Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to cut spiral groove/slot in cylinder?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
barkster
4499 Views, 9 Replies

How to cut spiral groove/slot in cylinder?

I am trying to draw this part up in fusion but I cannot figure out how to achieve it.  I swept a path along the cylinder with a twist which is pretty close to what I want but now I can't figure out how to cut the groove.  Any help would be appreciated. 

TB29upIaKJ8puFjy1XbXXagqVXa_!!738665313 (1).jpgScreenshot 2021-12-28 144907.jpg

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
laughingcreek
in reply to: barkster

here's 1 approach

Message 3 of 10
barkster

Thanks for the response, the only thing I see is the slot has some weird geometry that isn't perpendicular to the cylinder. I like your approach, I never use the thicken tool.  The only way I have seen someone do it was using sheet metal and the rolling into cylinder but that just seems like a ton of work.

sweep.jpg

Message 4 of 10
barkster

Here is how I did it with sheet metal but I don't like this way but I think the geometry is corret.

Message 5 of 10
TheCADWhisperer

The Cam Generator Design Accelerator creates groove type cylindrical cams. We have to use a bit of a trick to generate a push/pull cam. Link to files. https://a360.co/2Bty7x3 Password - Subscribe
Message 6 of 10
barkster

thanks I had watched your video to learn how to do it with sheet metal.  I guess that's the only way to go for correct geometry.

Message 7 of 10
TheCADWhisperer

@barkster wrote:

I guess that's the only way to go for correct geometry.

Autodesk Inventor Professional - Solid Sweep Cut or Cam Design Accelerator are other options.

Message 8 of 10
KristianLaholm

Too me the geometry in your files doesn't look correct, 
I think if you where following TheCADWhisperer's excellent video you need to watch the video again.

The workflow from laughingcreek works if you need a "straight" helix cam-slot.

The faces of the slot must be parallell for the pin to slide freely.
cylpin.jpg

In the file attached I followed the workflow from laughingcreek and added a TestPin.

You can drive the Pin joint to different positions and check the geometry with Inspect -> Interference and Inspect -> Section Analysis.

Message 9 of 10
mango.freund

hello, take a look.  greetings mango

2021-12-29_19-36-29.png

Message 10 of 10
barkster

I had asked this guy that I follow on youtube how to do this and this was his response.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvL005L1xDc&ab_channel=Fusion360School

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report