Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scale 1 face of a body?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
15617 Views, 5 Replies

Scale 1 face of a body?

Hi

I am trying to scale one face of a body, to create a taper between top and bottom. However each time I active the scale function, it selects the whole body?

Is there a way of doing this within Fusion?

Thanks

Anton

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jodom4
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey anton.zdziebczok, welcome!

You can definitely make tapered geometry, but the scale tool doesn't work that way. Here's a video on the Draft Angle tool, which will probably solve your problem:

Jonathan Odom
Community Manager + Content Creator
Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jodom4

Jonathan

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for, I did try the draft tool previously, but I hadn't understood the importance of the pivot plane correctly, so thanks for this! I am coming from Google Sketch-Up so these commands & tools are totally different!

I have stumbled across my next issue though...

Having created two shapes, I want to re-engineer a section to have a slight tilt to it. In Sketch-Up I could simply move the end face on the vertical axis to create a "bend", but that method doesn't seem to work in Fusion. I don't want to use the sweep feature as the component/body already exists, and the section already has a taper on the side.

The section currently looks like this...

Current.png

These blue lines represent what I am trying to create...

end result.png

Sorry to ask so many probably silly questions!

Thanks

Anton

Message 4 of 6
davebYYPCU
in reply to: Anonymous

If two bodies, then Move Tool and rotate from top face.,

If one body, use Split body at Hinge position, and then Move Tool, then Combine join them 

there are other ways to make the shape. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: davebYYPCU

Dave

Thanks for these suggestions. It gets me part of the way to the desired outcome, but not all the way!

It is already two seperate bodies, when I rotate the section to be turned down, it creates the desired effect, but as expected, leaves a gap at the top where the component has pivoted around the bottom access as per the below image.

current result.png

I have tried to fill this gap with various different tools in the patch space, but don't seem to be able to create the correct gap.

Any thoughts on how to close this gap?

Thanks

Message 6 of 6
irndolf
in reply to: jodom4

Hey Jodom4,

Have you tried doing it in a complicated 3D Model?  I tried using tapered with this shape and its taking way to long and scale function doesn't work well with this. I find that the Scale is only good for Solid Components. Are there any other way I can do a tapered side with this type of plane?

irndolf_0-1718810736095.png

I hope you can help me @jodom4 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report