Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Determination of a flow cross section over the angle of a curved geometry

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jarrao.privat
584 Views, 4 Replies

Determination of a flow cross section over the angle of a curved geometry

Hello, everyone,
I have a small problem for a longer time, which I unfortunately cannot solve.
I would like to determine the flow cross-sectional area of two overlapping parts.
As an example I have a ball valve. If a ball valve is completely open, i.e. the opening degree = 100 %, the flow cross-sectional area is pi / 4 * d^2 .
When the ball closes, the cross-section decreases over the angle.

Unfortunately, it is not so easy to determine this cross-section, because the flow cross-section is defined in such a way that the resulting velocity vector points normally to this surface.

A colleague has created an Excel table for a simple case. He did this by placing a plane in the surface and then linking the angle of rotation to the surface in CATIA Kinematics. This resulted in a table with opening angle to the cross-sectional surface.

For more complex geometries, like the ones I have attached here, I unfortunately did not make it and I did not find anybody who would know how to do it.

Does anyone of you have an idea how I could do this with Fusion 360 or any other CAD software or whatever?

Labels (5)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
jodom4
in reply to: jarrao.privat

This forum is for discussions about Fusion 360's collaboration tools. I'm moving this post to the Design Document Validate forum where you'll be more likely to get some help.

-Jonathan

Jonathan Odom
Community Manager + Content Creator
Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 3 of 5

To make it more clear what i´m tryining to do, i attached some more screenshots. 
I try to get the marked flow area for all given angles. 

Message 4 of 5
LeonardoBN
in reply to: jarrao.privat

Hi @jarrao.privat.

Could you share this model? I would like to see it and think about it.

Leonardo Brunelli do Nascimento
Chemical Engineer
Message 5 of 5
jarrao.privat
in reply to: LeonardoBN

Hello, Leo,

I have only roughly created the model for demonstration purposes.
So I had already deleted it, but I redesigned it again and attached it to this post.

It would be really astonishing if you get the problem solved, because I have already talked to several CAD engineers, but only one of them was able to reproduce a small part of the surface with Catia kinematics.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report