Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split a 2D sketch to CNC plasma cut larger stock than my table?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
omamed
353 Views, 5 Replies

Split a 2D sketch to CNC plasma cut larger stock than my table?

I have a sketch that I would like to "split" or "break" into two separate sections so that I can cut the design on my CNC plasma table.  The table will handle about 24" and the design is 48".  How do I take the sketch, cut it in half and then create G-code to cut each section, by moving the stock on the table.  I know I need to do some work to make sure things line up after the move, but can't seem to get my sketch cut in half so I can "manufacture" each half as separate cuts?  Is there a tutorial I can see, or an article that I missed?  Thanks for your help. 

Labels (3)
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jeff_strater
in reply to: omamed

up front:  I am not a CAM guy, so I can only address the sketch part of this.  If you need to split a sketch into two, there are a few ways to do it.  First, there is the "Break" command in sketch - draw a line where you want the break to happen, and then, for any curves which cross that line, use this command to split them in two.  Then, you should have clean "halves" to your sketch.  Then, since you may want to keep the original all as one sketch, I would create 2 new sketches.  In each, project the curves from one half of the original sketch.  Then, turn off the visibility of the original, and use the two 'half sketches' to drive your CNC g-code.  If you want to share a sample design, I can illustrate.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 6
etfrench
in reply to: jeff_strater

Here's another method.  Note: You can also do this in the Surface workspace which may work better for a plasma cutter.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 4 of 6
omamed
in reply to: omamed

Both answers helped me a great deal!  Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I think I can now proceed!  

Message 5 of 6
jasonzebedee
in reply to: etfrench

hey your video i didnt get any sound from, can you send it to me? it looked exactly what i needed   thanks

Message 6 of 6
etfrench
in reply to: jasonzebedee

Your in luck because all of the information you need is already in the video.  The lower part of the video shows each command and which dialog is open.  Just slow the video down and pause it at each point of interest.

p.s. I don't have a copy of it and didn't record sound when it was made.

ETFrench

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report