Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Filling a complex spherical hole

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jeff.a.longo
410 Views, 7 Replies

Filling a complex spherical hole

I have this model of a controller imported as a STEP file. I would like to fill in the joystick opening (essentially, complete the sphere) shown below.  I've taken a few different approaches that have been unsuccessful.

jeffalongo_2-1647240179280.png

I tried using the "patch" surface feature. This seems to work pretty well in that it completes the shape that I want. 
jeffalongo_3-1647240200614.png

Now the problem I'm having is joining these two bodies, the controller and the patch, into one unified body. I first tried using the thicken option on the patch surface to give it the right depth then using the body join feature. This fails because there isn't a clear overlap. I then tried unstitching the controller, then stitching the patch + controller back together. The restitching always fails because of how the patch aligns with the joystick opening, even if I increase the tolerance to the maximum. I can never get the restitching to return a solid body.

Any tips on how I can complete this operation? I've attached the .f3d file.

Tags (1)
Labels (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
hamid.sh.
in reply to: jeff.a.longo

I simply deleted some faces, patched and stitched:

Delete and patch.png

File is attached.

Hamid
Message 3 of 8
wmhazzard

You could also revolve and join a sphere. 

Message 4 of 8
jeff.a.longo
in reply to: hamid.sh.

This is perfect! Thank you for the very fast response.
Message 5 of 8
jeff.a.longo

Is it possible to resolve the "seam" edge between the patch and the body? I'm putting a new hole into the body and am noticing issues with things like filets when they approach that seam.

Message 6 of 8
hamid.sh.

I am not at computer now but you may have luck with selecting these faces in my file and hit Delete on keyboard:

Delete and patch~2.png

Just keep in mind you should have selected ALL of the relevant faces, not just the two I have marked, so Fusion knows your intention is to remove those face sections rather opening the body (I guess you should select 4 faces, not sure though).

If that doesn't work, just remove all the faces of that dome and make a new one with Revolve like @wmhazzard suggested.

Hamid
Message 7 of 8
hamid.sh.

Here is the revolve version, though it's not clear for me the original outer surface was spherical in the first place. Also I might not have found the profile carefully enough. Check the sketch and adjust to your need:

Revolve.png

Another (simpler but non-spherical) method is delete all face above fillet and Patch with Tangent continuity: 

patch.png

Hamid
Message 8 of 8
jeff.a.longo

The patch tangent feature is fantastic! Thanks again for your suggestions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report