Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to slow down a motion study?

31 REPLIES 31
Message 1 of 32
matt
3619 Views, 31 Replies

How to slow down a motion study?

I'm experimenting with a motion study, but even with the slider all the way to the left, it's still way too fast.

Is there a preference somewhere that I can set?

I'd also like more than 100 frames.  Any way to do that?

-Matt 

31 REPLIES 31
Message 2 of 32
jeff_strater
in reply to: matt

Today, unfortunately, no, you can't do either of those. However, those are both good ideas, you should add them to the idea station, if they don't already exist.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 32

So hows it going with that? I have the same problem, its way to fast and more frames would be great. Please make motion studies more flexible. 

Message 4 of 32
drewrt
in reply to: anders.mclean

Yes, it would be good to have more speed ranges available, and more than 100 points

Message 5 of 32
grayed

A year and a half later, I have the same question -- HOW do you slow down animations?  I found an Autodesk "tutorial" that said "Just go down to the animation timeline...."  And my screen looks nothing like his.  Where is this thing?  How do you turn it on?  SO MANY of the tutorials are like this, skipping huge steps and totally useless to me.

Message 6 of 32
msorsdal

It is a shame they are not making a proper motion study function. I found a really stupid bug in it to. If you use a rotation joint in the timeline, it is selected, and then you drag the window smaller - all the angle values that are put in are all messed up. Dragging the motion study window to a different x y aspect, affects the input values. What is that all about? 

Message 7 of 32
Anonymous

It's almost as if they're intentionally not doing anything to improve the quality of animations. By now it should be clear that they do not want to improve these areas to a standard that is competitive, like they're intentionally dumbing it down to make room for their other software packages or something. I mean it really can't take several years adding the option to increase the number of steps or frames and make it possible to do local rendering of proper frame rate animations.

Message 8 of 32
msorsdal
in reply to: Anonymous

The thing is that they want to sell 3DS-Max or Maya. I don't have time to learn those... just want to get stuff done, and I don't mean Hollywood quality, but better than Pacman at least.
Message 9 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: msorsdal

Same here man... I'm just trying to do some half decent animations for a website, I even have access to 3DStudio MAX but I don't wanna get into yet another software package... Furthermore if I were to go the 3DS way I'd have to set up scene, add apperances, lighting, etc. all over again, and that's just not gonna happen, I already did that once going from Inventor to Fusion 360 to do the rendering.

I saw someone mentioning a keyshot plugin, but again it seems like you're forced to reapply appearances etc. all over in that, and additionally it of course has a price that isn't insignificant.

Message 10 of 32
nibbleshrew

The last and only staff reply to this issue was in 2016 and here in 2021 it's still an issue.

Please replace the Motion Study speed slider with a simple input field that takes steps per second. A slider with fixed endpoints that provides no metric yet appears to vary between 60 steps second and 1,000,000 steps second isn't all that useful.

This is CAD, where's the numerical metric for precise control.

Message 11 of 32
SavedByTheLamb

That is ridiculous... That they haven't fixed this years ago >.<

Message 12 of 32
jeff_strater

Once again, length of time a request has been submitted has nothing to do with prioritization.  That depends on usage, strategic priorities, etc.  In all honesty, this one is just not that high on the list, sorry.

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 13 of 32
msorsdal
in reply to: jeff_strater

Well, (in all honesty) it’s a shame Autodesk don’t fix simple stuff that annoys the hell out of People, instead of adding more functionality. Get the basics sorted first!

Message 14 of 32
Anonymous
in reply to: msorsdal

Exactly, I definitely would say that it's the small things that really piss me off mostly because that's what you're exposed to constantly when using the software. Not the lack of features, although there are some quite important ones I'm still missing such as revision tables in drawings...

Yet one would think that a company as big as Autodesk would have the resources to get a few more teams pounding away on this software so they could accelerate the development of it. It might be there's a big team already, I don't know, but it doesn't sound like it if things has to happen in succession rather than in parallel.

Message 15 of 32

You can do this in Autodesk Inventor Professional - Dynamic Simulation Environment.

Could do this years ago - before Fusion even existed.

Imagine purchasing a new CAD (Apple iPhone or Tesla car) that couldn't do what the old CAD (phone, car) did years ago.

Design differently!

Message 16 of 32
gamelife4dns

I agree with those complaining.

There are 2 kinds of checkouts on supermarkets : a few fast lines for those who buy few items, and the regular lines for the others with a full caddy. No one is frustrated, the result is improved customer's loyalty.

I'm an IT developer and my department apply a similar approach. Project items are prioritized from P0 to P3. To avoid P3 items to almost never be done, we have to solve at least 1 every 10 items. That way all items are progressing, slowly but surely for P3.

Same should be suggested here. AD managers, do you ear ? 😉

Message 17 of 32
awilliamwright

This is only one of dozens of issues that I've come across, come to the forums, and seen that there's no intention of ever fixing it. But count your blessings, because sometimes when they DO fix something, they end up breaking other things. The July update had major improvements to the different mesh workspaces...but they were so extensive that they destroyed many of my previous projects (because Fusion files are a living timeline, and my previous commands no longer worked with the new workflows).

So...it may be best to just find a workaround or figure out how to do the thing you want in free software like Blender. Control what you can, you know?

For me, I'm going to import fbx's of the bodies into Unreal and play around with animations there.

Message 18 of 32
kontakt

Really frustrating that such small things do not get better in more than 5 years.

How many developer hours would be necessary for this?

I'd totally prefer getting the old and annoying issues whith basic features fixxed before anything new.

Message 19 of 32
martin.murbach

Just came across this issue. 
Really sad, it seems like a really simple improvement pending since 2016 ?!

Message 20 of 32
awilliams8MYBG

2022 and here in the same boat, trying to render some product part explosion videos....

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report