Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filling a complex spherical hole

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jeff.a.longo
362 Views, 7 Replies

Filling a complex spherical hole

I have this model of a controller imported as a STEP file. I would like to fill in the joystick opening (essentially, complete the sphere) shown below.  I've taken a few different approaches that have been unsuccessful.

jeffalongo_2-1647240179280.png

I tried using the "patch" surface feature. This seems to work pretty well in that it completes the shape that I want. 
jeffalongo_3-1647240200614.png

Now the problem I'm having is joining these two bodies, the controller and the patch, into one unified body. I first tried using the thicken option on the patch surface to give it the right depth then using the body join feature. This fails because there isn't a clear overlap. I then tried unstitching the controller, then stitching the patch + controller back together. The restitching always fails because of how the patch aligns with the joystick opening, even if I increase the tolerance to the maximum. I can never get the restitching to return a solid body.

Any tips on how I can complete this operation? I've attached the .f3d file.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
hamid.sh.
in reply to: jeff.a.longo

I simply deleted some faces, patched and stitched:

Delete and patch.png

File is attached.

Hamid
Message 3 of 8
wmhazzard

You could also revolve and join a sphere. 

Message 4 of 8
jeff.a.longo
in reply to: hamid.sh.

This is perfect! Thank you for the very fast response.
Message 5 of 8
jeff.a.longo

Is it possible to resolve the "seam" edge between the patch and the body? I'm putting a new hole into the body and am noticing issues with things like filets when they approach that seam.

Message 6 of 8
hamid.sh.

I am not at computer now but you may have luck with selecting these faces in my file and hit Delete on keyboard:

Delete and patch~2.png

Just keep in mind you should have selected ALL of the relevant faces, not just the two I have marked, so Fusion knows your intention is to remove those face sections rather opening the body (I guess you should select 4 faces, not sure though).

If that doesn't work, just remove all the faces of that dome and make a new one with Revolve like @wmhazzard suggested.

Hamid
Message 7 of 8
hamid.sh.

Here is the revolve version, though it's not clear for me the original outer surface was spherical in the first place. Also I might not have found the profile carefully enough. Check the sketch and adjust to your need:

Revolve.png

Another (simpler but non-spherical) method is delete all face above fillet and Patch with Tangent continuity: 

patch.png

Hamid
Message 8 of 8
jeff.a.longo

The patch tangent feature is fantastic! Thanks again for your suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report