Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free convection in thermal simulation

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
aaron.bame
327 Views, 1 Reply

Free convection in thermal simulation

I'm trying to do a simple proof of concept simulation of a rectangular fin heat sink with a known power input to the base in a quiescent environment. I can certainly try an iterative process by guessing a convection coefficient and iterating based on the results, but I was hoping to find a better method. I see that the simplify pre-processing allows for the creation of a fluid volume, but I'm not sure what thermal constraint to apply since I don't know what the temperature of the fins or air will be. I've tried having a large fluid volume with a constant ambient temperature condition on one face, but then the simulation returns a model of uniform temperature. As in, Tmin=Tmax=Tambient. Are there any suggestions besides guess and check?

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
John_Holtz
in reply to: aaron.bame

Hi @aaron.bame 

Free convection is too advanced for Fusion simulation. Autodesk CFD would be the best way to perform the analysis since it will calculate the fluid convective effects.

Until the Electronics Cooling becomes functional, "guess and check" like you say if what you would do in Fusion.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report