Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rectangle with Round Corners?

46 REPLIES 46
SOLVED
Message 1 of 47
Anonymous
77940 Views, 46 Replies

Rectangle with Round Corners?

VERY new to F360 ( and design in general ) and am about to pull my hair out.

I am trying to model a very simple makeup case cover for my daughter.  It is a very basic rectangle with rounded corners.  However:

The corners at the bottom of the rectangle are much more rounded than the corners at the top.  It is actually this cheap case:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FMTAwMFg0OTc%3D%2Fz%2F0KsAA...

I have been searching for about 30 minutes now just create a rounded corner and am utterly lost.  Any help would be much appreciated!

46 REPLIES 46
Message 21 of 47
CLmoss
in reply to: cekuhnen

What you say makes me think that using Sketch to create a component is a very bad idea.   I use MODEL or SHEET METAL myself. I believe some call this Direct Modeling. 

Regarding sending the design to a Sheet Metal shop, I send out STEP files along with Drawing PDF files.  These are much better at showing things such as countersunk holes and PEM nuts.  I might even send a screen capture stored in Photoshop that I then dimension in Photoshop.  None of the 16 Sheet Metal shops I went out to for quotes with have even heard of Fusion, let alone use it. They are all using Solidworks.  They want me to send STEP files based on Sheet Metal and dimensioned PDF files. 

Jim 

Message 22 of 47
cekuhnen
in reply to: CLmoss

@CLmoss

sketches no matter what are a crucial first step when creating solids or surfaces.

sheetmetal can be different because you mainly deal with pretty simply boxy forms and for that sheetmetal extrudes flanges as needed.

the reason why the shops you went to might not know Fusion is

maybe because Fusion is pretty new and just released their first version of sheet metal which logically is not at the same level as

sheet metal tools like in SW that were developed for a much longer time.

so fusion is new - it will take time for it to penetrate the market

other reason can also be because how people are invested in their software and do not look for other options.

SW is not cheap and when their system runs why change ...

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 23 of 47
TrippyLighting

The Model workspace by default enables the timeline or parametric modeling. You'd have to turn int off to be able to direct model. However, even in direct modeling you'd start with a sketch as the basic outline of your 3D geometry. However, as opposed to parametric modeling (with the timeline) after you have created the geometry, the sketch is not linked to that geometry anymore.

The primitives in Fusion 360 arealso based on sketches. In timeline mode you only see that sketch when you are editing that primitive and only have one item in the timeline for the primitive.

In direct modeling mode, the sketch is discarded automatically after generation of the 3D geometry.

EESignature

Message 24 of 47
CLmoss

"sketches no matter what are a crucial first step when creating solids or surfaces. sheet metal can be different because you mainly deal with pretty simply boxy forms and for that sheet metal extrudes flanges as needed."

What I am making is a 3U 19" Rackmount enclosure.  That's it!  There are 10 components all together that make up this enclosure. 

With that in mind, don't I secure the design by using a STEP file to work with the sheet metal shops?  Is this not the same, in function, as constraining the sketches?  A STEP file has no links to the original design files.  Yet, the STEP file can be loaded into SW and flattened.  The files these shops use to fabricate the parts are DXF files.  They produce these in SW from the STEP files.  They then load the DXF files into software like Metal Soft of US amada's Vs AP100. It is these packages that actually control the machines.  

Jim

Black-Panel_SM_01.jpg

FUSION-SHEET-METAL.jpg

Message 25 of 47
TrippyLighting

We've now totally captured and hijacked another person's thread who might not interested at all in sheet metal design. I thought I'd mention it 😉

EESignature

Message 26 of 47
CLmoss
in reply to: TrippyLighting

Oh, I don't know.  A lot of these issues are related.  I have solids in my design too, but constraining designs is an important issue.  I would like to hear comments my last email on STEP files.  The issue is locking down a design when it is being sent to production, right?  Well...  

Message 27 of 47
CLmoss
in reply to: jeff_strater

When I wanted rounded edges on a cover.  I never went to sketch.  I was already in MODEL with Solids.  I captured all 4 corners at one time using Shift Key.  Then with the same settings I applied the same Fillet.  This assures that all 4 corners are the same. 

4CORNERS_01a.jpg

4CORNERS_01b.jpg

Message 28 of 47
cekuhnen

@CLmoss Hey make a new thread for the sheet email questions you have !

Claas Kuhnen

Message 29 of 47
CLmoss

"cekuhnen, Hey make a new thread for the sheet email questions you have !"

NO!   I am on topic and feel my comments are 100% appropriate. Where do you get off being rude, dude?  The above cover explanation of mine is on a SOLID object, as in, NOT Sheet Metal.  I went to the first post and added my comments to that post.  This is no place to become confrontational.  In fact, as I look at your posts, no one asked you to join in either.  I was commenting on what the great Jeff Strater said.  

Open up a can of good manners man.  (definition:  polite or well-bred social behavior)  What an attitude...  Keep your bossey commands confined to your classroom, spud. 

Jim

IMG_5517ss.jpg 

Message 30 of 47
cekuhnen

@CLmoss

The original creator of this thread is dealing with a different topic and you particularly focus on sheet metal.

Logically it makes sense then to as Peter also mentioned to not hijack somebody else thread any further

and create your own thread that has the benefit separating the two (even if related - everything in cad is related)

topics and providing more exposure to your questions by stating it clearly in the thread title.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 31 of 47
CLmoss

I think both you and Pweter need to re-read the original post.  You two are ones hijacking the thread.  Learn to get along.  You and Pweter can sing in harmony about hijacking this thread, but I am not going anywhere.   Now, read the original post, here it is:

-----------------------------

"VERY new to F360 ( and design in general ) and am about to pull my hair out.  I am trying to model a very simple makeup case cover for my daughter.  It is a very basic rectangle with rounded corners.  However: The corners at the bottom of the rectangle are much more rounded than the corners at the top.  It is actually this cheap case:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FMTAwMFg0OTc%3D%2Fz%2F0KsAA...

I have been searching for about 30 minutes now just create a rounded corner and am utterly lost.  Any help would be much appreciated!"

-----------------------------

Now, did you hear what he said?  "It is a very basic rectangle with rounded corners."

Frankly I can relate to this guy's feelings of wanting to pull his hair out. Nowhere did he say anything about fully constrain and dimensions.  Nope, you hijacked Jeff's comments, then tried to run me off for talking about the issues of constraining and dimensioning.  How in the heck did you know that he didn't want to make this out of sheet metal anyway?   It was only when he mentioned his othermill that we knew for sure.  Lets face it, you are all about using Sketch.  Sketch Junkies.  You show a condescending attitude towards anyone using Sheet Metal or DIRECT MODELING.   In my last example post I added information as to how you might approach the Fillets with all 4 angles in one command.  

Learn some manners and never, ever, try to bully me buckwheat.  

Jim

Message 32 of 47
cekuhnen

@CLmoss

Maybe it might be good for you to read the forum etiquette section at:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/notice-community-etiquette-and-ground-rule...

The main reason why we suggested you to make your own thread besides being polite is also for you to get better and more directed help

as it is you who does not even understand the basics of what a constraint sketch is.

You might want to ask yourself if attacking people is a good idea when they give answers to your beginner level question.

I don't really understand the argument for constraining a drawing.

I don't know what you mean by "Fusion uses a solver and thus the sketch is like a house of cards".

Please explain

@BrettWright maybe you could help @CLmoss here understanding the situation.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 33 of 47
CLmoss

You need to read the forum etiquette section because when I read it, I didn't see anything that suggested that it was a good idea to run people off of a thread for any reason let alone because you though they were beginners.  You are the one who is out of line here.  

You seem to think that a thread that you were not invited to, just like the rest of us, is one where you can run people off and make comments about being a beginner.  It is like you have a problem with people who ask questions.  Well, I don't know you from Adam. I just know that when I want to ask a question, I do it.  You see, that is how we do it here in the Silicon Valley.  We never stop asking questions and we never stop learning.  Not to mention that you have this thing about Sheet Metal.  

I know... I know...  maybe you should call up Autodesk and tell them that YOU think that this form should only be for the EXPERIENCED PEOPLE.  They would love that in Marketing.  Tell them that you have a problem being around people who ask what you think are beginner questions. Are you serious?  I think you are a little confused.  It was not YOU who asked the original question.  This is a forum.  If you want privacy, go get a room.   Because this is a public learning forum.  

And I might add that 

I don't really understand the argument for constraining a drawing when you are using STEP files and dimensioned drawings in PDF format to communicate with the metal shop. I also don't know what you mean by "Fusion uses a solver and thus the sketch is like a house of cards". I have not had any problems.  Maybe I should know more about it.  Maybe it is for special cases.  At least Peter is trying to answer my question.  The guy who asked the original question was a admitted beginner.  That is what this forum is about... LEARNING!

Jim

Message 34 of 47
laughingcreek

FWIW-This is what the OP was looking to make.

Just sayin.

hello kitty.jpg

Message 35 of 47
CLmoss
in reply to: laughingcreek

Well, it doesn't matter what he was intending to make.  It is his first project.  Not all of us start out in High Energy Physics.  It is just a project.  Answers to his questions will help him when he gets around to it. 

Message 36 of 47
cekuhnen

@CLmoss

You questions specifically are regarding sheet metal.

The creator of this thread as posted if looking into solid modeling something non-sheet metal

mainly rebuilding a plastic injection molded box which I am quiet sure he will 3D print for his daughter.

If you perceive experiences users here who suggest making your own so people here can faster find your thread

and help you as an attack on you or as you stated forcing you out of this thread, then maybe you might want consider your own attitude.

Quite frankly you are the first person on this forum that attacks after we tried to help.

Particularly when you do not know the subjects in depth you are talking and asking about then even more should

you listen and learn and not complain in an irrational way.

Yes the questions you posted are bigger questions.
You do not understand the relationship between sketch and modeling (sheet metal included) which illustrates that you are not familiar with the design process

including also not being familiar with the deliverable such as the design in a native CAD app or exported into STEP for various reasons.

Asking such questions is not a problem - and no one complained about it you asking them. That is why we gave you lengthy informative answers.

But because you also lack so many understandings it was suggested to create you own thread where your particular needs can be addressed.

You however react being attacked when answers are giving to you questions which is not only illogical but also arrogant.

You have no ownership of the thread the original user created by the way.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 37 of 47
cekuhnen

@CLmoss

"Well, it doesn't matter what he was intending to make.  It is his first project.  Not all of us start out in High Energy Physics.  It is just a project.  Answers to his questions will help him when he gets around to it. "

It totally matters - who are you to judge that? This is not even your thread!

Claas Kuhnen

Message 38 of 47
Discussion_Admin

Everyone,

Please remember these are professional forums and as such deserve a professional decorum when participating.

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

FYI

Message 39 of 47
CLmoss

After reading your bio I can understand your take on Fusion 360.  

"Claas Kuhnen is a German designer with strong interdisciplinary skills bridging product, graphic, and jewelry design"

I mean, a jewelry designer doing what you say you are doing, in your bio, is used to freehand drawing.  My girlfriend does that kind of thing.  She is an illustrator.  

However, it is not required for what WE electronic product designers require, generally speaking.   While product appearance is very important, it is only a fraction of the required form and function.  We are not obsessed with starting with a freehand sketch as you are. Although, I did start out with my conceptuals using Adobe illustrator.  With that I could conduct Focus Groups on the look.  

As for the CNC SOLID or Sheet Metal shops go, we have contract law to protect us against nonconformance variations from the delivered STEP files and dimensioned PDF files.  We (electronic product designers) also have final approval of any design modifications before production.  We have QA to reject any production that does not meet our specs.  This applies to both Solid and Sheet Metal designs.  While you are swimming around with your poor English and your pencil, we who have been involved with real life manufacturing and vendors have other ways of covering our efforts.  

As far as my being a beginner, it is true.  I am a beginner to CAD.  However, my first products were high power linear amplifiers that I produced for the bootleg broadcasters back when I was 10  years old in 1962.  We had to use pencils and paper back then.  Later when I was published by IEEE at Stanford, I again used pencils and drafting paper.  CAD systems at that time where very large and managed by the very slow and overwhelmed CAD department.  Their computers where the size of 3 refrigerators. The work station was the size of a Airline Jet Simulator.  When I designed the head module for the first CCD Endoscope in 1984 for FUJI OPTICAL, I did use pencils and drafting paper.  Think about that the next time you get a colonoscopy.   In fact, all the people I trained from 1974 to 1989 used pencils and drafting paper.  The industry at that time used pencils and drafting paper. The parts I designed for the Space Shuttle were designed using pencils and drafting paper.  

So, yeah I have only been using Fusion since January 2017.  I like to see solids right off the bat. No sketches.  I do use sketch a lot on solid components to place countersunk screw holes and such, but I don't start with them.  Many do not.  We like Direct Modeling.  

But... If I ever decide to design jewelry, I will think about starting with Freehand Sketches. 

Jim 

Message 40 of 47
CLmoss
in reply to: Discussion_Admin

I agree.  I didn't see your post until I finished my very dignified and respectful post. 

I too do not like Cyberbullying.  I was taken by surprise when I came up against it in this thread. 

Jim

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report