

IMTest v5.1.png

IMTest v5.2.png

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 62 of 174
Anonymous
in reply to: PhilProcarioJr

looks nice for wearable's , what was your workflow? ill give something like this a try for a collarbone assembly and a retractable helmet i want to make like this one i made years ago but never took it serious since i was not on fusion back then
Message 63 of 174
PhilProcarioJr

Hopefully this helps I could share the project if you want to take a look at the timeline too. Just let me know.

The more points you use on the splines the more it will conform to the polygon model, I just did a quick layout to show how its done.

video

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 64 of 174
Anonymous

You're the MAN! thanks for teaching me this technique Agent Phil lol
Message 65 of 174
PhilProcarioJr

Haha, I'm glad you like it and I hope you get a ton of use out of it.

I have some more tricks to share as soon as time permits.

I think you will like some of the other stuff even more.

Share some of your work I want to see what you do with it.

Cheers

Phil

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 66 of 174
Anonymous

nice well im always down to learn, this dog dont get too old for new tricks

Frank's Desig'Nature

"Designed Signature Inspired by Nature"
Message 67 of 174
PhilProcarioJr

Just a hint but I found a way to convert High poly obj models to solids fusion can work with that don't cause slowdown.

SkullParametric v1.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 68 of 174

Yeah, aaaannnd .....?

😉

EESignature

Message 69 of 174
Anonymous

how ?

Message 70 of 174
cekuhnen

solids are:

water tight

can be shelled

can be split into more water tight objects

can be send to the drawing engine to make technical drawings

can be used to calculate volumes

can be send to the physics engine to do stress tests

BUT

shelling a simple solid is easy, the more complex the more often Fusion will give you problems because it fails often when the result is not good enough

shelling makes perfect surface offsets and sometimes thats not possible

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 71 of 174
PhilProcarioJr

Sorry guys I'm at work so this will have to wait, but the gist is take your quad poly mesh and convert it to a sub-d model then to a NURBS model then export that as an igs file and open that in fusion. You get all the solid model goodness minus history. All my tests so far worked perfectly but I still want to do more tests before writing this up. The catch here is you need an app that can convert poly models to sud-d then sub-d to nurbs...I don't know if blender can do this so on the free side I don't know what your options are. Maybe TrippyLighting could test this out for me. Smiley Wink

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 72 of 174
Anonymous

one thing you left out is which model type im allow to do what you did in the video ? cuz im trying to do it and im sketching on the back ground plane not the actual model, in the video you had the bodies folder closed so i cant see what body types you was working with
Message 73 of 174
PhilProcarioJr

Sorry, I used the model that I converted to a b-rep from our last step. The same one I showed you how to cut a hole through. The one I said you can sketch on any face of the model.

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 74 of 174

Ran some more tests just to show this works, I cut the model up, added a hole with chamfers on each end and threaded it:

SkullParametric v2.png

SkullParametric v3.png

SkullParametric v4.png

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 75 of 174
Anonymous

ok well this is still a problem cuz i think i remember saying i cannot sketch on just any face i can only sketch on the shoulders
Message 76 of 174

No, Blender cannot convert subD to NURBS. I am assuming youused Maya for that ?

I remember that @cekuhnen has discussed that years ago in an article in the  Blender Art magazine.

Actually, while you can create NURBS surfaces in Blender, the development on more advanced NURBS features is pretty dormant and has not kept up with other areas.

EESignature

Message 77 of 174
PhilProcarioJr

@Anonymous

Something is wrong with that...can you make a short video showing me what your doing and how its not working?

@TrippyLighting

Yes I own Maya 8.5.....the key though is a NURBS surface exported as igs or iges, it has to be a nurbs surface or you will have a messed up model on import.....

Phil Procario Jr.

Message 78 of 174
Anonymous

yup jumping on that now,
Message 79 of 174
Anonymous

here you go i try to do two diff things and nothing but as you can seen near the end you only see the shoulder yellow and not black as the rest of the body so thats the only place i can sketch on not like you where you did both head and leg 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dn1lr5f0hu480to/grrr.wmv?dl=0

Message 80 of 174
PhilProcarioJr

I'm headed home in 3 min so I will have to ellaborate when I get home but did you see when each face and vertice highlighted? If you select a face there then create a sketch it will allow you to draw but I will have to explain better when I get home.

Phil Procario Jr.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report