Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with designing a rocket nose cone with Von Karman characteristics

22 REPLIES 22
SOLVED
Message 1 of 23
bry0603
3869 Views, 22 Replies

Help with designing a rocket nose cone with Von Karman characteristics

Hello,

I am new to Fusion 360 but have been slowly learning different techniques.  It's great.  My next objective is to find out how to create more complicated conical shapes such as rocket nosecones that have different characteristics.  I'd like to start by making a nose cone with Von Karman profile.  Can anyone help get me started with this?  I can easily make a simple cone but that is about as far as I have been.

Thanks in advance!

Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 2.34.35 PM.png

22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: bry0603

@bry0603 wrote:

I'd like to start by making a nose cone with Von Karman profile.  Can anyone help get me started with this?. 

What formula would you like to start with?

Message 3 of 23
davebYYPCU

Sketch an ellipse, trim to keep one quarter and revolve.

if you have a 3point curve, use the sketch spline snapped to the three points.

Formula based - you can use User Parameters.

Might help....

Message 4 of 23
bry0603
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

I'm having a difficult time just cutting and pasting the formula but here it is in picture form:  I would like a VK series so we would use C=O, R=15 and L=150. Does this help?  Thanks so much for the help!

Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 5.38.58 PM.png

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous

Hey @bry0603 although I am not the resident expert here, two plugins immediately come to mind: Fusion Sheeter and SwiftCalcs.  @prainsberry created Sheeter to link design parameters with Google sheets.  I think it might do the trick here, with Sheets doing the heavy lifting on the math heavy side to generate x-y coordinates to drive your loft or revolve.  Check out his work here.  If that doesn't work you might consider SwiftCalcs, super cool plugin very similar to the likes of MathCAD.  I haven't used either tool extensively but could be worth looking into.

Message 6 of 23
bry0603
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks @Anonymous.  I have installed the plugin, made a spreadsheet that can generate the x and y coordinates for the 2D nose cone but I can't get much further than that.  I will have to reach out to the maker of that plugin and watch some tutorial vids tomorrow but I'll plug away on this and report back. 

Open to other ideas as well.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 23
bry0603

Here is where I am with the Sheeter addin.  Not very far at all!  I have the coordinates for 1/2 of the 2D nose cone.  I am hoping to get a sketch using those and then revolve.  @prainsberry do you have any suggestions on where to go from here?  Thanks in advance.

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 10.08.07 AM.png

Message 8 of 23
TheCADWhisperer

Do the coordinates in your spreadsheet make logical sense?

Message 9 of 23
bry0603

I think they do NOW.  The resolution isn't quite what I want but should work for this experiment.

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 10.22.52 AM.png

Message 10 of 23
TheCADWhisperer

@bry0603 wrote:

I think they do NOW.  The resolution isn't quite what I want but should work for this experiment. 

I think that you might find that fewer points return better curve than more points.

Can you zip and attach your spreadsheet here - I would like to experiment a bit, but not motivated enough to build it (the spreadsheet) myself.

Message 11 of 23
bry0603

Does this work for you?

Message 12 of 23
prainsberry

Hey actually i don't think this is a good use case for Sheeter.  There is a script that will import XY coordinates and fit a spline.  I believe it is in the app store.

Patrick Rainsberry
Developer Advocate, Fusion 360
Message 13 of 23
bry0603
in reply to: prainsberry

@prainsberrythanks for your input.

Message 14 of 23
HughesTooling

ImportSplineCSV is supplied with Fusion, just click Add-Ins on the toolbar. I think it needs XYZ coordinates so just add a column of zeros.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 15 of 23
bry0603
in reply to: HughesTooling

@HughesTooling wrote:

ImportSplineCSV is supplied with Fusion, just click Add-Ins on the toolbar. I think it needs XYZ coordinates so just add a column of zeros.

Mark

Eureka!  That did it.  For some reason I had to divide all my values by 10 to get it to scale and import correctly but we made some progress there!  I used the ImportSplineCSV to get my main spline line and then built the inner line to spec or close enough and then just used revolve.  Awesome!  Thank you!

Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 2.52.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-06-05 at 2.51.13 PM.png

Message 16 of 23
chrisplyler

I manually drew out to 75mm, then got tired of the monotony...

nosecone.jpg

Message 17 of 23

Please check the curvature on that spline!

EESignature

Message 18 of 23

I already closed the file without saving, and I'm not drawing it again. You're wife told me you've got too much curvature on YOUR spline.

Message 19 of 23
HughesTooling

@bry0603 You could have created a solid cone then used a shell feature to make it hollow or did you want a nonuniform thickness?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 20 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

@bry0603 I found sheeter to be a great option.  My f3d file and screencast are attached. If possible I will share the Google Sheets directly, send me an email at Ricky.Huff@synapse.com and I can link you to it.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report