Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Round Fillet Corners - Cannot Sketch Fillet and Sweep

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
M&GToolWorks
2281 Views, 17 Replies

Round Fillet Corners - Cannot Sketch Fillet and Sweep

I have tried to do some research through google and on the forum for this, but I cannot seem to figure out how to do what I want to do. First, due to the nature of the part, and its complexity, there is no way to sketch fillets and sweep the part to get rounded fillet corners. Second, *ideally* it would be nice if the fillets flowed into one another. 

The example I have posted below is a quick mock up of the part just so you can see basically the issue. Instead of having a sharp edge at the meeting of the two fillets, I would like a rounded edge. 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
mavigogun
in reply to: M>oolWorks

@M&GToolWorks wrote:

First, due to the nature of the part, and its complexity, there is no way to sketch fillets and sweep the part to get rounded fillet corners.

No way? There are a bunch of ways to tackle the shape- I can imagine one employing Sweep.   Or Loft.   Or Press Pull and a sphere.

Second, *ideally* it would be nice if the fillets flowed into one another.

What's stopping you? Just add a Fillet to the edge where they meet.   Of course, if you want the corner rounded, the Edge that feeds into the corner will be rounded.Seamless.JPG

Message 3 of 18
M&GToolWorks
in reply to: mavigogun

Fusion does not allow me to select the edge.... hence the question! 

Message 4 of 18
mavigogun

@M&GToolWorks wrote:

Fusion does not allow me to select the edge.... hence the question! 

That is inexplicable.    If you will record a screencast of your workflow, that might be a great help.      It's a free Autodesk product- find it here:

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast

Message 5 of 18
M&GToolWorks

It doesn't seem inexplicable, looking at your picture you were not able to select the edge either? 

Made up the video you requested: 

https://autode.sk/2zx6BK1

Message 6 of 18
mavigogun

@M&GToolWorks wrote:

It doesn't seem inexplicable, looking at your picture you were not able to select the edge either?

Thanks for the video.    You selected the Edge repeatedly in your demonstration- it highlights in blue and a control arrow is attached to it; you'll then have to enter a value or manually modify the arrow position to produce a Fillet.   The image I included above includes a Fillet applied to one of what I understand to be the subject Edges.
RightHereDude.pngNoseOnFace.png

Message 7 of 18
M&GToolWorks

Not once was I able to select the edge, hence the repeated attempts. 

Please, do not respond any further, it is obvious you do not wish to help, or you would rather play some esoteric game of semantics that I neither wish to, nor have time to, play with you. 

If anyone else is either able to speak in a manner that is helpful, or give actual input in regards to the question, that would be much appreciated. 

Message 8 of 18
mavigogun

@M&GToolWorks wrote:

Please, do not respond any further, it is obvious you do not wish to help, or you would rather play some esoteric game of semantics that I neither wish to, nor have time to, play with you. 

Your presumption of ill will is ill considered and unjustified, Nathaniel.    You'll find more often than not differences in perception are the culprit.    I've amended the above post with additional illustrations to help bridge that gap.    I understand your frustration- but lament the incivility.    We all fall down, sometimes- no big deal.

-Christopher

Message 9 of 18
mavigogun

...and a Screencast of your Screencast to make the selection unmistakably, explicitly clear:

Message 10 of 18
HughesTooling

I think @M&GToolWorks wants to maintain a sharp corner for the vertical edge and just blend the 2 fillets. I'm not sure what that would look like or is even possible, if you add a small 0.0001 rad to the vertical edge you can get this but you only get an option for a setback fillet.

test.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 18
PhilProcarioJr

@M&GToolWorks

Is this what your after?

Untitled.png

Phil Procario Jr.
Owner, Laser & CNC Creations

Message 12 of 18
mavigogun
in reply to: HughesTooling

Double Post

Message 13 of 18
mavigogun

@HughesTooling wrote:

I'm not sure what that would look like or is even possible, if you add a small 0.0001 rad to the vertical edge you can get this but you only get an option for a setback fillet.

Very nice, Mark; your results resemble what might be had with a Replace Face.    I had to work the Fillet on both sides of the Body to get your results.   Hey, what characterizes a "setback fillet", anyway? -what distinguishes it from a Rolling Ball? 

Another way to tackle it without the slight edge rounding would be to select the second small Line segment from the top of the Fillet and apply a Variable Fillet- shown here going from zero to .029 at the top:

Variable.JPGSelected.JPG

Message 14 of 18
HughesTooling

@mavigogun See attached file. You need to do all fillets in one feature to generate a setback fillet on corners with more than 2 fillets meeting.

The file has 3 components. One how to blend and keep a sharp vertical corner with equal fillet rads, just did this one as a practice. Second one used unequal rads, looks pretty ugly. last version is using a fillet set filleting all edges in one go.

test.png

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 15 of 18
mavigogun

Thanks, Mark- I just fumbled my way through the operation a few minutes ago, now reading your post!   Still, if you hadn't shown it was possible, I wouldn't have tried.   Examining your new examples now.   Thanks again!

Message 16 of 18
mavigogun

@HughesTooling, Mark, as you illustrate, Fillet order can yield radically different results.    Check out this image, in which the Edge of the Red Faces have been drawn across the concave Blue Fillet and over the Convex Green Fillet.   Wild, huh?

Drawn Ege.JPG

Message 17 of 18

Adding a .01mm fillet to the front edge while creating all 3 gives me the result I want. Thank you. 

Message 18 of 18
HughesTooling

@mavigogun wrote:

@HughesTooling wrote:

I'm not sure what that would look like or is even possible, if you add a small 0.0001 rad to the vertical edge you can get this but you only get an option for a setback fillet.

Hey, what characterizes a "setback fillet", anyway? -what distinguishes it from a Rolling Ball? 

@mavigogun Setback fillets have 2 uses I  think. One to allow patching\filleting a corner where 3 or edges come together especially with different rads and second just for appearance.

There quite a good thread here on the Rhino forum discussing filleting edges on high quality consumer produces where simple G1 fillets are not good enough. Pascals' first couple of answers explain quite well. Here's another thread worth a look on multi blend corners.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report